Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recording Alerts forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

Closing the Recording Alerts forum is REALLY a stupid idea. There is way to much BullS### in the TV Show talk forum.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

The recording alerts forum doesn't have a lot of traffic and drifted away from its original intent. The TV Show talk forum is much better suited for the subject matter contained in the alerts forum.

As far as the TV Show talk forum having BS, that depends on who you talk to. I think the forum does what it's supposed to do.

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Closing the Recording Alerts forum is REALLY a stupid idea. There is way to much BullS### in the TV Show talk forum.

Last season (or maybe the one before), I made a bunch of posts for the season/series premiers. Some vocal individuals pissed and moaned that it was too much, to cluttered, etc. So I stopped. Guess that turned out well. :rolleyes:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

If there are posts that violate DBSTalk rules, then those should be reported in case moderators miss seeing them.

We also try to catch off-forum-topic threads and move them, but sometimes it is good to report those as well in case we have missed them.

But if we are just talking "BS" for "BS" sake... that's probably true of almost every forum, and almost every other Web site as well... there's bound to be topics not of interest to me or ones I like but others don't... that kind of comes with the territory.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

The nice thing about the alerts forum was the email notifications on new postings so that we could get alerts even if we aren't logged in... While I enjoy the TV Show Talk forum, it gets too much non-alert type messages for it to be good for email alerts.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

The nice thing about the alerts forum was the email notifications on new postings so that we could get alerts even if we aren't logged in... While I enjoy the TV Show Talk forum, it gets too much non-alert type messages for it to be good for email alerts.

What was once a nice thing became a burden as it moved away from actual alerts to threads individuals thought were important.

I also liked the emails alerting me to a program change, but sadly that's not the way it was used lately and instead I would constantly receive emails regarding shows that were correctly set to record.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

What was once a nice thing became a burden as it moved away from actual alerts to threads individuals thought were important.

I also liked the emails alerting me to a program change, but sadly that's not the way it was used lately and instead I would constantly receive emails regarding shows that were correctly set to record.

That's really what drove the decision...

Instead of surprise scheduling changes being posted to alert people... more times than not it was was a thread like "record the season finale" that only alerted people to something they should already have known if they cared about the show.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall