Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading to HD from DirecTivo - a couple questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TopCat99

TopCat99

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Wow, I haven't posted here in ages. I've missed this place! :grin:

OK so I finally decided to join this century and move up to HD. D* gave me a sweet deal on it and an installer is supposed to swing by next week with two HD DVRs and a plain HD receiver as well as a new dish.

My current set up, which was a self-install in the dark days of 2004, is an old RCA freebie, two Series 2 DirecTivos, and a 3 LNB dish. The receivers are fed by an Eagle Aspen 5x8 multiswitch in the basement. Before that, I had E* for a few years, which was also a self-install. I even had a one-way DirecPC setup that I did myself. They're making me take the pro install on this deal. So being at the mercy (I say that in the most polite way possible) of a professional installer for the first time, I'm a tad apprehensive on what to expect. Yes, I know what a standard install includes, but humor me. The two CSRs I spoke with weren't able to answer these questions.

1.) Because of LOS issues way back when, I stuck the dish on top of a shed about 20 feet from the house. Is this a setup an installer would/could work with? Or am I forced to have it moved to somewhere on the house, provided he can find LOS? (And I refuse to put it on the roof.)

2.) Also, I have a structured wiring setup. From what I've read, it doesn't seem an installer would object to running coax to the box instead of just slapping the connections wherever is shortest/most convenient at the time. Correct? Or, even easier, would he just reuse the coax already in place?

3.) Curiosity question: I told the CSR when I ordered that I wanted to add MRV at a later time. Does this guarantee me that I'll get an SWM? Personally I have no problem using the existing network jacks in each room I conveniently located by the TVs, but I'm hoping I can reduce the existing number of runs from the dish into the house.

4.) Finally, does the installer bring the new receivers or should I keep an eye out for UPS/FedEx?
Cable? We don't need no stinkin' cable!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

3.) Curiosity question: I told the CSR when I ordered that I wanted to add MRV at a later time. Does this guarantee me that I'll get an SWM? Personally I have no problem using the existing network jacks in each room I conveniently located by the TVs, but I'm hoping I can reduce the existing number of runs from the dish into the house.

4.) Finally, does the installer bring the new receivers or should I keep an eye out for UPS/FedEx?

I'll let others answer the first two. With MRV, you will get SWM. This will get you a supported system by DirecTV. Network jacks will work, but DirecTV won't support it.

The installer brings the receivers if you ordered directly through DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

The installer will bring the receivers.

However, you might want to know up-front that there is a nationwide shortage of HD equipment as well as MRV-related equipment (SWMs and DECAs), so depending on your luck, you may get installed easily or you may end up being rescheduled if there aren't enough of the right receivers on your installation day. MRV has greatly increased the number of HD upgrades, which has led to a prolonged shortage of equipment.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...