Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancellation Woes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

So I decided to return to Cox cable after a tumultuous year with Dish Network. Dish used to be slightly cheaper, but the price kept going up every month, from $100 and now at $150 for a high-end package.

Nobody in their lame customer support department had a reason, other than they are entitled to change the terms of their contracts without warning. Nor could they solve my chronic problems making On-Demand work.

The first two tiers of Cox cable are now subsidized by the housing association in this development, which makes even their full package lots cheaper than Dish. There are more On-Demand offerings, and HD channels have increased enough to provide all the stations we care about in high definition. There are also more locals in HD with Cox.

So I called Dish to cancel, and went through four people with different levels of authority and confronted various levels of abuse. The last person I talked to said I had to spend $15, each, to return the satellite set-top boxes, or $99 if I wanted someone to come over and collect them. At least no demand for a cancellation fee.

This is pathetic. Is this their normal brand of customer abuse?

Peace,
Gene

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

... Dish used to be slightly cheaper, but the price kept going up every month, from $100 and now at $150 for a high-end package. ...

I am not sure what you are attempting to do by posting what you dis, but the above statement is false, I suspect. Tell us what the package is that rose in cost from $100 to $150. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I do know what your purpose was. lol

#3 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

I am not sure what you are attempting to do by posting what you dis, but the above statement is false, I suspect. Tell us what the package is that rose in cost from $100 to $150. :rolleyes:

It helps when you stop making false assumptions. The price is in the range I specified, and the experience in canceling the service is as I reported.

I posted it in this forum since it appears to be a place for someone to report one's experiences with a satellite provider, and the topic is relevant to the forum.

Do you also dispute the return charges I mentioned for giving them back the leased equipment? Would you prefer a notarized letter?

Just FYI: The Cox package, which includes every TV station they offer other than the Latin Tier, plus their top-line Internet package (up to 55 megabits downloads) and a single phone line (which I need just for faxing) was quoted at $185 and change. Remember the housing association subsidy. Otherwise it would be $40 more, still much better than Dish plus two Cox packages.

Seems to me that your eyes are not rolling. They are crossed when it comes to making snide insults without facts to back them up.

Peace,
Gene

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,094 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm no Dish sub, but clearly see that the top package - AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK - is $84.99/month for 1 year, then $99.99/month. Not exactly $150. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'm no Dish sub, but clearly see that the top package - AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK - is $84.99/month for 1 year, then $99.99/month. Not exactly $150. ;)

First year, when you sign up, they offer a discount. Mine disappeared after a few months; the full year promise was a fake. You then add HD, some leased hardware (including the DVR) and taxes and such and it comes to just shy of $150.

Besides, you're not seeing the forest from the trees. That's half of my complaint; the rest is the abuse through which they put you when you want to cancel. I can't imagine this is a unique situation.

Peace,
Gene

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

Of course, he mentioned HD, so that would be free... Uh, it still is about $50 shy of $150. Maybe lots of equipment?

For me, before I changed to the Top200+HBO+SHO+HD+HD Platinum+Multi-Sport+DVR+Equip rental (Vip612)+maintenance @$118, The bill was $139 for AEP without multisport and $146 with multisport.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Of course, he mentioned HD, so that would be free... Uh, it still is about $50 shy of $150. Maybe lots of equipment?

For me, before I changed to the Top200+HBO+SHO+HD+HD Platinum+Multi-Sport+DVR+Equip rental (Vip612)+maintenance @$118, The bill was $139 for AEP without multisport and $146 with multisport.

HD is only free when you agree to a 24-month package.

So you see, you can get close to $150 without breathing. For your $146, add a single Pay-Per-View and you're over the limit. :)

But, folks, you are arguing about the wrong thing. Mine is that the promised price (whatever it was) changed, and second is the questionable cancellation treatment, clearly a desperate attempt to keep customers in a declining market.

Nobody has a real response?

Peace,
Gene

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

It helps when you stop making false assumptions. The price is in the range I specified, and the experience in canceling the service is as I reported. ...

Do you also dispute the return charges I mentioned for giving them back the leased equipment? Would you prefer a notarized letter?

Hey Peace Gene,

(And you really are a piece.) :rolleyes:

1) Suppose you tell us what the package was that went from $100 to $150 annual cost.

2) I didn't even mention the return charge. Why would I? The charge you mentioned has been in effect for some time.

Don't try to smear me by suggesting that I challenged anything but your fib about a package price increase and suggesting that your purpose in posting in the manner in which you did was anything but trolling - pure and simple. :rolleyes:

You just doubled my ignore list.

EDIT: Did not double ignore list. Only one entry...

#9 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hey Peace Gene,

(And you really are a piece.) :rolleyes:

1) Suppose you tell us what the package was that went from $100 to $150 annual cost.

2) I didn't even mention the return charge. Why would I? The charge you mentioned has been in effect for some time.

Don't try to smear me by suggesting that I challenged anything but your fib about a package price increase and suggesting that your purpose in posting in the manner in which you did was anything but trolling - pure and simple. :rolleyes:

You just doubled my ignore list.

EDIT: Did not double ignore list. Only one entry...

You have an attitude problem, bud. I was talking of MONTHLY, not ANNUAL prices. Read my original letter, but use your reading glasses this time. :)

Here's the specifics of a recent bill:

Monthly Charges

America's Everything Pak 99.99
HD 250 10.00
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
$ 138.99

Add tax and two PPV (which were advertised at 99 cents each for a July 4th special, but billed at the normal $5.99 rate, each), and you get over $150.

My October, 2009 bill, which included promo credits and several other incentives, was $99.50 for the same services. The price went up BEFORE the promised incentives were supposed to expire. Why do you think I began to question their honesty?

Next time you suggest someone should be ignored, look in the mirror.

