Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722 second TV installation question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Arthalius

Arthalius

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi all, I'm trying to make a change to my existing setup, and have a question.

I live in a 125 year old home with brick-core interior walls (it was originally a forge, but was converted into a home about 100 years ago). About 15 years ago the previous owner remodeled the home, replaced all of the wiring, and had RG-6 run into the living room and one of the upstairs bedrooms. This is a "big deal" because between the brick cores and the desire to preserve the remaining 100 year old oak paneling, it's all but impossible to make new cable runs through this house.

About 18 months ago I had my ViP 722 hooked up by a Dish installer. He mounted the Dish 1000 dish directly above the cable access point on my exterior wall. Because a new cable couldn't be run, he disconnected the splitter in the cable box (we didn't have a TV in the bedroom anyway) and simply connected the LNB to the 722 via the existing RG-6 run.

Now my wife wants a TV in the bedroom too. I know that I can run a second cable from the LNB to the other cable run, and install a second tuner in that room, but I'd prefer to use the Home Distribution connector on the 722. Not only would it be cheaper (no fees for a second receiver), but it would allow us to watch DVR material on both TV's (very important when my wife wants to watch her soaps, and I want to watch Top Gear).

Our problem, of course, is that we have a single strand of RG-6 running from the existing LNB to the 722 receiver. Is it possible to run BOTH the LNB-Receiver connection AND the Home Distribution connection over the same cable? I know that Big Orange sells bi-directional satellite-friendly multi-splitters that would allow the signal to flow properly, but I don't know if the signals would interfere with each other, or if there are voltage differences present that might damage something.

If this isn't possible, does anyone else have any suggestions that don't involve stringing cable from the ceiling, or paying a contractor $5k to pull paneling?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Yes, you need a set of Diplexers. First diplexer goes between the output of the DPP separator and the wall (TV2 and Sat line into diplexer), and the second goes wherever your input for the other room is to pull the TV2 signal back out of the cable.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   Arthalius

Arthalius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

Great! I was expecting that it would be wired that way, but was concerned about signal interference.

One more quick question: Do you know if I'll actually need a 2-way diplexer, or will normal diplexers work?

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

You need a diplexer as opposed to a splitter.

http://www.sadoun.co...er_diplexer.htm

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

A stated - a diplexer instead of a splitter - the OTA goes to the home distribution out, the Sat goes before the DishPro Plus Seperator, common up the chase. At the other end of the chase - common to the other common, OTA to your bedroom TV, and Sat on out to the LNB / Dish
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   Arthalius

Arthalius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks guys, you saved me a bit of worry!

And I learned a new word today "diplexer". When I woke up this morning, a splitter was a splitter, and I had no clue that there was a difference. :)

As for the "regular" vs. "two-way", I think I was just confused by the way that the manufacturers had labeled them. I was looking at one that was simply labeled "Input/Sat/ANT", and another that was labelled with a longer "Satellite In/Out, Ant In/OUT, IN/OUT". The one with the longer text was a bit more expensive, so I assumed that it was bidirectional and the other wasn't. It took a bit of reading before I realized that all diplexers are bidirectional.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Posted Image

I whipped this up. Hope it helps.

#8 OFFLINE   Arthalius

Arthalius

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Yep, got it all hooked up last night and it's working great!

I have to admit, though, that I've been running HD on my big plasma so long that I forgot just how ugly SD can be. I actually thought that something was wrong with the TV until I dragged my BD player upstairs and fed an HDMI signal to it. Ah well. My wife just wanted our little 22" lcd hooked up so she'd have something to watch while she's jogging on the treadmill anyway. Don't really need HD for that.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

#9 OFFLINE   mountaintop

mountaintop

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

I just my dish equipment today. All is well.
My 722 is in the family room and the 622 is in the basement.
By using the duplixer I can add the tv2 out from the 722 and then pull it back out in the basement with another on and run that coax to the tuner on the tv

Do I put this before the duplixer before the splitter the install has running to both turners. and the basement one in the same place before the splitter.

If you have three tv could you do it again. Reason shows in the 722 could be watch anywhere is SD.
THanks

spam firewall