Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaves/Trees

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DFDureiko

DFDureiko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

we are in south eastern CT, halfway between Norwich and Willimantic.
about mid June we lost all our locals and a bunch of HD, (TWC, Lifetime etc)
tech came out and said it was the trees. I most likely have to raise the mast the Slimline is on, but of course he can't do that, nor mount it to our Oak tree, as the tree might bend in the wind, how a five foot trunk is going to bend is beyond me.
However, about a week ago all the channels came back. I'm looking out the window, not a leaf has fallen yet, trees look just the same.
how could this be?
idea's?
Dan
Dan
RV:
HR22-100/Olevia 232v/Motosat HDSL5/Sony S350
Home:
Apple Airport Extreme wifi N router
HR22-100/LaCie TwoBig eSATA/Olevia 237v/WGA600N
H21-200/Apple Airport Express/Vizio SV420XVT/Sony S350

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

Looks like a Temperature Related Issue. Maybe a bad connector or LNB.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Mounting a dish to a tree is an instant QC fail and full chargeback. No tech with a brain is going to do that. If you do have a tree problem, or an impending one, you'll be on the hook to either cut back the trees or pay to have the dish relocated. Your trees aren't a satellite company's responsibility; they're yours.

#4 OFFLINE   DFDureiko

DFDureiko

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

thanks for the response. I doubt it's temp, more like humidity/wetness? it must change the positon of the branches and leaves or something. I realize that these issues are not the responsiblity of the provider, however, in order to keep a longtime customer, the tech could take some time to help me find out which trees need to be cut, and closely inspect the LNB to see if it is a hardware problem. This guy spent all of five minutes here.
and what is the big deal about mounting on trees anyway?
Dan
Dan
RV:
HR22-100/Olevia 232v/Motosat HDSL5/Sony S350
Home:
Apple Airport Extreme wifi N router
HR22-100/LaCie TwoBig eSATA/Olevia 237v/WGA600N
H21-200/Apple Airport Express/Vizio SV420XVT/Sony S350

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,602 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

The mount location alone could cause these symptoms.

...add in the variables you mentioned, not in excluse the potential for bad exterior cable connectors (all you need is one bad one)...and you have a formula for inconsistent reception, if not constant problems.

It would seem you need to have them put your dish at a more stable and reliable location, and double check all your cable connections as well.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

thanks for the response. I doubt it's temp, more like humidity/wetness? it must change the positon of the branches and leaves or something. I realize that these issues are not the responsiblity of the provider, however, in order to keep a longtime customer, the tech could take some time to help me find out which trees need to be cut, and closely inspect the LNB to see if it is a hardware problem. This guy spent all of five minutes here.
and what is the big deal about mounting on trees anyway?
Dan

The reason is simple: the tech only gets paid for completing a job, and he then becomes responsible for the entire completed job. Responsible as in: being charged back considerably more than he made for the service call if there's something wrong, such as trees in the LOS.

The tech makes a quick decision: he's already out his time and gas to drive to your place, where he feels that trees are the problem, and has two choices: cut his losses and leave, or stay there and spend 45 minutes surveying locations, then probably several hours moving the dish and lines to that location, possibly without a successful outcome, just for the chance to make $30 (minus his expenses, which will be considerable if he has to run new cable).

In his shoes, what would you do?

spam firewall