Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home dvr.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vfviola

vfviola

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

I have read some of the whole home forums, but did not see exactly what I was looking for. I have a HR21-200 and HR20-100. My HR21-200 is connected to my network and internet according to system menu using the old Direct homeplug adapter. My question is if I buy another homeplug adapter and connect it to my HR20-100, will they then work with whole home dvr since I am authorized to receive it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have read some of the whole home forums, but did not see exactly what I was looking for. I have a HR21-200 and HR20-100. My HR21-200 is connected to my network and internet according to system menu using the old Direct homeplug adapter. My question is if I buy another homeplug adapter and connect it to my HR20-100, will they then work with whole home dvr since I am authorized to receive it?

As with ethernet networking, yes it will work. "How well" it will work is all up to you and some haven't had good luck with powerline adapters, but some have.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Yup. However, depending on where the homeplugs are being used and the connection speed that you get, your MRV might not be the best experience. While you probably won't have any issues with SD recordings over MRV, you might have issues with HD recordings.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'd call Directv before I bought anything else. And I wouldn't consider anything other than wired ETHERNET or WHD using the Broad Band DECA (aka Whole Home DVR with Internet Connection Kit or ICK for short).

There's also a $3/month MRV fee to consider.

#5 OFFLINE   vfviola

vfviola

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

Directv said they no longer support or sale the adapters, but I did find a brand new one on ebay. The one I have connected to the HR21-200 works wonders. I was just curious if they would work with the Whole Home DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

Directv said they no longer support or sale the adapters, but I did find a brand new one on ebay. The one I have connected to the HR21-200 works wonders. I was just curious if they would work with the Whole Home DVR.

As stated, they might be fine or they might not. With PowerLine Adapters there are a lot of variables that come into play with what kind of connection you will get with them. In my house, I couldn't get anything better than 11Mbps unless I was in the same room as my router.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

I'm using a pair to tie a couple of computers which are in my garage to my router (they are all on the same breaker). It works fine for Media Share and Directv2PC. I measure 20-25 Mbps between them.

When I tried MRV to a DVR on another circuit it worked for SD, but HD programs had a lot of stuttering (wifi was even worse).

I have a few spare powerline adapters and will try to sell them if there is still a market.

#8 OFFLINE   vfviola

vfviola

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

So, no way to get rid of the HD stuttering? I am seeing HD content with stutter playback. Any settings or changes can be made to fix that?

#9 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

There's a reason that dtv doesn't sell, recommend or support powerline ethernet any more, flakiness that is caused by numerous random factors. With the time and energy you'd use to sort out your powerline connection, you'd be better off getting an official whole home DVR setup.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

There's a reason that dtv doesn't sell, recommend or support powerline ethernet any more, flakiness that is caused by numerous random factors. With the time and energy you'd use to sort out your powerline connection, you'd be better off getting an official whole home DVR setup.

Not to disagree with you, and to merely point out that before streaming video was a feature, powerline could work for downloading VOD. The move to streaming video with DirecTV2PC & MRV, has shown the weakness of these and now with DECA, DirecTV has a good alternative that can be supported by them for streaming video.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall