Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Retrans Dispute with Fox over 50% Hike (Closed Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2031 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:26 AM

Well, it's time for another round of retransmission fighting.

http://www.myfoxdfw....on-DISH-Network
http://www.tvpredict...shfox090810.htm

Rumors are indicating October 1st as a drop date for Fox Sports channels, FX and NatGeo with November 1st a drop date for some local Fox affiliates. Anyone else heard anything about it?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:12 AM

i think dish network should do us all a favor and just file for chapter 11. they are in my opnion the worst tv provider ever. [Redacted]

Edited by Kent Taylor, 09 September 2010 - 08:06 AM.
Redacted obscene comment.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Since you don't have them, why do you care if they are bad/good/indifferent?

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   habsfan66

habsfan66

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

Well, it's time for another round of retransmission fighting.

http://www.myfoxdfw....on-DISH-Network
http://www.tvpredict...shfox090810.htm

Rumors are indicating October 1st as a drop date for Fox Sports channels, FX and NatGeo with November 1st a drop date for some local Fox affiliates. Anyone else heard anything about it?

So would this mean that any NHL games carried by these stations would not be in the Center Ice package?

#5 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Highly unlikely IMO this will happen. The phones will be ringing off the hook if even one minute of an NFL game on a Sunday is not carried by E* due to renewal disagreements.

If it were not this time of year I could see it lingering for awhile but with season premieres and NFL I expect this to be resolved.

#6 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Highly unlikely IMO this will happen. The phones will be ringing off the hook if even one minute of an NFL game on a Sunday is not carried by E* due to renewal disagreements.

If it were not this time of year I could see it lingering for awhile but with season premieres and NFL I expect this to be resolved.

I agree, SDWC. E* would be commiting suicide by losing FOX. If that "does" happen, E* "WILL" be filing for Chapter 11 due to the enormous loss of subscribers.

#7 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

We have until Oct 1st before anything happens? Shoot until then it's still all posturing and negotiating, it's not a dispute until channels are actually pulled and money stops being paid.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Yep, that is all it is. But it does seem that the posturing is starting earlier and getting dirtier more quickly than in the past.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

I expect the cost of my Top 200 package to rise at least 10% a year for the next decade as the media conglomerates exert their power - which means I expect it to double while the inflation rate hovers around 1%-2% a year.

I'm pretty sure most here understand the nature of the negotiations that are going on. It had already become pretty clear to me that we would soon see one of the broadcast networks tied into cable channel negotiations and it doesn't surprise me that it is Rupert Murdoch's operation.

Here's a list published by the research firm SNL Kagan showing what a typical cable carrier paid for channels in 2009:

Posted Image

How much of an increase do you want to pay News Corp? Taking only the News Corp channels in the first two columns and including a low number for the Fox Broadcast Network channel in your area not owned by News Corp, here's examples of possible increases you might be asked to pay by News Corp, the company that talks many in the nation into believing government regulation is bad:

Posted Image

Assuming Dish passes through an increase, what seems fair to you? My guess is that Murdoch will ask for $2.59 plus whatever he wants for network affiliate channels Fox owns. Charlie will offer something like 3% which would be $0.16 and everything will depend on who blinks enough.

If you think what Dish does isn't important, the stakes are simply that Charlie will hold out if he thinks it is too much. Whatever he finally agrees to will become the starting point in the future for any other cable or satellite provider. It will also become the starting point for future negotiations with the NBCU-Comcast group, Showtime/MTV group, Disney/ABC group, etc.

It will be interesting to see if Charlie can handle the threats many of his customers will make like some of you here. If he can't, you should expect your TV costs to double while your income stagnates.

And don't start chatting about breaking up the packages into a la carte. Murdoch knows that won't work for him and it's what he thinks that counts, thinking that does not include the best interest of 100,000,000 American households.

This situation makes me angry as it was predictable. I think regulations create the monopolies (particularly at the broadcast network level) for the owner of Fox News which he successfully lobbies to keep in place, along with the other media conglomerates. But the rates he can extort won't be regulated - they are left to the "marketplace" as his shills would proudly proclaim.:mad:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Agree! They'll settle this quickly. Too much riding on it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

I expect the cost of my Top 200 package to rise at least 10% a year for the next decade as the media conglomerates exert their power - which means I expect it to double while the inflation rate hovers around 1%-2% a year.

I could chart it over the course of a decade, but isn't that pretty much how it has gone so far? Even with some type of variance, the package pricing has gone up 5 to 10 percent yearly, no?

I'm pretty sure most here understand the nature of the negotiations that are going on. It had already become pretty clear to me that we would soon see one of the broadcast networks tied into cable channel negotiations and it doesn't surprise me that it is Rupert Murdoch's operation.

I could swear Dish Network had a dispute with Viacom when Viacom had CBS under it's belt, and all Viacom programming was pulled. So this certainly isn't a first.

If you think what Dish does isn't important, the stakes are simply that Charlie will hold out if he thinks it is too much. Whatever he finally agrees to will become the starting point in the future for any other cable or satellite provider. It will also become the starting point for future negotiations with the NBCU-Comcast group, Showtime/MTV group, Disney/ABC group, etc.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I would think that DirecTV has carriage contracts, no? Why is Charlie "the most important man in the world", when everyone has contracts coming up for renewal? Is it because we on these forums hear about these programming disputes over and over again, but mainly from the Dish Network camp? After all, there has never been a proven argument one way or another that "what Charlie does" actually helps, except for when he caught the green (as in new) negotiating team of Lifetime flat-footed and Lifetime signed off on a deal that hurt them.

