Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 3D update out 9/21(?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:14 AM

From http://blog.us.plays...stem-next-week/

Hi everyone, I wanted to share some news out of Tokyo Game Show. We’ve announced that the PS3 system will be able to play back 3D content on Blu-ray 3D discs with the next system software update (v.3.50), slated for release on September 21.

Now this does run counter to what some Sony exec's said at a conference a couple weeks again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 9/21 date is good.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

From http://blog.us.plays...stem-next-week/

Now this does run counter to what some Sony exec's said at a conference a couple weeks again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 9/21 date is good.

And still no word from Sony/Netflix about when Netflix will be built into the PS3 so that we can stop using the disc......

Waiting, wishing, and hoping for Netflix to upgrade to DD5.1 audio too.......

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

Can't wait but the big question is will it have checkerboard 3D capability?

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

Got the update this morning. Not good news for Mitsubishi or Samsung DLP owners. No checkerboard. Too bad.

#5 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Got the update this morning. Not good news for Mitsubishi or Samsung DLP owners. No checkerboard. Too bad.

Only 3D Blu-Ray I have is the Disney Demo that came with the Mits 3DC-1000 converter kit and that plays just fine on my Mits WD73735 with the 3DC. You had me scared for a moment that the PS/3 3D upgrade wouldn't work on my setup.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

Only 3D Blu-Ray I have is the Disney Demo that came with the Mits 3DC-1000 converter kit and that plays just fine on my Mits WD73735 with the 3DC. You had me scared for a moment that the PS/3 3D upgrade wouldn't work on my setup.

Sorry about that. I was speaking in terms of not having the adapter.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

Question regarding PS3...Just bought a PS3, and a blu ray to test it out with.
Im only getting stereo audio (via HDMI). The disc says it has ENGLISH 7.1 DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO or ENGLISH MONO. The DTS circuit on my Denon 5.1 AVR wont activate, and all I can do is listen in stereo, or a crappy sounding PrologicII with no rear channels.

Is this standard for Blu Ray? Am I going to have to buy a new AVR to listen to these things in more than two channel stereo?

Edit: I changed the player to Bitstream (which warned it wouldnt play some of the blu ray content), but doing so activated my 5.1 Denons DTS circuit. I guess Im going to miss the 2 side channels?

Second question: My EDGE is showing the input format as 1080p/24 and its converting it to 1080p/60 since my Sharp wont accept 1080p/24. Are all blu-rays 1080p/24 or is that /24 /60 settings somewhere on the PS3?

Edited by Davenlr, 23 October 2010 - 12:48 AM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   emoxley

emoxley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Edit: I changed the player to Bitstream (which warned it wouldnt play some of the blu ray content), but doing so activated my 5.1 Denons DTS circuit. I guess Im going to miss the 2 side channels?

If you miss anything, it will be the two surround back channels (rears), not the sides. In a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are to the side and just behind the head. They don't really go behind you. See Dolby's guide: http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html

If your receiver is a 7.1 receiver, but you are using it as 5.1, you should disable the surround back channels in the receiver's setup menus. You'll be assured of not missing anything, because the receiver will mix the surround back channels into the 5.1 channels.

Yes, all the blu rays I've seen so far are 1080p/24...........
1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
Pioneer PL-514 turntable
Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

#9 OFFLINE   3dtvs

3dtvs

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

how is gaming in 3d? I havent got the chance to try it yet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...