Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free Broadband for "High End Users?"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

CNBC just flashed on the screen during "Fast Money" that the DirecTv CEO announced that "High end" customers will get free broadband in Q4. Have not seen any additional references.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

CNBC just flashed on the screen during "Fast Money" that the DirecTv CEO announced that "High end" customers will get free broadband in Q4. Have not seen any additional references.

I listened to the conference call, the way I heard it it sounded like it would be an internet connection kit, or something along that line, to interconnect DirecTV receivers to a customers internet connection. IIRC he said it would be a $70 feature that they would provide free to hight end customers.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I listened to the conference call, the way I heard it it sounded like it would be an internet connection kit, or something along that line, to interconnect DirecTV receivers to a customers internet connection. IIRC he said it would be a $70 feature that they would provide free to hight end customers.

and "high end" customers would be...?

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

and "high end" customers would be...?

The ones that get this free offer:D

DirecTV probably isn't going to say what they consider high end.

#5 OFFLINE   vbedford

vbedford

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

What does this mean?

#6 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

vbeford, you ask, What does this mean?".

I say, it means that DirecTv is beginning to grow concerned about the threat from the multiple offerings that MSO's provide, coupled with the customers leaving for Netlifx & Redbox.

Sky TV in the UK also provided broadband, but it bought a broadband provider to do so.

Rad, did any analyst ask who it would team up with for the broadband, and how this would impact their costs?

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

vbeford, you ask, What does this mean?".

I say, it means that DirecTv is beginning to grow concerned about the threat from the multiple offerings that MSO's provide, coupled with the customers leaving for Netlifx & Redbox.

Sky TV in the UK also provided broadband, but it bought a broadband provider to do so.

Rad, did any analyst ask who it would team up with for the broadband, and how this would impact their costs?

I think you're miss reading WAY too much into this. As I posted earlier they way it was discussed it would be something that cost about $70 and would provide internet connectivity to DirecTV receivers. They feel that having internet connectivity is important but nowhere did I come away with the impression that they would be giving internet service to their high end customers.

#8 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

I get pounded with ATT mailings on a weekly basis. Direct TV should be concerned. They are being undercut on the low end by Dish and one-upped on the high end by package deals. Now you can get an ATT package with your Iphone.

Direct TV needs something like this desperately to remain competitive. NFL and MLB packages only go so far.

#9 OFFLINE   highheater

highheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

from Reuters ...

"CFO says Direct TV to offer free broadband connection to 'high end customers' in fourth quarter."

#10 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,738 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think you're miss reading WAY too much into this. As I posted earlier they way it was discussed it would be something that cost about $70 and would provide internet connectivity to DirecTV receivers. They feel that having internet connectivity is important but nowhere did I come away with the impression that they would be giving internet service to their high end customers.

So, from the way I read what you say, they'll be providing free what a lot of us got when we had DirecTV put in MRV. I guess it could be without MRV, but if they make all the receivers able to connect to the net, that would mean DECA, and at that point you've basically got a MRV system depending on the receiver models.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

So, from the way I read what you say, they'll be providing free what a lot of us got when we had DirecTV put in MRV. I guess it could be without MRV, but if they make all the receivers able to connect to the net, that would mean DECA, and at that point you've basically got a MRV system depending on the receiver models.

That could very well be. But I see this as a way to get internet connections to the folks that have only 1 HD DVR and haven't connected it to the internet. I do wish that he would have expanded on his statement since he really just glossed over the statement.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

I get pounded with ATT mailings on a weekly basis. Direct TV should be concerned. They are being undercut on the low end by Dish and one-upped on the high end by package deals. Now you can get an ATT package with your Iphone.

Direct TV needs something like this desperately to remain competitive. NFL and MLB packages only go so far.

They are shaking in their boots. Meanwhile, their customer base grows faster than any other segment of the market during a recession.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

They already started this. It's been our work order for weeks. All it has been so far, is on upgrades adding an HD-DVR there is two "HOME PLUGS".

Basically a home plug is two power strips that use your homes electrical wiring to pass ethernet. One goes at your router the other goes at the receiver and it passes ethernet to the receiver.