It's a bunch of sabre-rattling.

And before I forget, Fox doesn't own every "Fox Regional Sports Net". They own quite a few of them, but not all of them, and their reach is not national, in the sense that I believe they are missing RSN's in 3 of the five largest markets.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

I agree, SDWC. E* would be commiting suicide by losing FOX. If that "does" happen, E* "WILL" be filing for Chapter 11 due to the enormous loss of subscribers.

I expect that FOX will settle and there won't be an outage. If there is one I expect it will be short.

As for the predictions of the death of DISH should the channels be dropped? Yeah, we've heard that before. The death of DISH is often held up as "certain" if they do not do something someone wants. And yet DISH survives.

If DISH ever gets to the point where the carriage of one channel or group of channels is life or death for the company the provider could demand anything they want. $100 per month per subscriber for the FOX signals pay it or go out of business!

Exaggerated hyperbole is possible on both sides of the argument ... and those who fall for the "you're going to lose your channels" web threats to get all hot and bothered don't help the situation. Somewhere in the middle is a point where FOX and DISH will end up. A little more than $0.00 per month per subscriber and a lot less than $100 per month per subscriber. Let those who are doing the deals do the deals.

#13 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

I expect that FOX will settle and there won't be an outage. If there is one I expect it will be short.

As for the predictions of the death of DISH should the channels be dropped? Yeah, we've heard that before. The death of DISH is often held up as "certain" if they do not do something someone wants. And yet DISH survives.

If DISH ever gets to the point where the carriage of one channel or group of channels is life or death for the company the provider could demand anything they want. $100 per month per subscriber for the FOX signals pay it or go out of business!

Exaggerated hyperbole is possible on both sides of the argument ... and those who fall for the "you're going to lose your channels" web threats to get all hot and bothered don't help the situation. Somewhere in the middle is a point where FOX and DISH will end up. A little more than $0.00 per month per subscriber and a lot less than $100 per month per subscriber. Let those who are doing the deals do the deals.

Maybe that's what happened to my package.Had to call in to get off of the .01 cent Cinemax deal,went ahead and cancelled all my other Premium Movie services,HBO,Showtime,Starz.Got rid of the SuperStations,told the CSR wanted AT250 only.
Now at the bottom of my AT250 it says"No sports" online so I don't have FSW,CSW and Prime.The CSR even quoted me a cheaper price for AT250 than I was paying before.Which to me is no big deal I don't care for sports anyways.Heck they can take all the sports out of my package and give me the cheaper price,I'll be happy.:)

#14 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Maybe that's what happened to my package.Had to call in to get off of the .01 cent Cinemax deal,went ahead and cancelled all my other Premium Movie services,HBO,Showtime,Starz.Got rid of the SuperStations,told the CSR wanted AT250 only.
Now at the bottom of my AT250 it says"No sports" online so I don't have FSW,CSW and Prime.The CSR even quoted me a cheaper price for AT250 than I was paying before.Which to me is no big deal I don't care for sports anyways.Heck they can take all the sports out of my package and give me the cheaper price,I'll be happy.:)

Correction: just checked my AT250,it's still $64.99.

#15 OFFLINE   biz

biz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

This is why I retain my outdoor HD antenna. With HD Absolute, I don't get FX, or FSN anyhow.

Agree, in football season, and baseball playoffs..no Fox = ticked off subscribers!

#16 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

well i click the link in the opening post of this thread, the Fox 4 link (the local fox station here in the DFW area, which is my TV Market, living in Campbell, just Northeast of Dallas) sent me to an error message

here's what the error message says:

Uh oh... that page could not be found.

You wound up here, so obviously something went wrong. Either the page you were looking for does not exist or there was an error processing your request.

Please double-check the URL that brought you here and try again. You can also try using the site navigation or search tool to look for the content you were trying to find.

Click here to return to the home page.

so there could be two things,
a.) the page is not yet fully created as we are entering the second weekend of this month, and the contract ends at 11:59:59 PM on September 30th (not sure which time zone it would be ending at), so it would be a little early for a dispute headup page to be posted, those usally come out the week of the pending contract expiration.

or

b.)they signed a new deal in advance to prevent to pulling of channels or made a deal to keep the channels on while they work on a deal to keep them on long term for years to come.

let's hope the dispute doesn't result in more channels lost on Dish, Dish made the mouse mad and the Dolan's hate Dish with a passion. we lost a few HD feed of Disney owned networks this year as well as MSG's Fuse. and not to mention, despite the dispute over The Weather Channel, we were lucky that Dish and NBC-Universal were on good terms right now, but it won't be if the comcast take over is approved by the Department of Justice and the SEC (not the NCAA conference one but the stocks one).
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#17 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

i'm still upset about the disney channels, if they aren't on soon, time to move on, loosing fox would be the nail in the coffin
DB8 OTA Antenna
Channel master HDDVR CM700pal
PS3
Netflix
NHL Center ICE Live streaming
Sony Surround
Sharp Auquos 32"
Sanyo Z2000 1080P Projector
114" custom paint screen
Onkyo SR-800 Surround

#18 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if, and that's a big if, Dish drops Fox affiliates will the EPG have data for those of us who receive it OTA?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#19 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

I wonder if, and that's a big if, Dish drops Fox affiliates will the EPG have data for those of us who receive it OTA?

Thankfully I don't watch FOX that much.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#20 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

With all the noise about the fight with Dish and FOX.
What do you folks think will happen to CI if the FOX sports channels go away?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...