Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just switched from Tivo to Dish and VIP722...huge mistake

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchb2

mitchb2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

We've been Tivo users for 10 years. Series 1 then Series 2 with DirecTV.
We just moved to a new place and the DirecTV installer never showed so we called Dish.

We knew that the DVR interface would never be as good as Tivo, but we figured we could get used to it.

What we DIDN'T know is that the number of timers you can set is limited to 40!
This is a huge deal breaker. There can't be a good reason for such a crazy restriction. Our Tivo had 150 Season Passes set, with no problems at all.

Now we have to get out of our contract somehow and go crawling back to DirecTV.

Why such a crazy limitation? And is there anything on the horizon that will change it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

We knew that the DVR interface would never be as good as Tivo, but we figured we could get used to it.

What we DIDN'T know is that the number of timers you can set is limited to 40!

Welcome to this Dish forum. Great first post. Throw down the gauntlet and see if you can get a rise out of Dish subscribers that are here generally to help out each other.

I'm sure you'll be a helpful future contributor. The Vip DVRs are superior in many respects to the TIVOs, but like any two different products they are, well, different.

You don't yet know what you are talking about, by the way, with respect to the limit on timers. I currently have 89 timers set on a 722k and my wife has 90 some odd on her 622.

Again, welcome to the forum. :rolleyes:

PS Should you actually feel the need for help, I suggest that you use your second post to start a new thread and pose your question(s). Search also works wonders. I might suggest that your first question might be to inquire when a timer is set versus when a Dish Pass is used.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 12 September 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Press the DVR button three times to get to Daily Schedule. Post the number of events in the lower right corner. Cursor to the Timers button on the page and note how many of your 40 timers are shown as Pass instead of DVR. One common mistake of TiVo users is to create a DishPASS for a show instead of a DVR timer.

I'm well below the limits with 71 timer and 220 events. But creating a single Pass for something overly vague could exceed the event limit. A Pass for "CSI" may create a huge number of events. Same for a DVR timer on a marathon weekend of the show.

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

... A Pass for "CSI" may create a huge number of events. Same for a DVR timer on a marathon weekend of the show.

CABill,

Try a Dish Pass for "Cops." :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

I had the opposite reaction when I switched from Tivo to the VIP DVR.
I was pleasantly surprised and never looked back.
The 722 beats the crap out of the Tivo in more ways than I can count.

#6 OFFLINE   bloom

bloom

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

I believe the timer limit that you saw is a limit on the timers in effect for one timer. Thus, if you say "record all new episodes of x" and there are 75 new episodes coming in the next week, they won't record. Each time I set a recording, I see a timer limit posted, but I believe that refers to the number of that particular show.

#7 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

The limits are 96 timers or 576 potential recording events generated by those timers, whichever comes first.

"Season pass" type timers should be generated from the guide.

"Dish Pass" is for things not on the guide, or for search terms that might match in the info of different shows (favorite actor) or a show that appears on multiple channels (my PBS keeps moving MotorWeek around, and I sometimes have to catch a replay on Speed, or soon HDTHR).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hit and run.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#9 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hit and run.

He would have stuck around if at least one person had agreed that he made a huge mistake. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

He's crawling back to Directv. Poor Guy, so misunderstood!:shrug:

#11 OFFLINE   bdcottle

bdcottle

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

If he did go back to Directv he will be very upset to find that the HR2X does have a 50 series limit which is one reason i have a VIP722.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...