Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Kinect - Faddish gimmick or valuable addition

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

I've heard some exceptionally poor reviews of the PS Move. I've heard that the tracking is glitchy, the space needed is inconvinient, and most of the games out for it are poorly designed. Most of the games I've seen to to calibrate all the time for movement and even then it doesnt react very well to your moves.

I haven't tried it, but I read this review with interest. The reviewer mentioned that room size was important:

The definition of "too close" or "too far" changed on a game-by-game basis, too. One would say eight feet, another five and yet another 3.3 (one meter). Playing Move games in my den – a small room where I sit maybe four feet from the TV – was hit or miss.

But then added this:

This said, when I met the proper line-of-sight and distance needs of the hardware and software, the tracking and accuracy of the Move was astounding.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

The Kinect is a lot of fun. I own a Wii and the Move as well and while the experiences are similar, the Kinect's does differ. The Wii (with Wii motion plus) and the Move do a fantastic job with 1:1 motion tracking in your hand but there is something really cool about not needing to hold anything. Also, the way that the Kinect maps your head, both hands and feet add a new dimension to motion gaming. I have yet to hear one of my friends say anything short of, "this is awesome!" when playing Kinect Adventures or Sports.

It definitely does need a TON of room for it to be fully effective which is easily its biggest negative points. The casual games are a lot of fun and I love how they capture your friends and you playing them in either photos or video that can be uploaded to Facebook for lots of laughs.

I look forward to them adding support to the more hardcore games. Imagine playing a Rainbow Six game where you can give hand signals to your squad or leaning out to your side, as an example.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#23 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

I went ahead and ordered one via Amazon. I kept debating but overall reviews seemed pretty good. I think this may bring in more "Casusal" gamers to Xbox. I like that you stay more active in the game rather then sitting on a couch and playing.

I make "Casual" gamers look hard core in comparison. As part of my job I had a Kinect about a month before it came out. The first night it was pretty cool, my kid loved it and I enjoyed messing with it. By the third night it became just another thing to dust. My kid loves racing games and standing up while pretending to hold a steering wheel just doesn't cut it for him. As for me, by the second day I didn't even touch the xbox. So in my opinion it will appeal to casual gamers for a limited time, at best.

#24 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

[...] My kid loves racing games and standing up while pretending to hold a steering wheel just doesn't cut it for him.

I'm curious, if you hold a "prop" steering wheel in your hand, does that throw off the camera tracking?
/steve

#25 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

Tried it at Best Buy. I really wanted to like it, but I was very disappointed.

#26 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

I make "Casual" gamers look hard core in comparison. ... As for me, by the second day I didn't even touch the xbox. So in my opinion it will appeal to casual gamers for a limited time, at best.

:rolleyes:

So it's not your thing, and you're not really the intended audience, and you didn't care for it, so it's doomed?

Sales say the opposite.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#27 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

I have now had my Kinect for a few weeks, as was said the included game is kind of boring to play but it helps teach you how Kinect really works. I think it's a great item for sports games, you are actually now more or less in the game. It keeps you moving and active. I like that it can respond to both body movement and voice commands. I hope to purchase a few more games in the coming month to play with it more. I like the fact you don't have to be holding a stick or something else to get it to repsond. I am really looking forward to some of the future launch games that have been written about.

#28 OFFLINE   papa_azteca

papa_azteca

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

We purchased the Kinect on launch day and Kinect Sports. We have since been "renting" Kinect games from Gamefly to determine which games we are getting our kids for Christmas. We have a range of gamers in our house and a range of ages. Everyone from our 4-yr-old to me enjoy the variety of titles out there. We had no issues with multiple players of varying heights (I'm 5'11" and I played along side my 4-yr-old with no issues in tracking the differences). That being said, some titles fell flat for us.

The games that were enjoyed best in our house were: Kinect Adventures (own) Kinect Sports (own), Dance Central, Joyride and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. All of these games had great response to all shapes and sizes of player with no tracking issues.

The games we were disappointed in were: Zumba Fitness and Sonic Free Riders. Both of these games had terrible tracking issues. Zumba Fitness didn't give any feedback responses to what my daughter and wife were doing incorrectly and they got frustrated with just trying to attempt the same move over and over. They decided to do the tutorial and they seemed to get all the steps by just standing than actually moving. Sonic Free Riders didn't feel comfortable for us and felt we had to "lllleeeeaaaaannnnn" in order to control the character. Our 11 and 7-yr-olds got tired of it really quickly and these 2 games were returned within a couple of days of receiving them.

We are awaiting Kinectimals (although we think that our 4-yr-old will enjoy this one more than the other kids), Adrenalin Misfits and Dance Masters to try out before our final Christmas rush to the store.

All of this being said, we as a family, have really enjoyed the Kinect as an addition to our gaming collection. We do own a Wii and right now it is not getting any game time. I personally do enjoy the voice-command function of it and it works quite well (although our 4-yr-old thinks I have totally lost my mind by talking to our XBOX; his looks to me are priceless!). My cousin has one as well and we have tested the video chat and it works quite well and my daughter is looking forward to using this feature after Christmas when her friend in another state receives one.

We don't think that it's for everyone but we do think that everyone should give it a try. And try different games because not all games are for everyone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...