Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TV Apps... currently unavailable?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fo71

fo71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hi... I haven't been able to get tv apps loaded for some time now. When I first hit right arrow, the tv apps greeting screen comes up telling me to press right arrow one more time to start. When i press right arrow again, a blue error box compes up that says "TV Apps is currently unavailable", any ideas???
Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hi... I haven't been able to get tv apps loaded for some time now. When I first hit right arrow, the tv apps greeting screen comes up telling me to press right arrow one more time to start. When i press right arrow again, a blue error box compes up that says "TV Apps is currently unavailable", any ideas???
Thanks,

Working fine on my STB's (both HR20 & 21's). It would help if you could give a little more information. What type of STB's? How are you hooked up to internet? etc. etc. etc

#3 OFFLINE   fo71

fo71

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for your quick reply..... I have two boxes, HR24-500 and H21-100, vod works fine, wholw home dvr works fine, except apps. I'm connected directly to my lan via ethernet (wired), dhcp acquired address with static dhcp reservation on my router. My router is a dd-wrt linksys wrt54g2 that is conneted to my isp. upnp is enabled on my router, i have no port forwarding or triggering. STB boxes status screen show stb ports used are 27771 and 27773, and 27772 and 27774 for the other box.
Thanks !

#4 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

I have the same issue. Code: (11) TVapps are currently unavailable

I have a HR24-200 & a H24-200:
- MRV works
- On Demand works
- Mediashare/UPnP works (using eyeconnect on a MacPro)
- Active channel works
- Scoreguide works on sports channels (isn't this a TVApp?)
- software/firmware version: 040D

Other notes:
- SWM 5 (triple LMB - single wire setup)
- using a external broadband DECA (during install the MRV would not work with the Ethernet connected directly to the boxes)
- both boxes have DHCP IP Addresses with STB & Audio ports forwarded
- my network router is an Airport Extreme
- channel or program pictures/star ratings do not show unless you do a reboot without the cat5 plugged into the deca, once booted you can plugin the cat5 back to the deca & rerun the network setup. Then star ratings and program pictures show up.
- network status code: 5047 or 5001 (no clue what those mean)

Not sure if I helped, but is all the detail I have found... I am a new customer (had service for 6 days), but is what I have learned so far. Hope this is solved soon. According to DTV this is a known issue.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

TVApps are working here. . . and they supposedly have nothing to do with the port forwarding.

Some people that have problems have had success changing their DNS . . Open DNS is a good choice. . . 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

I have the same issue. Code: (11) TVapps are currently unavailable

- both boxes have DHCP IP Addresses with STB & Audio ports forwarded

- network status code: 5047 or 5001 (no clue what those mean)

It's not a good practice to forward ports to DHCP IPs. Even reserved DHCP IPs have proven problematic for MRV.

I would suggest static IPs outside the DHCP range of your router by simply using the advanced setup in Network setup of the Directv box.

BTW, the status of 5001 and up is an indication that network services are running. Although the connection test is believed to be a way to get TV APPS working, I've seen a couple of recent examples where this was not successful in getting TV APPS to work: http://www.dbstalk.c...7&highlight=301

The connection test may be nothing more than saying hello to the server and getting an acknowledged reply periodically. Most get TV APPS w/o all the port forwarding or connection test.

Although I had suggested forward porting TDP 443 port to static IPs of Directv boxes, UDP port 1701 is another that has been suggested for other reasons (VOD d/l and remote purchases). It wouldn't hurt to try those.

If still failing, consider the instructions here: http://www.dbstalk.c...3&highlight=301

The thread is still open; leave some feedback (router, router settings, & name of ISP) or PM Earl.

#7 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

It's not a good practice to forward ports to DHCP IPs. Even reserved DHCP IPs have proven problematic for MRV.

I would suggest static IPs outside the DHCP range of your router by simply using the advanced setup in Network setup of the Directv box.

Thanks armchair!

I agree dhcp ip's shouldn't have forwarded ports... I was being lazy. I will fix soon.

I tried 443, 1701, and 500... No luck.

Is there a guide/dictionary to the network status codes?

I have a 5048 right now.

#8 OFFLINE   fo71

fo71

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

I have 5057 status.... any ideas what that means? I'm still able to get to the tv apps welcome screen but no more than that, it says "currently unavailable (11)"
Thanks !

#9 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

I have 5057 status.... any ideas what that means? I'm still able to get to the tv apps welcome screen but no more than that, it says "currently unavailable (11)"
Thanks !

Same here. Nothing I do helps. Going to try static ip's outside my routers dhcp range. Don't think it will help since the receivers have never changed ip addresses yet.

Next steps: turn off nat-pmp (auto port negotiation / UPnP) on the router, dmz the receivers, and/or hit these receivers with a brick until they submit. ;-)

This should not be this hard.

#10 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

In the first thread I linked to, the posters were having issues personalizing the apps at the site: https://tvapps.directv.com/login.do Their settings were being reset when making changes, exiting and signing back in.

This caused them to suspect the issue may be at the server end. Try it.

#11 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

TVApps are working here. . . and they supposedly have nothing to do with the port forwarding.

