Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Retrans Dispute with Fox over 50% Hike (Closed Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2031 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:25 PM

A note from the Uplink Report ...
DISH mirrored all of the sports channels except those in question to the 9600 range.
They are "not available" but my hunch is that those that lose their Fox will get these channels during the outage. Those who already have Multi-Sport??? I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Well ... they became available, but with a regional restriction that made them unavailable in most of the country. Probably not there for the purpose that I thought (unless they change the regions on our receivers overnight or change the mask at 3am).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:29 PM

I'm sure it will all work out. In passing, it is worth noting the list of broadcast stations owned by Fox:

Posted Image

Of course, they are all not up for negotiations right now. And given Fox's ratings the first two weeks of this fall season they really can't afford to have some taken down. But it gives one a feel for the level of extortion possible pressure they could bring when one adds it together with the fanaticism of the sports fans.

Figure $250 for a decent package in a few years.:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#183 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

Looks like it went dark after all. We lost MSG as well.

LOL their loop saying sorry says that they are providing the sports pack as a compensation...too bad they just lost most of the channels in the sports pack too lol. If this isn't resolved within a couple weeks, Dish is going to go bankrupt.

Edited by Eksynyt, 01 October 2010 - 01:09 AM.

#184 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

and it's official Dish has lost more channels, all in a span of a year, way to go Dish. :mad:
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#185 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

Sports Pack Channels now available ...
9660 CSNCA CSN California
9661 ALTUD Altitude
9664 FOXRM FOX Rocky Mountain
9665 CSNBA CSN Bay Area
9666 FOXNW FOX NorthwestChanged
9667 CSNMA CSN Mid AtlanticChanged
9668 FOXPT FOX PittsburghChanged
9669 CSNCH CSN Chicago
9670 STO Sports Time OhioChanged
9671 MASN Mid-Atlantic Sports Net
9672 MASN2 Mid-Atlantic Sports Net 2
9673 NESN New England Sports Network
9674 CSNNE CSN New England
9676 SNY Sports Net NY
9677 BIG10 Big Ten Sports Network
9678 ESPCL ESPN Classic
9679 NFL NFL Network
9681 NHLN NHL Network
9682 NBATV NBA TV

My local Fox Sports is still under a blackout restriction for a game replay, but the EPG says:
"FOX has pulled this channel after demanding an outrageous rate increase from DISH Network. Call FOX and ask for your channel back! 310-369-1000."

FX, NATGEO, FX HD and NATGEO HD are still there at the moment.

#186 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Video loop up on the twelve removed Fox channels with Charlie explaining things.
Does not affect Fox News or Fox business.
Gives Fox phone number and email addresses as well as Charlie's email address.
The 20 channels available are in the 9660-9682 range (as noted).

http://www.JoinTheFightAgainstFox.com/

The website is currently broken ...

#187 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:36 AM

If this isn't resolved within a couple weeks, Dish is going to go bankrupt.

Somehow I doubt this.

Even though I hate losing channels... FX and National Geographic are not the jewels in the crown that people couldn't adapt to do without.

The sports channels might cause more revolt, actually... but then the huge sports fans should probably already be DirecTV subscribers anyway.

I like sports, but I'd like to see Dish fighting price increases more right about now.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#188 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

Time to switch to the much better satellite provider...the one that can actually keep the channels on (except Versus...Comcast owned, they hate each other).

#189 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

Saw that;;;; My wife is going to hit the roof tomorrow!

Oh.. Nothing on Dish website yet but this is on the main page. :(

Posted Image

One side note here: We pay for programming. While the comments on the block out seem logically they just don't hold water. We already have to watch MLB via computer which was not a cheap setup.

I am now checking the foxnews website to see if they offer subscription video feed like MLB. Damn if they do I will get it but this is not going to save me money! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Video loop up on the twelve removed Fox channels with Charlie explaining things.
Does not affect Fox News or Fox business.
Gives Fox phone number and email addresses as well as Charlie's email address.
The 20 channels available are in the 9660-9682 range (as noted).

http://www.JoinTheFightAgainstFox.com/

The website is currently broken ...

