Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slammed for a VOD order I didn't make

l685

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   OceanaJones

OceanaJones

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

I was viewing my statement online today, which I seldom do since I have auto pay set up, and I noticed my bill had increased this month. Upon further investigation (viewing the bill) I noticed a charge for a VOD movie. My wife and I (we live alone) do not use VOD because the service is too expensive (6.99 + taxes)We use our blueray player and Netflix service. I called customer support and explained that the charge was in error. The Agent's reply was that the movie was ordered with the remote, but as a one time courtesy he would remove the charge and block my account for any further VODs. I told the agent I appreciated him blocking my account from VOD downloads, but I didn't think he was providing me with a courtesy by removing a charge from my account that was not legitimate. I was wondering if anyone else had expierienced this kind of problem and just how many clicks does it take to order a VOD? Don't you have to actually verify a VOD download or something?
I have Americas top 250 and HD Platinum and am paying 84.29 a month. I have never had problems with my billing before this incident. I have been a customer for about 8 years. How likely is it that we accidentally ordered this VOD without knowing it? Thanks for your input.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MCSuckaDJ

MCSuckaDJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

If I remember correctly:

1, Select, Select, Left, Select, Left, Left, Select.

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

... How likely is it that we accidentally ordered this VOD without knowing it? Thanks for your input.

In that your STB reported in to mother Dish that you had ordered the VOD, I would think a better question is, "How likely is it that you didn't?" :)

#4 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Seems to me the agent solved the problem. He removed the charge. Then set you up so it couldn't happen again. I can imagine they get numerous calls on this specific subject and it looks like they have a pretty effective policy for handling it. He took your word for it and removed the charge. It would be nice if all problems were that easy to solve.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

It's possible that a neighbor with an RF remote might have ordered the movie on his system and simultaneously ordered it on yours. You can check the PPV history in your menu to see if the VOD is listed. If it is you need to change the address of your remote.

I'm surprised (not) that the CSR did not recommend that you do this simple menu check. You might want to call technical help rather than a generic CSR.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   OceanaJones

OceanaJones

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a VIP722K. I selected "Menu", "System Setup" then "Purchase History" The resulting screen has nothing listed Past or Present. Several months ago I had to change my RF remote due to interference with next door neighbor. My next door neighbor has the same set up as I do. I think maybe you are right about being something they ordered and I got charged. Don't appear to show up in my history though. Thanks for your input.

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

I have a VIP722K. I selected "Menu", "System Setup" then "Purchase History" The resulting screen has nothing listed Past or Present. Several months ago I had to change my RF remote due to interference with next door neighbor. My next door neighbor has the same set up as I do. I think maybe you are right about being something they ordered and I got charged. Don't appear to show up in my history though. Thanks for your input.

I would find it hard to believe that they could inadvertently order a single PPV and yet you not see periodic channel changes and other unexplained happenings. Info screens popping up, etc.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 14 September 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Unless its changed, once the PPV/VOD is reported to Dish, its removed from the ppv history list.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

Sometimes my dog lays down on top of the remote, and strange things happen!

Wilf

#10 OFFLINE   OceanaJones

OceanaJones

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

The "Purchase History" list, which is empty, has a past and pending list which leads me to believe if a VOD purchase was made with my remote it would show up as a past purchase. If the "past" purchase list is cleared everytime the reciever "phones home" then the "past" purchase history list is useless. I would be surprised if that is the case. I would like to get to the bottom of the issue as to why I was charged for something I didn't ask for. Purchasing a VOD with the remote by accident is almost impossible.

#11 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

A $7 charge is not a slam by Dish. Someone ordered the movie and isn't coming clean.

#12 OFFLINE   articos

articos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

If you're sure you didn't order it, you may not have. Dish has had multiple reported issues over the past months of their billing system glitching and charging people erroneously for PPV/VOD for movies they didn't order. Check back in the forum here and on the other site.

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

If you're sure you didn't order it, you may not have. Dish has had multiple reported issues over the past months of their billing system glitching and charging people erroneously for PPV/VOD for movies they didn't order. Check back in the forum here and on the other site.

Would you provide the multiple links? :)

#14 OFFLINE   OceanaJones

OceanaJones

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

A $7 charge is not a slam by Dish. Someone ordered the movie and isn't coming clean.

