Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pay-per-view certificate warning

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

Before you watch that free movie using the certificate for being a loyal customer or that comes with a promotion:

Make sure you follow the instructions and order the movie online or by phone with the method of payment being the certificate.

It has been a while since I last used a pay-per-view certificate. At that time you redeemed the certificate after watching the movie. Not reading the directions that came with the recent certificates, I ordered the movie with my remote. There appears to be no way now to apply the certificate to that movie.

I have played CSR roulette (repeated contacts till you get the answer you like) using both the online chat and calling billing. I get the same answer. All PPV sales are final, no credits, no adjustments.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

.... Make sure you follow the instructions ....

Doh! No kidding? :D
-GA

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

Make sure you follow the instructions ...

What a novel approach. :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Before you watch that free movie using the certificate for being a loyal customer or that comes with a promotion:

Make sure you follow the instructions and order the movie online or by phone with the method of payment being the certificate.

It has been a while since I last used a pay-per-view certificate. At that time you redeemed the certificate after watching the movie. Not reading the directions that came with the recent certificates, I ordered the movie with my remote. There appears to be no way now to apply the certificate to that movie.

I have played CSR roulette (repeated contacts till you get the answer you like) using both the online chat and calling billing. I get the same answer. All PPV sales are final, no credits, no adjustments.

so you didn't follow the directions that came with the cert and you want dish to take the charge off? Here's hoping the CSR's stand pat and don't give it to you! It's not Dish's fault you didn't read the directions and they shouldn't have to pay for your mistake.

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

To the original poster, thanks for the heads up. I've gotten a few of those certificates over the years and wasn't aware of the change. I have one sitting by the TV now -- will check it.:)

Nothing irks me more than the condescending comments from some folks about these types of posts. I guess there are people who actually stop and read all the fine print posted on the columns next to the gas pumps everytime they pump gas :sure: or who read every piece of paper that's included with their bank statements, even the obvious marketing materials. :rolleyes:

What would be nice is if the certificates or even the envelope the certificates came in had in large print a message that these certificates have changed, so please check the instructions. Anyway thanks again for the headsup.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#6 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

If you mail the certificates in they will credit your bill even if you don't order a movie. I sent the coupons in and they gave me the credit on my bill even though my phone modem was dead ( I didn't know it when I ordered the movies ) and the credits were on my bill even though the charge for the movie was not because the receiver didn't call in to report it.

#7 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

...Nothing irks me more than the condescending comments from some folks about these types of posts. I guess there are people who actually stop and read all the fine print posted on the columns next to the gas pumps everytime they pump gas :sure: or who read every piece of paper that's included with their bank statements, even the obvious marketing materials. :rolleyes:...

I've used a couple of the free certs and was actually able to do it correctly. But if I hadn't, I sure wouldn't be crying to Dish asking for my money back.
Not reading the rules some times cost you. In this case, I don't think Dish should give him his money back. Period!

#8 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

.... Nothing irks me more than the condescending comments ....

If you're redeeming a certificate, what possible reason in the world would you have to not read the instructions for redeeming it? It's a no-brainer. Oh, wait ....
-GA

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Watch out, I am gonna throw another idea out for everyone to ponder...

Put your hard hat on, this is going to blow your mind...

Read your bill every month!

ka-boom.... :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

...I guess there are people who ... who read every piece of paper that's included with their bank statements, even the obvious marketing materials. ...

Why would you read the "obvious marketing materials?"

Oh wait, I read the rest of your post. lol :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

If you mail the certificates in they will credit your bill even if you don't order a movie. I sent the coupons in and they gave me the credit on my bill even though my phone modem was dead ( I didn't know it when I ordered the movies ) and the credits were on my bill even though the charge for the movie was not because the receiver didn't call in to report it.

I don't think that will work any more. It seems that they are taking a hard line because of abuse in the past.

Also, there is fine print on what is not covered: sporting events, bill credit, monetary redemption, and ordering by remote control.

#12 OFFLINE   Boston

Boston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

To the original poster, thanks for the heads up. I've gotten a few of those certificates over the years and wasn't aware of the change. I have one sitting by the TV now -- will check it.:)

Nothing irks me more than the condescending comments from some folks about these types of posts. I guess there are people who actually stop and read all the fine print posted on the columns next to the gas pumps everytime they pump gas :sure: or who read every piece of paper that's included with their bank statements, even the obvious marketing materials. :rolleyes:

What would be nice is if the certificates or even the envelope the certificates came in had in large print a message that these certificates have changed, so please check the instructions. Anyway thanks again for the headsup.

You are welcome. The reason for the post was just so people would not be blind sided by the change.

I had just redeemed some coupons this spring and the process was different. It would be nice if they noted the fact that you cannot use certificates as you order by remote. Especially since they are sending them out to reward long time customers and as part of promotions.

#13 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

If you have used PPV certificates in the past, you might not stop and read the fine print. I haven't seen these certs, but they should put that in large print so others don't make the same mistake. Also, for a year after they implemented this practice, they should warn people of the change and give people the credit if they have a valid certificate, call, and recently ordered a qualifying PPV movie. It's just good customer service.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#14 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

If you have used PPV certificates in the past, you might not stop and read the fine print. I haven't seen these certs, but they should put that in large print so others don't make the same mistake. Also, for a year after they implemented this practice, they should warn people of the change and give people the credit if they have a valid certificate, call, and recently ordered a qualifying PPV movie. It's just good customer service.

How about the customer taking some responsibility to actually read what they are using (that's right, they don't read when they sign the 2 year contract when they sign up for Dish, so why should they read this!).
Dish could put it in BIG, BOLD, 75 SIZED, DIFFERENT COLORED FONT and people still would complain.
What's to stop me from using the cert then calling in to say "Hey, I didn't know, give me my money back!" eventhough I actually knew the rules?
You watched the movie and failed to play be the rules set out. Pay for it and move on. I mean hey, you still have the cert to use on another movie, and this time you can do it correctly because you finally read the thing.

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

I mean hey, you still have the cert to use on another movie, and this time you can do it correctly because you finally read the thing.

Exactly!
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#16 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Sorta takes all the fun outa fine print, doesn't it.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#17 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Interesting! I never took advantage of them because the ones I used to get had always said to mail them in. I hate mailing things! I noticed the last one with 2 movies on it said to watch the movie and then go online to get credit after watching them! Makes me wonder what they are really up to if some of us are getting one type and others getting another.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#18 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

... Makes me wonder what they are really up to if some of us are getting one type and others getting another.

Are you really that paranoid? :rolleyes:

For crying out loud, it's a give away to reduce the impact of the rate hike.

#19 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

.... it's a give away to reduce the impact of the rate hike. ....

Are you sure 'bout that?
Posted Image
-GA

#20 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Are you sure 'bout that?

Well, mine says, "Dish Network appreciates your business." I doubt their Business Model calls for sending these out a couple of months after a price increase shows in my statement for any other purpose.

Do you have an explanation? lol

BTW The Gifts do have instructions in large and also bold font proclaiming, "Redeem your Pay-Per-View Certificates online!" Instructions follow. To suggest that Dish was trying some kind of stunt by changing the method of certificate redemption is ridiculous.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 13 September 2010 - 05:51 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...