Edited by grog, 01 October 2010 - 02:00 AM.

Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#190 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:54 AM

Saw that;;;; My wife is going to hit the roof tomorrow!

Oh.. Nothing on Dish website yet but this is on the main page. :(

Posted Image

Referring to ATT UVERSE dropping the Hallmark Channels.

BTW: FX is airing the HD Net Movies feed. NatGeo is airing the HD Theater feed. Channels normally available only in Platinum HD.

#191 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:02 AM

That's just fine and dandy for those who are not paying for Platinum HD... what about us who already have it? We are just screwed!

This may very well be the last straw and I know it will cost to change but screw it!

Referring to ATT UVERSE dropping the Hallmark Channels.

BTW: FX is airing the HD Net Movies feed. NatGeo is airing the HD Theater feed. Channels normally available only in Platinum HD.

Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#192 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:04 AM

well i just did a whois search on Godaddy.com and yes, the site jointhefightagainstfox.com is in fact owned by Dish Network, so it's there counter site against Fox's getwhatipaidfor.com

#193 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:12 AM

Sorry; this sounds like a court case ready to happen. I expect we won't see Fox sports for many years to come on Dish.

This is one fight I just don't want any part of.

So far I have not found any way around the problem other than changing carriers. I may give Fox a phone call tomorrow to see if they offer network video feeds but right now it does not look good.

For the record: If FoxSport offered a network video feed for the FOX Sports channels I would be fine with paying the same rates I do for MSN right now..... Just need the channels!

Personally; if it was not for the sports I would be fine with just OTA.

Good news: U-verse carries the networks and they have coverage in my neighborhood. :) At least there is a solution.

well i just did a whois search on Godaddy.com and yes, the site jointhefightagainstfox.com is in fact owned by Dish Network, so it's there counter site against Fox's getwhatipaidfor.com

Edited by grog, 01 October 2010 - 02:22 AM.

Magnavox 720p 19" LCD

#194 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

That's just fine and dandy for those who are not paying for Platinum HD... what about us who already have it? We are just screwed!

DISH can't "compensate" by adding channels that it doesn't have permission to carry. HD Movies and HD Theater are easy targets.

Giving Multi-pack to all subscribers (including AT120 subscribers, if I read the uplink data correctly) doesn't compensate those who already pay for Multi-Sport ... but it is what they can do for most of their customers - those who just lost their one local Fox channel who can watch the Fox shows on other RSNs.

The channels have been out an hour. There is no telling how DISH will compensate those who already have Platinum or Multi-Sport. They usually do something.

DISH cannot deliver channels without a contract ... that WILL get them to court and possibly a long term outage. For now, they are doing what they can.

BTW: The DISH vs Fox website is running now:

We regret that FOX Networks, the owner of FX and National Geographic Channel, has removed their channels from the DISH Network line-up effective October 1.

FOX has demanded a rate increase of more than 50%. An increase this large would force DISH Network to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do during these tough economic times.

DISH Network will continue to work for a fair agreement. Feel free to share your thoughts and concerns by e-mailing us at president@dishnetwork.com. We assure you that we will read every e-mail we receive.

#195 OFFLINE   CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

It does not look good imo, yesterday I got a inbox message on Facebook from a guy who said he was a Dish rep and since I was being very vocal on Facebook cause I am on Dish's side, and he asked could I help voice my opinion on the matter, I sent him a message back and said I would help anyways possiable. he then asked for my e mail address in which I gave him, I then get an e mail last night from a lady from the public relations department at Dish (I did call to check it out cause her office number was in the e mail and it indeed went to have office) and she asked the same questions ect... about if I could help out I said sure then she sent me an e mail back and asked for my phone number in which I gave her, she then e mailed me back and said she would be in touch.

IMO I just don't think the first guy I spoke with or this lady would be going to so much trouble to get my opinion on this unless it was going to be a long term outage thats just what I think.