A $7 charge made to my bill without my knowledge is indeed slamming. I visited the "other" site and sure enough there is an ongoing thread with the same problem as I am describing. I only posted here to document my VOD billing error. I am hoping that others will post if they too experience a problem with their billing. If all I wanted was to screw Dish out of a $7 charge, I would have accepted the agents "one time courtesy refund" and laughed all the way to the bank and never bother to post the issue here. To imply that I am lying about not ordering the VOD indicates immature and childish behavior. Ya'll better go check your bills I bet I ain't the only one!

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

Not to argue semantics (though I obviously am anyway)... I always thought "slamming" was when someone put a completely unauthorized charge on your bill... like those infamous non-US companies putting bogus charges on your phone bill for services you never got.

IF it's a billing error or a Dish screw up, that doesn't seem like "slamming" to me... but obviously something you'd want to get straight pretty quickly with Dish so you don't pay for a movie you didn't watch!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

A $7 charge made to my bill without my knowledge is indeed slamming. I visited the "other" site and sure enough there is an ongoing thread with the same problem as I am describing. ...

Two people claiming that the PPV was not ordered does not a case make. lol

do you honestly believe a multi-billion dollar firm with a strong need to be able to communicate with its clients would knowingly conduct fraudulent activities to poach the occasional $7. Will you or "articos" post a link even one other forum member here that has claimed this happened.

I assume that you are not fibbing and also I certainly don't know how it happened, but there can be no doubt that indeed somehow a PPV was ordered and in the face of your tactful denials, Dish tried to make it right by you.

You may want to try to move on with your life now that you've recovered your $7. lol :rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   articos

articos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:59 AM

Two people claiming that the PPV was not ordered does not a case make. lol

do you honestly believe a multi-billion dollar firm with a strong need to be able to communicate with its clients would knowingly conduct fraudulent activities to poach the occasional $7. Will you or "articos" post a link even one other forum member here that has claimed this happened.

I assume that you are not fibbing and also I certainly don't know how it happened, but there can be no doubt that indeed somehow a PPV was ordered and in the face of your tactful denials, Dish tried to make it right by you.

You may want to try to move on with your life now that you've recovered your $7. lol :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure I don't appreciate your tone, sir. :nono2:

You may not read any other satellite sites, but if you did, you might have seen a thread over on what's commonly referred to as "the other site" that's 9 pages long, starting in June of this year, titled "Charged for VOD I didn't order." I'm not going to link to it here, because I'm not sure James or Stewart would appreciate that. I'm sure you can find it easily if you search. It's quite a few more than 2 people, as you so sarcastically point out, so actually, yes, there can be some doubt. No, I don't believe a multi-billion dollar corporation would "knowingly conduct fraudulent activities to poach the occasional $7," but I do believe that billing software is programmed by humans, and humans make mistakes and churn out buggy software. See also: Nearly all of Dish's software upgrades for their IRD's. ;) So, yes, it's entirely plausible Dish's billing software, which was upgraded recently, has a glitch which is inadvertently billing me and a significant, but still small, portion of Dish's customer base for VOD/PPV programming that they didn't order. Am I sure that's what happened in this particular case? No. But is it possible? Sure, especially recently.

#18 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

... It's quite a few more than 2 people, ....

Ah, the smoking gun. Now I'm convinced that Dish has faulty software that they are permitting to poach $7 from the occasional customer. lol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

Well, you can add me as a "me too" as far as having a PPV show up that was not ordered(I haven't watched any PPV movies). I did a chat with a Dish tech but he wasn't clear about what was going on or even if we would be charged if we didn't watch the movie. I deleted the movie("Killers") to make sure it wasn't watched(I might have watched it though if it was the HD version). There is just the two of us(no pets either) so nobody in the house ordered it. The History is empty. My account shows no charges for it so I assume all is OK. FWIW.

Craig T

#20 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

... There is just the two of us(no pets either) so nobody in the house ordered it. ...

Ah, the mistake free house. :lol:

There are hundreds of threads here that start off saying something happened that was wrong... only to find out it was not. :rolleyes:

I'm glad the evil empire got caught bilking OceanaJones and you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...