Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix Instantly via DirecTV internet connection - does Dish have any such feature?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   janeslogin

janeslogin

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

It is rumored over at netflixcommunity.ning.com that one may be able to Watch Netflix Instantly via DirecTV internet connection. Have you heard such a rumor? Does Dish have any such feature currently or in the planning?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

It is rumored over at netflixcommunity.ning.com that one may be able to Watch Netflix Instantly via DirecTV internet connection. Have you heard such a rumor? Does Dish have any such feature currently or in the planning?

The posting in question:
This one should be a no-brainer, but I was hoping someone could verify before I proceed...

I'm currently a Netflix subscriber and I'm thinking about getting DirecTV at home. DirecTV does offer a service called TV Internet Connection which supposedly allows the user to browse web pages using their TV. I'm very aware that Netflix offers an Instantly To Your TV service, but I don't currently have the equipment to do that (although I do occasionally use the Watch Instantly feature to see movies on my pc). My question is: if I get DirecTV with the Internet service, will I get access to Netflix "Instantly To Your TV" service or just the "Watch Instantly" service via the internet connection, or is there any difference?I guess my confusion stems from the DirecTV DVR not being listed among Netflix-compatible devices, as well as the two companies currently being rivals.

DirecTV TV Internet Connection has nothing to do with browsing web pages. It is simply giving your DVR access to certain internet based functions of DirecTV itself.

I see no future for Netflix with DirecTV. Netflix competes directly with DirecTV and it would be foolish of DirecTV to facilitate access to netflix streaming service through their hardware.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

Although with the new AppleTV offering Netflix you have to wonder. I mean Netflix is a direct competitor to the ATV also...

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

IMHO, I don't see DirecTV partnering with NetFlix, it would drain $'s from the PPV and premium movie business.

However, when using the MediaShare function on network attached HD receivers, when using PlayOn, http://www.playon.tv/index.php , installed on a PC you can access NetFlix, Hulu, and a bunch of other network content sites. With additional plugin's that folks write there's a bunch of other sites accessable. This is not a supported configuration and sometimes new versions of software on the DirecTV STB or PlayOn break it for awhile it eventually works again. Note, you don't have DVR functions using this, you can only pause.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

I have streaming Netflix using my bluray player and I can tell you the list of movies available to stream today is so limited that it isn't worth the bother.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,900 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

I have streaming Netflix using my bluray player and I can tell you the list of movies available to stream today is so limited that it isn't worth the bother.

That's your opinion. I have 107 titles in just my Instant Queue.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

I use Netflix Streaming just about every day. (32 times a month according to http://feedfliks.com ). It is awesome. The selection is very good right now, and is getting better every month.

I have a Netflix client built right into the TV in my bedroom (Sony KDS-32EX308). I've been watching all of the old News Radio episodes, recently.

I also have recently streamed Aliens, Magnum PI, Heist, Planet 51, K-PAX, Lethal Weapon, Memento, Sherlock Holmes (PBS), The Fugitive, Die Hard, The Taking of Pelham 123, The X-Files, Zombieland, Terminator 2, Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein (seriously), The Whole Nine Yards, 30 Rock, The A-Team, Knight Rider, etc...

I don't see why DirecTV would include this service, though. It competes with them.

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

You need to buy a SHARP WiFi HD set to be able to do that. QVC has them. That's my next TV in five to six years.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Netflix streaming now offers about 45% of 2010 box office releases. I doubt HBO offers that. It's a clear threat to PayTV, as a non-sports fan PayTV gets a MUCH better value. If they were smart, the MSOs and DBS co's would remove ESPN and all sports programming from their popular tiers, and isolate them in a sports package.

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

You've got to be kidding. :)

Lots of current and recent selections available.

I can view them either via Xbox360, PS3, Wii, or a PC. The images are DVD or better quality with my good www connection. (Fios.)

#11 OFFLINE   ans2004

ans2004

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

You can purchase software called playon online and when you load this up in your computer it allows you to play your netflix instant and youtube as long as your hd dvr is connected to the internet using the same network as your computer. When i bought the software it was $40. nETFLIX WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR MENU ON HDDVR

#12 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

You can purchase software called playon online and when you load this up in your computer it allows you to play your netflix instant and youtube as long as your hd dvr is connected to the internet using the same network as your computer. When i bought the software it was $40.

And now a box that does that same thing, but in HD, is $69. :)
http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

#13 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Although with the new AppleTV offering Netflix you have to wonder. I mean Netflix is a direct competitor to the ATV also...

The iTunes store and Netflix use different models. iTunes is more about picking up that show you missed last night for a cheap price, and you pay per epsiode.

Netflix is subscription based, so one low fee for all of your streaming (and blu-ray or dvd discs by mail) needs.

Even directv's cinema on demand isn't a direct competitor to Netflix, it's a slightly different model, rental vs. subscription.

But will we see Netflix natively on a DirecTV box? probably not. All though I'd love it!
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

You need to buy a SHARP WiFi HD set to be able to do that. QVC has them. That's my next TV in five to six years.

:confused:
What is this in response to? You don't need a Sharp TV to watch Netflix Live.

#15 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

You don't need a Sharp TV, but you need a Roku, Xbox, or a TV that is equipped with the Netflix software.

Within three years, I'd bet that 80% of TVs sold will connect to the Web, and Netflix will be one of many built-in options.

#16 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

How are people mainly connecting to Netflix?

JACK,

#17 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just got Samsung HDTV and also a Samsung Blu-Ray player. Both of them can connect to the Internet and stream from Netflix (along with a bunch of other stuff). Can't see even subbing to any of the premiums any longer.

#18 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

I just got Samsung HDTV and also a Samsung Blu-Ray player. Both of them can connect to the Internet and stream from Netflix (along with a bunch of other stuff). Can't see even subbing to any of the premiums any longer.

Im on the verge of getting rid of premiums also

JACK,

#19 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Netflix has 15M subscribers, projected to grow to 19M by the end of the year. About 60% of Netflix subscribers use the streaming component of their package.

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

How are people mainly connecting to Netflix?

My Xbox 360 and my Wii.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall