Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blackouts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steeloc15

Steeloc15

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:04 AM

I am still confused with how some of the blackouts work. Sometimes the cardinals games are blacked out and sometimes they aren't. The new "Game Finder" has really helped point this out but I still can't make sense of it. Why are certain teams (Cardinals and Rockies for me) sometimes blacked out and sometimes not?

Posted Image

Also the "Game Finder" doesn't show the Royals games that I am always able to pick up on one of the "alt" channels.
(The Royals are broadcast on Fox Sports Kansas City, which dish doesn't carry but shows the game on the alt channels.)

The more important question is will I be able to see the OKC Thunder games when the NBA season rolls around? They are shown on Fox Sports Oklahoma, which Dish does not seem to carry. Anyone know where I will be able to find out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:39 AM

You seem to be missing CSN Chicago from your list ... they are carrying three of the four Cubs at Cardinals games you're blacked out from seeing on Fox Midwest. VS (channel 151) has the game on Tuesday night at 8pm.

Apparently Game Finder doesn't show RSNs not in your base package.

#3 OFFLINE   Steeloc15

Steeloc15

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

I live in Wichita, KS. I would not get games on CSN Chicago anyway. I am still confused and looking for answers to the questions. I just don't understand.

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

The following may or may not apply to this case.

Sometimes, a regional sports network (RSN) will acquire rights to more games than it had in previous seasons. That RSN will use that addition to renegotiate better subscriber fees from cable/satellite systems. For example, the contract between Dish and FoxMW might have included 110 Cardinals games. If FoxMW gets 20 more games for 2010, Dish can either pay a new higher rate or only take the 110 games it has been promised. If that happened, that would account for some of the Cards games on FoxMW getting blacked out even though others are available.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

The following may or may not apply to this case.

Sometimes, a regional sports network (RSN) will acquire rights to more games than it had in previous seasons. That RSN will use that addition to renegotiate better subscriber fees from cable/satellite systems. For example, the contract between Dish and FoxMW might have included 110 Cardinals games. If FoxMW gets 20 more games for 2010, Dish can either pay a new higher rate or only take the 110 games it has been promised. If that happened, that would account for some of the Cards games on FoxMW getting blacked out even though others are available.

B I N G O ! That happened to Cleveland Indians games back in the early 2000's the year we lost WUAB-43 for ~75 games. The first year we got 150 games on FSN Ohio, the following year, with absolutely no warning, half the games were blacked out. Adding insult to injury a game vs the White SOX on WGN was also blacked out (they were not supposed to black out WGN).

Now that the Indians started their own RSN we never miss a game (except for some HD versions, but at least we do get it in SD).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   Steeloc15

Steeloc15

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

Ah, that makes sense.... Now, does anyone know if I can find out if I'll be able to see the OKC Thunder games this year?

spam firewall