Some people that have problems have had success changing their DNS . . Open DNS is a good choice. . . 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Ok I tried OpenDNS... Rebooted everything... Reran network setup - waiting for a couple hours (or days) for the new dns to take over. Still same error so far. Code: (11)

Also move to static IP's (ports forwarded). Added TCP port 443 to the list.

I will report back soon!

#12 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

I've tried doing many of the same things and both of my HR21's still show TV Apps still initializing (301). Sounds like it's caused by the same thing. Still can't get mine to work on my new ISP. When I had AT&* DSL it worked fine with no port forwarding or anything like that needed.

#13 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I've tried doing many of the same things and both of my HR21's still show TV Apps still initializing (301). Sounds like it's caused by the same thing. Still can't get mine to work on my new ISP. When I had AT&* DSL it worked fine with no port forwarding or anything like that needed.

Who is your current ISP and what router are you using? Have you tried static IPs: http://www.dbstalk.c...256#post1323256

Port forwarding link: http://www.dbstalk.c...143#post1711143

These are not suggested steps unless there's a problem like yours. I also found that forward porting ports 443 (TCP) and 1701 (UDP) may help. Recent threads also seem to suggest there is a problem at the server or the path to server may be an issue. The more things you try and reply with, the better.

#14 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

I'm a network administrator, so I've tried everything under the sun. I use a local cable internet provider here in South Alabama. I am using a Linksys E2000, and have no problems connecting to any other websites. I went as far as to disable my router's SPI firewall, and put both of my HR21's into the DMZ, giving them full and unrestricted access to the internet. Receivers have been assigned the same static IP's since before I moved and switched ISP's. The only thing that has changed in my environment is the ISP.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

I just had eight H24-200s installed today on a commercial account, connected to the Internet via DECA. All of them are able to connect to the Internet, but I get error 11 when trying to use TV Apps. I haven't done much troubleshooting because it's not terribly important, but I would still like to get them working.

#16 OFFLINE   jayman9207

jayman9207

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

I am getting the same unavailable (11) error. I just hooked up my DECA this morning and got things on my LAN. Everything else works fine including MRV. I am a new customer as well (7 days).

EDIT: Looks like this is a much bigger problem and DirecTV knows about it (at least it is up on their forums): http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002

Edited by jayman9207, 20 September 2010 - 08:25 AM.

Current Equipment & Hookups
HR24-500 -> Yamaha RX-V757 7.1 Receiver -> Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50G10
HR24-100 -> Hitachi 42" Plasma 42HDS52
H24-100 -> Dynex 24" LCD DX-24L150A11
H24-100 -> Toshiba 27" Old School SD TV

Others:
HR24-100 - HD died after 6+ months - 3/13/11

#17 OFFLINE   mdhouse

mdhouse

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Same issues here. New customer with HR24-500 DVR and an H24-700 receiver. DirecTV put in a DECA on Saturday and all the features work except TV apps. I've done everything that I can think of with my Linksys WRT350N router (port forwarding, triggering, DMZ, etc.) The "My TV Apps" site wasn't working for me this weekend, but it seems to be working now as of a couple minutes ago. I'll have to try out TV Apps when I get home, but I'm not sure what more to do...

#18 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Ok... Sorry it has been so long. I have officially tried everything... Pointing to a new DNS (opendns) didn't help (didn't think it would), forwarded ports (audio and stb) doesn't help the apps (helps VOD and active channel), DMZ the boxes doesn't help, beating them with a hammer doesn't help (kidding), removing the cat5 to the DECA then rebooting all the boxes then replugging the cat5 back doesn't help, direct connecting the deca to my cable router doesn't help, redownloading the latest firmware with or without the cat5 plugged into the deca doesn't matter, direct connecting cat5 to each box breaks even more things (MRV), giving static ip's to each box outside the dhcp scope didn't help, setting up my tvapps on each of the dtv tvapp sites didn't help, and finally reading this forum for any hope of an answer didn't help either. Not the forum's or its great members fault though... This seems to be a DTV issue due to competing technology MRV vs TVApps vs crappy DTV tech support and/or developers.

I really don't care anymore. I just wish DTV wouldn't sell something that plainly doesn't work.

HR24-200
HR24-500
H24-200

#19 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

:confused: Thought my problem with my hr21-100 was dish alignment because it reported that I had a dish alignment problem and remained in the checking satellite settings; however, replacement with hr24-200 resolved that (technician tuned up dish alignment)!
Now tv apps say they are loading but I never get my menu for all my tv apps? The internet connection report is OK! (We had to update the firmware because the Hr24-200 did not even recognize my AM21!) :confused:
Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

#20 OFFLINE   ashuta

ashuta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

:confused: Thought my problem with my hr21-100 was dish alignment because it reported that I had a dish alignment problem and remained in the checking satellite settings; however, replacement with hr24-200 resolved that (technician tuned up dish alignment)!
Now tv apps say they are loading but I never get my menu for all my tv apps? The internet connection report is OK! (We had to update the firmware because the Hr24-200 did not even recognize my AM21!) :confused:

Forget about the apps right now... Don't waste your time. As for the Am21 it works with my hr24-200 just fine. Do a red button reset and the moment it turns on press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. If it doesn't work immediately red button reset again. Hope this helps.

spam firewall