Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prepping for new HR24...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rocket21

rocket21

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hello.

Just off the phone with DTV and am getting 2 new HR24s and a new type of dish for $150 total. (I am aware that this doesn't guarantee the hr24, but the CSR put in a note and I'll just refuse the install if they don't come with them.)

I currently have 2 HD DVRs (leased) that I'll be exchanging. My question is how I can easily x-fer the content to the new dvrs.

I have an external Lacie drive but I don't use it for dvr service. I back up my mac on it. If I plug this into the respective dvrs can i put content to a particular "file" or would i be reformatting the entire drive, thereby losing my mac backup material.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Great forums. Learn a lot as a lurker.

-B

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

You can't play old recording on different HRs or transfer them.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

Rocket, you need to Call Directv back and Demand that they have the Installer Company call you before coming out to ensure that they know exactly what you plan on doing and what you need.

Then you can ask the Installer Dispatcher if he has HR24s. If he does then politely ask him to have your Installer bring two of them with him when he comes out.

That is how I got mine. Not by waiting until they show up but being Proactive and talking to them ahead of time so they know if they can accomodate you.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   rocket21

rocket21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Thanks, RR. Good idea and I will do so.

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 476 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hello.

I currently have 2 HD DVRs (leased) that I'll be exchanging. My question is how I can easily x-fer the content to the new dvrs.

-B

To reiterate what Sigma said - there is no way to transfer your old recordings to your new DVRs. It is not going to happen. The files are scarmbled and locked to the old DVRs. So even copying the internal HDs would do no good.

About all you can do is transfer the recordings, by playing them one at a time into either a DVD recorder or a computer with a video capture card. This will be an SD copy. (If you want an HD copy, the only way is to use a Hauppage HDPVR component capture device or equivalent, in the same manner, and I don't know if they support Macs.) In either case, it will take real time to do it, meaning that if you have 40 hours worth to transfer, it will take 40 hours of recording time.

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

To reiterate what Sigma said - there is no way to transfer your old recordings to your new DVRs. It is not going to happen. The files are scarmbled and locked to the old DVRs. So even copying the internal HDs would do no good.

About all you can do is transfer the recordings, by playing them one at a time into either a DVD recorder or a computer with a video capture card. This will be an SD copy. (If you want an HD copy, the only way is to use a Hauppage HDPVR component capture device or equivalent, in the same manner, and I don't know if they support Macs.) In either case, it will take real time to do it, meaning that if you have 40 hours worth to transfer, it will take 40 hours of recording time.

Keith

You can use a hauppage hdpvr with a mac.

http://www.steventot.../blog/products/
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#7 OFFLINE   rocket21

rocket21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thought I'd share...newbie installer just left my house after 9 1/2 hours. No exaggeration. Crazy. He was very new and struggles with english. I'm ok with everything except to find out that he was doing everything wrong. I won't bother with the details, but example is putting SD filters on my new H24-100 HD receivers. Eventually his supervisor and another guy spent a couple hours here helping.

Now, however, I have 2 new speedy HDs. Faster. look better. Don't notice any particular color issues. I like them.

Nice. Long day.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...