Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Issues Receiving B-Band converters from Directv...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:14 AM

Has anyone recently had B-Band converters sent to you from Directv?

When I activated a new HR24, I needed the B-Band Converters. So I called Directv, they said they would send out 2. So the guys gives me an order number and 2 days later I receive ONE envelope. That envelope contained ONE B-Band converter. In looking at the envelope, the original label(which was mangled) was retaped onto a new envelope with a Fedex relabel notificaion sticker as well. SO it was repackaged.

I called Directv asking if I should have gotten 2 or one in the envelope. They said one and gave me the tracking number of the other package. Fedex said they never received that package from Directv, only the billing info. So I call Directv and they agree to send me 2 MORE(since they can't send only one).

So... 2 days later, the Fedex guys shows up with ONE envelope which is torn OPEN(torn at the top like you would normally open an envelope) already and it contains ONE B-Band converter. He asks me to inspect the contents and I see one converter and that is all I needed at that point so I accepted. I NEVER received a second envelope with the other B-Band converter. I never called Fedex but the tracking shows billing ifo received but nothing more(same as the prior one that Fedex claims they never received).

So in summary, Directv sent me 4 converters and I received only 2, with BOTH coming in damaged/opened envelopes. I don't know what is going on but it almost seems like someone may be stealing the converters.

Anyone have this happen. I ask because it happened twice to me, with both times being almost identical in what happened.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

So in summary, Directv sent me 4 converters and I received only 2, with BOTH coming in damaged/opened envelopes. I don't know what is going on but it almost seems like someone may be stealing the converters.

Anyone have this happen. I ask because it happened twice to me, with both times being almost identical in what happened.

If they want them that bad I have six I no longer need...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would be stealing them. The only place they can be used, is on a directv receiver and obviously directv will send em to ya for free so they really have no resale value but it is definitely odd to have gotten 2 apparently opened packages in a row.

#4 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

A couple weeks ago i ordered two and got two i think your problem is with Fedex.

#5 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Don't know what a B-Band converter is but definitely five finger discounting going on at Fedex. Personally I wouldn't have accepted any opened packages unless the contents list in the still-sealed plastic pocket proves it wasn't tampered with and was just torn open by the sorting machine.

I once bought a dvd online and it was supposed to be shipped cross-country by US Postal Service. It never arrived and the company I bought it from apparently couldn't track it. A few months later a letter comes from the postal service saying there was a problem with a machine at the originating post office in Oregon and the enclosed shipping label was found behind the machine. The shipping label didn't have a lick of glue or tape residue on it and looked like it had never even been attached to any package. Was very fishy to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if FedEx has thieves working for them. I know a guy who was fired from the local UPS distribution center after his daughter was caught activating a cell phone he had stolen from a package that was reported by the recipient as not delivered. UPS takes thieves very seriously and goes to great lengths to stop them. I think the state police and local AG were even involved in the case.

#6 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

A week ago I ordered a hd-dvr. When the box came it was obvious that it had been opened. When I opened it the box was full of blank check paper. Called directv and the csr was surprised (never heard that one before). Two days later I got a replacement. In the end though I would still rather get a package from FedEx then USPS. My mail man treats packages like ace ventura does.

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

I always keep a few extras on hand as I've found ones go bad and can easily swap in new ones. Waiting until you need them is a bad idea. I'd order a few each year just to have on hand.

I would guess the issue is with FedEX. Can you get tracking numbers from D*?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

I've had 8 for several years, never had one go bad. If anybody wants them, PM me.

Or I've found stopping a DTV truck and a tip gets you a couple.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

When I got my HR-24, I ordered B-Band Converters on the DirecTv website. The order page said they might take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. They never arrived.

However, since I thought they might take more than a month to arrive, I bought a pair on E-bay. Those arrived in 3 days.

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

I can't imagine why anyone would be stealing them. The only place they can be used, is on a directv receiver and obviously directv will send em to ya for free so they really have no resale value but it is definitely odd to have gotten 2 apparently opened packages in a row.

Cause you can get like $12 for them on ebay, because for some reason people pay money for them. :shrug:

When I got my HR-24, I ordered B-Band Converters on the DirecTv website. The order page said they might take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. They never arrived.

