Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

We're a Nielsen Family

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:23 PM

Just got our little log books in the mail yesterday and beginning tomorrow, we log every program we watch on each tv for a week. Should prove quite interesting. They told me that shows we don't watch live (we never watch live tv any more) just to write the word time-shifted next to the title.

Have any of the rest of you been asked to be a Nielsen family?
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,861 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:07 AM

Interesting, but aren't you supposed to sign a NDA saying that you are not to disclose the fact that you are a Neilson family?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#3 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:31 AM

I didn't sign anything, and none of the paperwork says anything about a NDA.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#4 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:47 AM

Just got our little log books in the mail yesterday and beginning tomorrow, we log every program we watch on each tv for a week. Should prove quite interesting. They told me that shows we don't watch live (we never watch live tv any more) just to write the word time-shifted next to the title.

Please, please tell me you don't watch reality tv. There has to be some way to kill that drivil.
:sure:
Red

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:50 AM

I did the Neilson thing once. Keeping the logs was kind of pain but it was fun nevertheless.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 01:26 PM

Very cool, Karl. I've done the arbitron ratings for radio once, but haven't had the opportunity to do the neilsons.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Goblin the Pug

• Gold Members
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:30 PM

I've done the radio thing three times now, but never TV. Ah the power I would wield if only I had it. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:21 PM

DannyR, quit distracting me with that avatar of yours... :grin:

With all the time-scrunching I do between 3 TiVos, I think having to log it would be a royal pain.

#9 OFFLINE   Randy_B

Randy_B

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:39 PM

For a couple of years, we got the paper log books in the mail 2-3 times a year. They never came with an NDA either. We also had 3 TVs, 2 with Dishplayers on them. Tracking who was watching what on what TV and getting the correct logbook was a bit of pain, but I figured if it helped keep some of my favorites shows then it was worth it.

Of course, having a DP, on more than a couple of ocassions we had to log shows that we had recorded but the DP had dumped before we ever had a chance to actually watch it. Good thing their wasn't a quiz. We figured our intent counted for something!

#10 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:53 PM

With all the time-scrunching I do between 3 TiVos, I think having to log it would be a royal pain.

That's why TiVo has the history list/ToDo list, so you can see what's been recorded and dutifully report back to Nielsen.

#11 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 06:56 PM

we did this last year but thekepping up with three books was to much for us. i hope the real nielson tracking is more sophisticated...

#12 OFFLINE   angiodan

angiodan

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:03 PM

I also did the books thing a couple of years ago, it did become a little tedious with 3 books. Give me the black box that does it automatically!

#13 OFFLINE   mjz

mjz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:23 AM

Please write down that you watch a lot of repeats of 'Family Guy' and pray that they thing that show back!

#14 OFFLINE   ayalbaram

ayalbaram

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:45 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Please write down that you watch a lot of repeats of 'Family Guy' and pray that they thing that show back!

#15 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

We were asked to be a Nielson Family last summer but then they said they didn't support the Dish PVR 508 receiver we have...so we were turned down.
I wonder how many families are turned down because of unsupported Dish (or DBS) receivers?

#16 OFFLINE   torque91

torque91

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:26 AM

It would be interesting at my house to have a Nielson box considering my girlfriend leaves her dog there with the TV on Cartoon Network all day. I wonder how to log that.

#17 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:19 PM

I have done this two or three times, and they waited for a number of years in between doing so. Last time they sent a dollar bill with the logbook thanking me for participating (before even sending the logbook back) perhaps bribing people to fill it out, who knows.

I had a customer once that I got charged back on that had a Nielson setup with PrimeStar and I found out that it was due to the customer calling Dish Network telling them that their receiver was not capable of doing the Neilson tracking through their receiver that Dish Network swapped the receiver with one that had a serial port in the back. I got charged back more than I even made and I told Dish Network that I refused to pay for Nielson's hookup and that I was going to turn them into the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General and I got my money back after a year's time.

The family was on a long-term Nielson rating group that monitered not through a logbook but it was automatically done I believe. This has been about 4 years ago.

#18 OFFLINE   nielsenguy

nielsenguy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:10 AM

I have done this two or three times, and they waited for a number of years in between doing so. Last time they sent a dollar bill with the logbook thanking me for participating (before even sending the logbook back) perhaps bribing people to fill it out, who knows.

I had a customer once that I got charged back on that had a Nielson setup with PrimeStar and I found out that it was due to the customer calling Dish Network telling them that their receiver was not capable of doing the Neilson tracking through their receiver that Dish Network swapped the receiver with one that had a serial port in the back. I got charged back more than I even made and I told Dish Network that I refused to pay for Nielson's hookup and that I was going to turn them into the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General and I got my money back after a year's time.

The family was on a long-term Nielson rating group that monitered not through a logbook but it was automatically done I believe. This has been about 4 years ago.

JacobS - I am sorry to hear about your chargeback issues. If that ever happens again please PM me and I will be happy to help out.

#19 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

JacobS - I am sorry to hear about your chargeback issues. If that ever happens again please PM me and I will be happy to help out.

:welcome_s

Welcome to DBSTalk. We hope you stop by often.

#20 OFFLINE   nielsenguy

nielsenguy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:36 PM

:welcome_s

Welcome to DBSTalk. We hope you stop by often.

Thank you - I have already created a desktop shortcut... It is a great site :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...