However they might start including the SWM Broadband decas on new installs seeing as all new installs with HD equipment are swm. Which is fine, more money for techs seeing as a broadband deca pays the same as dropping another receiver.

edit: I would like to point out that most customers had no idea it was even on the work order. If we don't have them in stock I don't even mention it, because the customer has no idea what I am talking about. It's dumb.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#14 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

Tonyd79, its net adds went from 224K in 2Q09 to 100K in 2Q10. True, they added while all but one of the other PayTV co's declined, but the industry as a whole lost customers for the first time ever.

Since 1995, the average monthly PayTV bill has increased by 122%, while the median number of hours watched by a household has increased by 13%.

Somethings gotta give.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Tonyd79, its net adds went from 224K in 2Q09 to 100K in 2Q10. True, they added while all but one of the other PayTV co's declined, but the industry as a whole lost customers for the first time ever.

Since 1995, the average monthly PayTV bill has increased by 122%, while the median number of hours watched by a household has increased by 13%.

Somethings gotta give.

Again. Net GAINS. While others are losing. Even the NFL is showing regression in its revenues. It's the economy. You even prove my argument. The industry is in decline and DirecTV is still gaining customers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Really, what this is is an attempt to keep and control users who might otherwise be siphoned off by OTHER downloadable TV options (NetFlix, Hulu, etc.). Dish is doing the exact same thing: providing free connectivity devices for folks who have the capability to use them (i.e., a wired high-speed Internet connection and a router with an available port).

The reason is simple: both providers see very clearly that TV content distribution will EVENTUALLY largely move to the 'net, BUT that also, TODAY, the 'net is being used to augment the content that is already available on linear TV. And the percentage of downloaded content being viewed is only going to increase.

DirecTV and Dish look at it like this: "We are already in the home providing mainstream TV programming. Why should we let other competitors (Apple, Google, Hulu, Netflix, etc.) get to control the 'net-based TV, when we are already there? Let's get our current boxes connected, even if features are minimal today, and start designing more robust 'net features into all future boxes."

They know that if they don't start getting their current boxes connected to the 'net, TODAY, they will quickly lose the battle for the TV, first to early adopters, and eventually to the mainstream. So they are making the effort, TODAY, to get the boxes connected, which means that any future upgraded boxes will "automatically" be connected to the existing connections.

Plus, it adds that all-important talk-back channel so that usage data and system health check info can be gotten back to the company.

#17 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

They already started this. It's been our work order for weeks. All it has been so far, is on upgrades adding an HD-DVR there is two "HOME PLUGS".

Basically a home plug is two power strips that use your homes electrical wiring to pass ethernet. One goes at your router the other goes at the receiver and it passes ethernet to the receiver.

However they might start including the SWM Broadband decas on new installs seeing as all new installs with HD equipment are swm. Which is fine, more money for techs seeing as a broadband deca pays the same as dropping another receiver.

edit: I would like to point out that most customers had no idea it was even on the work order. If we don't have them in stock I don't even mention it, because the customer has no idea what I am talking about. It's dumb.

I believe that they are called "Powerline Adapters"; I have an HD DVR, an Xbox 360, and a Playstation 3 all hooked up this way. I also have another HD DVR, a Wii, and 4 computers hooked up to my wireless network.

#18 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

I believe that they are called "Powerline Adapters"; I have an HD DVR, an Xbox 360, and a Playstation 3 all hooked up this way. I also have another HD DVR, a Wii, and 4 computers hooked up to my wireless network.

I think Homeplug and Powerline Adapters are speaking to the same thing; Homeplug is the technology, Powerline Adapters are the equipment.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thread should probably retitled "Free Broadband connectivity", meaning they arent giving you free broadband, but a way to connect your D* equipment to your broadband provider

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think this most likely means they will install a DECA broadband adapter for free to good customers (people who buy lots of PPV).

When you think about this it makes a lot of sense with their new PPV system they are pushing out in the 4th quarter. The new system allows you to go online and order a PPV movie and it will be beamed down to your DVR by satellite, or sent to you over the internet if your DVR is connected to broadband. I'm sure it will cost D* more money to beam the content over satellite, so the more people they can get to use the braodband option the less it will cost them. So if they come out and install a broadband DECA adapter for free to people who order a lot of PPV it will save them money in the long run (and maybe get you to buy more PPV which makes them more money).

spam firewall