Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Kinect - Faddish gimmick or valuable addition

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

So. Exactly what the title says. Anyone had a chance to personally use the Xbox 360 Kinect? Any thoughts or reviews/comments on it?
The previews response time to movement seems fairly solid, but I'm not so sure about the market for these types of games as well as what kind developers could effectively produce. It looks like it could be good for families and fun that way, however the pickings so far are an adventures game where you jump and lean in a raft or hit dodgeballs, or an animal game where you "pet" your animal. You pet thin air. eh?
I am not really a codfish.

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

A friend is a beta tester for it. He's having fun with it so far. That's about all I know.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:41 AM

I'm interested in it, because it appears to be a far greater leap in technology than what the Wii and Playstation will offer.

They'll combine it with games that use the regular controller as well...I'm excited about what developers will be able to do with it.

Though that magic game for the Playstation Move looked pretty darn impressive at E3 as well.
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#4 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

I've heard that the magic game was very impressive as well. I was not fortunate enough to see it, but apparently it's got a lot of good hype.

#5 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

I just bought the Kinect today. So far it's pretty cool, the voice commands/response it awesome! The wife and kids are playing the Kinectinamls game right now and are loving it, big smiles all around! I think this has some great potential, nice effort by Microsoft!

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

Only time will tell.
All depends on how quickly the game catalog can build for it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:34 AM

I know one of the developers and he can not stop bragging about it. I think this could change the way we play video games but without a extensive game catalog, it will just be another gadget to sit on the shelf.

He also mentioned that Nintendo has plans to release something similar to it in the very near future.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#8 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,284 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

Meh, I can't get excited about it. I have a Wii, that seems to keep the kids and me happy well enough. Mariokart Wii, Woohoo! :P
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm certainly tempted to get it.

#10 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

I went ahead and ordered one via Amazon. I kept debating but overall reviews seemed pretty good. I think this may bring in more "Casusal" gamers to Xbox. I like that you stay more active in the game rather then sitting on a couch and playing.

#11 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Picked one up today. The launch games are weak but I thought that when the Wii came out. I have played Kinect Adventures for a couple hours now and I have certainly had fun. I think it will only get better once the game companies buy in.

I am happy with my purchase.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#12 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

Earl said it. The games right now are crappy. If they can start implementing the tech in good games then I'll think about getting it.

#13 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 614 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:25 AM

I received mine on release day. I works really well. So far My teen grandkids love it. It does take quite a bit of play room. Put sliders on the legs of the coffee table to move it out of the way. Only have the starter game pack so far but it is a winner. Kids love it and I will b getting the exercise game soon!
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'm curious to see reviews from users. Conceptually, I love the idea there's no controller, but wonder how well that works for games like bowling, tennis, etc? I think holding something in your hands, like the Playstation wands might actually be better for those types of games.

We have a Wii, but I thought the controller could be improved. The PS3 controller does look like it might be a better design.

Or am I just thinking a controller is needed in hand because I "broke in" with a Wii? :scratchin
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

Conceptually, I love the idea there's no controller, but wonder how well that works for games like bowling, tennis, etc? I think holding something in your hands, like the Playstation wands might actually be better for those types of games.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Just running through some of the motions (Bowling, Tennis, Basketball, Golf, etc) it feels awkward not to have something in your hand.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Just running through some of the motions (Bowling, Tennis, Basketball, Golf, etc) it feels awkward not to have something in your hand.

I suppose we could hold "props" in our hands anyway, but I don't know if that would affect the accuracy of the camera tracking our hand movements.

Otherwise, I'm thinking the PS3 may be the way to go. Their baton seems to be an improvement over the Wii controller, and I'll bet they can track it extremely accurately, looking at how it's designed.
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

I suppose we could hold "props" in our hands anyway, but I don't know if that would affect the accuracy of the camera tracking our hand movements.

Otherwise, I'm thinking the PS3 may be the way to go. Their baton seems to be an improvement over the Wii controller, and I'll bet they can track it extremely accurately, looking at how it's designed.

What is your opinion of the Wii controller with Wii motion?

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#18 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I've been hearing great things about how well its working out for families and getting everyone involved in the games. That is appealing, now I just need 150$. 200$ to get an extra game with it.

This brings me to my next point:

Does anyone have 200$ to send me?
I'll pretend I'm a millionaire in dubai that needs 200$ to give you millions if you'd like.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

What is your opinion of the Wii controller with Wii motion?

I haven't tried it. I knew that Kinect and Playstation Motion were coming out, so I wanted to wait until the dust settled before I invested more in the Wii, because I also like the higher resolution graphics of the other two platforms.
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   Mikemok1981

Mikemok1981

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

I've heard some exceptionally poor reviews of the PS Move. I've heard that the tracking is glitchy, the space needed is inconvinient, and most of the games out for it are poorly designed. Most of the games I've seen to to calibrate all the time for movement and even then it doesnt react very well to your moves.

spam firewall