So are you people saying that the cancellation charges are normal for Dish? There's no way around them?

For everyone else, but not you:

Peace,
Gene

Edited by Gene Steinberg, 13 September 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

You have an attitude problem, bud. I was talking of MONTHLY, not ANNUAL prices. Read my original letter, but use your reading glasses this time. :)

Here's the specifics of a recent bill:

Monthly Charges

America's Everything Pak 99.99
HD 250 10.00
HD Platinum 10.00
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
$ 138.99

Add tax and two PPV (which were advertised at 99 cents each for a July 4th special, but billed at the normal $5.99 rate, each), and you get over $150.

My October, 2009 bill, which included promo credits and several other incentives, was $99.50 for the same services. The price went up BEFORE the promised incentives were supposed to expire. Why do you think I began to question their honesty?

Next time you suggest someone should be ignored, look in the mirror.

So are you people saying that the cancellation charges are normal for Dish? There's no way around them?

For everyone else, but not you:

Peace,
Gene

If you had HD+Platinum, all of last year, the $10 HD fee went away in June. As all HD+Platinum users were grandfathered into the HD free for life, with no commitment, or any other fee's.

$15 return fee equipment has been standard since June as well. Not sure how you don't have to pay a Early Termination fee, if you are at just one year into your contract though. You would have to pay ETF, pro-rated for 12 months left. If your not undercontract how did you get a 1 year contract?

#11 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

If you had HD+Platinum, all of last year, the $10 HD fee went away in June. As all HD+Platinum users were grandfathered into the HD free for life, with no commitment, or any other fee's.

$15 return fee equipment has been standard since June as well. Not sure how you don't have to pay a Early Termination fee, if you are at just one year into your contract though. You would have to pay ETF, pro-rated for 12 months left. If your not undercontract how did you get a 1 year contract?

The deal quoted was for one-year, not two. I do not presume to know the niceties of Dish Network's contracts. I can only speak to the one I had.

In addition, I am canceling for cause, including the PPV and On-Demand issues, bad customer service, and violation of the contract terms.

The first people I talked to did try to impose an ETF, but an "Executive Support" person limited it to the $15 per box.

#12 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

The deal quoted was for one-year, not two. I do not presume to know the niceties of Dish Network's contracts. I can only speak to the one I had.

In addition, I am canceling for cause, including the PPV and On-Demand issues, bad customer service, and violation of the contract terms.

The first people I talked to did try to impose an ETF, but an "Executive Support" person limited it to the $15 per box.

Sounds like you got a deal. $15 per box, vs 12 months of early term fee's.
All discounts are for a year with Dish, Direct most Cable companies, even the Telco's, at the end of 12 months, the discount goes away and the regular price is in effect.

#13 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

Sounds like you got a deal. $15 per box, vs 12 months of early term fee's.
All discounts are for a year with Dish, Direct most Cable companies, even the Telco's, at the end of 12 months, the discount goes away and the regular price is in effect.

As I said, my discount went away long before the advertised 12 months. That was one of the problems.

My deal with Cox has no time limitation.

But at least you're trying to have a constructive dialog. :)

Peace,
Gene

#14 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Isn't the $ 15 fee basically a pre-paid shipping label ?

#15 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Isn't the $ 15 fee basically a pre-paid shipping label ?

I gather. Two boxes, two $15 fees. They are too cheap to pay for the return of their own stuff. If I ask for someone to just pick it up, they want a $99 "reclaim" fee.

Peace,
Gene

#16 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

I gather. Two boxes, two $15 fees. They are too cheap to pay for the return of their own stuff. If I ask for someone to just pick it up, they want a $99 "reclaim" fee.

Peace,
Gene

There are very few companies out there that will pay for return shipping. Purchase just about anything online and if you decide you don't want it, you are going to have to pay for return shipping out of pocket.

#17 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

There are very few companies out there that will pay for return shipping. Purchase just about anything online and if you decide you don't want it, you are going to have to pay for return shipping out of pocket.

It was brought by a local installer. They didn't ship it to me. One would think that the local installer who brought it can take it back.

At least with the cable company, they don't put you through such silliness.

Peace,
Gene

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

Nobody has a real response?

Simple:

Effective February 2010 DISH charges $15 for use of the return labels that they send out with the boxes used to return their equipment at the end of the lease. If you wish to pay for your own return shipping you may ... otherwise the cost to use their label is $15.

That is it.

If you're getting out of the ETF count yourself lucky.

#19 OFFLINE   Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Simple:

Effective February 2010 DISH charges $15 for use of the return labels that they send out with the boxes used to return their equipment at the end of the lease. If you wish to pay for your own return shipping you may ... otherwise the cost to use their label is $15.

That is it.

And this is posted — where? Somewhere in this forum? Or hidden in one of their new Terms of Service?

But if that's what it takes to avoid further aggravation from those jerks, sure.

Peace,
Gene

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Friendly moderator reminder... Please no attacking of each other. Attack the problem, not the messenger!

With that out of the way...

The $15 charge to return receivers is relatively new... but in fairness, most folks get a free install and free shipping on replacement receivers sent to them... so it's really hard to complain about having to pay to return them when you're done. Yeah, it would be nice not to have to pay that... but it is what it is.

I've never heard of any Dish promo pricing that was for more than a year. IF they cut your deal short early, then that should be something you could run up the food chain and get resolved. Without knowing what deal you were supposed to have or when you signed up, it would be hard to say more than that.

I am curious about the housing association subsidy mentioned for cable... I presume then you are paying housing association dues... in which case, you are really paying more money for your cable connection than you are counting. Still, Cox might be giving a bulk discount to the community for having a bunch of people signed up... but that could be subject to change, and likely without warning I suspect.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...