The website doesn't work for ordering BBCs.

However, since I thought they might take more than a month to arrive, I bought a pair on E-bay. Those arrived in 3 days.

See evan? A simple phone call and they are free, and there in only 2 days. :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

See evan? A simple phone call and they are free, and there in only 2 days. :lol:

Dang. I should have read more here before buying.:)

#12 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

Cause you can get like $12 for them on ebay, because for some reason people pay money for them. :shrug:

2 days???? You must be lucky then. I recently bought a H24 receiver that didn't even come with any B band converters. When I was talking to DTV they told me they would send me one. It never came. I ended up having to pay $9 at a store (who also installs DTV dishes etc) I got tired of waiting and it turned out it was a good thing I bought one since the one DTV was supposed to send me never showed up

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Huh. All the times I have ordered them, they are there in 2 days.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#14 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:35 AM

I order 2 3 weeks ago and they haven't arrived.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#15 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:20 AM

I always keep a few extras on hand as I've found ones go bad and can easily swap in new ones. Waiting until you need them is a bad idea. I'd order a few each year just to have on hand.

I would guess the issue is with FedEX. Can you get tracking numbers from D*?

Yes, I got the tracking numbers. Directv sent them in 2 different envelopes so 2 different packages the first time. I got one, in an obviously repackaged envelope, but never received the 2nd. When I gave Fedex the tacking number, they said they never received the package from Directv, only the billing info. The 2nd time was almost identical, but instead of receiving one in a repakaged envelope, it was in the original envelop, but opened.

2 days???? You must be lucky then. I recently bought a H24 receiver that didn't even come with any B band converters. When I was talking to DTV they told me they would send me one. It never came. I ended up having to pay $9 at a store (who also installs DTV dishes etc) I got tired of waiting and it turned out it was a good thing I bought one since the one DTV was supposed to send me never showed up

When I initially called( I had gotten an HR24 and needed them), the lady activated my HR24 and said she would send out the BBC's... I waited over a week and nothing. When I called back, the person said there was no record of any BBC's being ordered, so he ordered me 2 and this time gave me the ORDER # right then and there. For the tracking number, I called back the next day.

So if you haven't received them yet, verify that they were even sent.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#16 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

What exactly is a B-Band Converter? I know it has something to do with HD and you connect them to both of the inputs on the back of the box. I know they were a requirement for the HR20 boxes when HD was first introduced but why would an HR24 or H24 need them?

#17 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Ok, there SHOULDN'T be a market for them. =)

#18 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

What exactly is a B-Band Converter? I know it has something to do with HD and you connect them to both of the inputs on the back of the box. I know they were a requirement for the HR20 boxes when HD was first introduced but why would an HR24 or H24 need them?

It takes a little bit of an explanation but really isn't that complicated. First a table to help it make sense

http://www.dbstalk.c...17&d=1215661908

Looking at the output IF frequencies, this is basically the frequencies of the signals coming down the cable from the LNB to the receiver. The H/HR 20, 21,22 and 24 can not directly tune the Ka-Lo frequencies at 250-750. It is outside of the range of the tuners. The now discontinued H/HR23 is the only receiver that can tune those frequencies directly and never needs a bbc. The bbc gets around this by taking the Ka-lo and shifting it up to the place of the Ka-Hi and blocking the Ka-Hi signal when the bcc gets a signal from the receiver. So everything but a H/HR23 switches back and forth between Ka-Lo and Ka-Hi at the 1650-2150 MHz range depending on if the BBC is on or off. Since D10 and D11 are both in Ka Lo you don't get most of the HD channels (local and national) with out a BBC hooked up but the new channels from D12 and the locals from the Spaceway sats are in Ka-Hi and can actually be tuned to with out the BBC.

Now, the obvious next question is why did they add them to the H/HR23 and then stop making them and not include them in the H/HR24. The simple answer is that they don't need them on a SWiM system and they are moving towards everything being SWiM. Because SWiM works differently there is nothing in the Ka-Lo area that the H/HR 20,21,22,24 can't tune to so they don't need a BBC on a SWiM system. Why spend money on a more expensive tuner to remove the need for a BBC if that is only an issue on legacy setups that you are moving away from anyway?

spam firewall