Andy

#196 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

now that we know that we lost these channels, the bigger question is, How long until they resolve the dispute, and will it lead to a lawsuit for there refusal to keep carrying these channels.

#197 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

I'm guessing these channels will never come back. Dish is going to lose a TON of subscribers for being this cheap. I admire what Dish is trying to do and their efforts but it has been a colossal failure. I don't see how they can stay afloat in this economy. I predict they will be bankrupt and selling to DirecTV within a few years.

#198 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:14 AM

If you really think the channels won't come back, you are uninformed on how the business works and have no business posting.

#199 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

Programmer Seeks to Shake Down DISH Network and its Customers with Massive Rate Increase

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct 01, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- (Nasdaq: DISH) -- DISH Network L.L.C. reports today that FOX Networks is blocking DISH Network's access to 19 FOX Regional Sports Networks and other programming. FOX is demanding a new contract with an unprecedented rate increase of more than 50 percent. FOX's removal of the channels follows the programmer's national TV, print and web advertising campaign designed to intimidate DISH Network and its customers into paying the rate increase. FOX has flatly refused DISH Network's request to allow customers to continue to watch these FOX channels during the negotiations.

(Logo: http://photos.prnews...611/LA19624LOGO)
(Logo: http://www.newscom.c...611/LA19624LOGO)

These negotiations with FOX do not affect local FOX TV stations, FOX News or FOX Business News.

"DISH Network is not going to allow FOX or any programmer to bully our customers into paying such an unconscionable price increase," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "FOX has a long history of trying to shake down pay TV providers, including Cablevision, Time Warner, and Bright House."

Shull continued, "Our customers should not be held hostage in order to finance FOX's irresponsible acquisition of sports rights. Consumers are already burdened enough in this challenging economy."

DISH Network will continue to negotiate in good faith for a fair deal with FOX to help restore the sports programming and prevent outrageous rate increases in this challenging economic environment. In the meantime, during the FOX lockout, DISH Network will make the following channels available to all affected customers at no additional charge: HD Net Movies, HD Theater, NBA TV, New England Sports Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, Altitude Sports, Big Ten Network, Comcast SportsNet California, Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Comcast Sports Network Mid-Atlantic, Comcast Sports New England, ESPN Classic, FOX Sports Northwest, FOX Sports Pittsburgh, FOX Sports Rocky Mountain, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network2, SportsNet New York, and SportsTime Ohio.

DISH Network has created a series of websites to help inform consumers about the nature of this dispute:
www.FoxShakedownDISH.com,
www.WeOfferedFoxAFairDeal.com,
www.FoxRefused.com,
www.HowMuchMoreCanWeTake.com.

For additional information about DISH Network's fight for consumer choice, visit
www.DISHWillContinueToFightForCustomers.com,
www.ForceFedChannels.com,
www.JoinTheFightAgainstFox.com.

About DISH Network
DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the most national HD channels, the most HD local coverage in the U.S., the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP 922, the world's only DVR with built-in Sling functionality and PC Magazine's "Editor's Choice." DISH Network is first in Customer Satisfaction among all cable and satellite providers according to the 2010 American Customer Satisfaction Index survey results for the U.S. largest cable and satellite TV providers. DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

SOURCE DISH Network Corporation

#200 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:03 AM

I'm guessing these channels will never come back. Dish is going to lose a TON of subscribers for being this cheap. I admire what Dish is trying to do and their efforts but it has been a colossal failure. I don't see how they can stay afloat in this economy. I predict they will be bankrupt and selling to DirecTV within a few years.

Since this happened sometime after midnight... and most folk aren't even aware yet that it has happened... there's still a possibility for the channels to come back on before anyone even knows!

But I think it will take longer than that... probably at least until Monday... and yes, it may go longer.

This is not the thing that will drive Dish into bankruptcy, though. Not by a long shot. Heck, we barely even discuss the Disney channel HD feeds that were dropped several weeks ago... or several other channels dropped months or a year+ ago... and while these channels have their fans (as do many others), this doesn't feel "last straw"-like to me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...