Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pros and Cons for moving from HR2X to Dish 922

suggestions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Last May I got the great deal to move to Dish free for one year so I decided to go ahead and try it out. Here's the pros and cons from 4 months of using my 922 in comparison to my HR21.

922 vs HR2X

922 Pros:

* OTA Module (4 shows recording at the same time!)
* 1TB hard drive (still haven’t filled it after 5 months)
* PIP (I use a lot watching live sports)
* Press DVR button three times to get to ToDo List
* Ability to create folders or group shows by title in playlist
* Remote Locator to help find lost remote
* % watched bar on each show in playlist
* “Live TV” box pops up when you catch up to your buffer
* Shows how much buffer time you have left when you press pause during a live show
* RF remote
* Sling

922 Cons (HR2X pros):

* No way to skip forward to tick when watching show (have to do 300x FFW)
* Pressing play doesn’t bring up the playback bar, have to press pause (I liked to do this with D* to see how much of the show was left)
* Playback bar shows full buffer instead of just “this show”. Was nice with D* to see how much of show was left.
* No way to change to specific date in guide (have to use the FFW button to skip one day at a time) [Edit: can move forward multiple days by hitting FFWD multiple times while viewing the guide]
* Guide data
o Only 7 days worth of guide data (vs 14 with D*)
o Doesn’t get updated very quickly (D* would sometimes catch same day changes in schedule for presidential address etc)
o Not very descriptive (just a subjective feeling again compared to D*)
o No previous shows in guide (D* would look back at least a few hours)
* Prioritizing series timers is difficult because it requires editing the individual show
* No option to avoid recording a show on a different channel when watching live TV (just starts a count down and switches the channel) [Edit: can hit select during countdown and cancel the recording]
* No Scoreguide
* Live buffer doesn't continue to cache when watching a recorded show

General Dish vs D* Pro/Cons

Dish Pros:

* NFL RedZone for $7 a month, can’t be beat for fantasy football fans
* Sports Pack $7 per month, and includes RedZone (but see con for issue with less channels covered by sports pack)
* Overall pricing is cheaper

D* Pros:

* D* carries more channels in their sports pack (had to have a D* friend get the sports pak to watch a game on Fox College Sports)
* HD Picture quality seems more compressed on Dish
* Rolling HD brownouts on Dish…. Your show might not be in HD even if the HD channel is offered because of bandwith limitations
* D* specific programming (Friday Night Lights is one of our favorite shows not available on Dish until its replayed on NBC)

Edited by hoopsbwc34, 19 September 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

* No option to avoid recording a show on a different channel when watching live TV (just starts a count down and switches the channel)

I have a question on this. I don't have a 922 yet, but looking at picking one up this holiday season. On my old 622 and on both my current 722k's, DVR events happen in the background not on the live tuner, unless you are are already recording a show. Autotunes happen on the live tuner, but either way once you see the 2 minute count down, you just press the select button, and in the popup window you just press cancel, and it wont DVR or Autotune.

Does this not happen on the 922?

#3 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

I have a question on this. I don't have a 922 yet, but looking at picking one up this holiday season. On my old 622 and on both my current 722k's, DVR events happen in the background not on the live tuner, unless you are are already recording a show. Autotunes happen on the live tuner, but either way once you see the 2 minute count down, you just press the select button, and in the popup window you just press cancel, and it wont DVR or Autotune.

Does this not happen on the 922?

This is in the case where both tuners are going to be recording (so there is no background tuner). I haven't tried to hit the select button yet, so that may be the answer! That was part of my reason for posting this actually, was to see if there were some tricks I was missing.

You wouldn't happen to know how to get the guide to jump to a certain date would you? :)
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

922 Cons (HR2X pros):

* Playback bar shows full buffer instead of just “this show”. Was nice with D* to see how much of show was left.

You should be able to see how much time is left in the current show by looking at the Channel Bar (pressing cancel, for example) that shows what channel you are watching. On the left-side just under the program name and time there should be a "xxx remaining" indication of how much time is left in what you are currently watching.

* No way to change to specific date in guide (have to use the FFW button to skip one day at a time)

I admit, there are times when I would like this feature too... when I know I'm trying to find something several days from now.

o No previous shows in guide (D* would look back at least a few hours)

I would like this too... sometimes it is nice to know what I just missed in case it is something coming on later and I want to search for it and DVR it.

* No option to avoid recording a show on a different channel when watching live TV (just starts a count down and switches the channel)

I'd have to verify... but on other ViP receivers when you see this countdown timer you can press "Info" on the remote and it tells you about the timer getting ready to fire and you have the option to cancel it.

* Rolling HD brownouts on Dish…. Your show might not be in HD even if the HD channel is offered because of bandwith limitations

Not sure what you are talking about here. The ONLY channels I'm aware of that Dish does the time-sharing thing are with the RSNs (and by association this means their NBA/NHL league pass as well).

Is this what you are talking about? IF not, I'm curious as to what other channels you think should have been available but were not.

* D* specific programming (Friday Night Lights is one of our favorite shows not available on Dish until its replayed on NBC)

Personally, I think this is a bad move by the Friday Night Lights folk to take a program to a channel specific to only one provider. It's their choice of course to do so, but it limits their already limited audience to even less possible eyes.

Kudos for DirecTV being willing to pick up the show and help it produce more episodes... but I hope it is a trend that doesn't catch on and I don't want to see Dish-only programs and Time-Warner-only programs, etc. etc. We'll be like all those Blu/DVD releases where you get different content if you buy from Target instead of Best Buy.

I don't want my TV going down that road.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

You wouldn't happen to know how to get the guide to jump to a certain date would you? :)

FYI, I forgot to mention... while you can't go to a specific date... there is a whole bag of tricks that might help a little...

FWD/REW -> Jump 24 hours at a time
Skip/Skip Back -> Jump 3 hours at a time

AND

You can press number keys and then the left/right arrow to jump a specific number of hours. OF course eventually any high number (999 for example) goes to the end/beginning of the guide...

But you could type 7+2+Right arrow to jump 3 days ahead. It's not as good as specific-date entry, but if you can do the math in your head you can get pretty close.

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

What's next, Comcast-only sports networks?

Oops, we already have that....

#7 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Stewart!

You should be able to see how much time is left in the current show by looking at the Channel Bar (pressing cancel, for example) that shows what channel you are watching. On the left-side just under the program name and time there should be a "xxx remaining" indication of how much time is left in what you are currently watching.

Thanks... That's what I do now, I just still prefer the D* method, maybe just because it is how I started.

Not sure what you are talking about here. The ONLY channels I'm aware of that Dish does the time-sharing thing are with the RSNs (and by association this means their NBA/NHL league pass as well).

Is this what you are talking about? IF not, I'm curious as to what other channels you think should have been available but were not.

Yes, I am talking about the RSNs. I watch a lot of sports :)

Personally, I think this is a bad move by the Friday Night Lights folk to take a program to a channel specific to only one provider. It's their choice of course to do so, but it limits their already limited audience to even less possible eyes.

Kudos for DirecTV being willing to pick up the show and help it produce more episodes... but I hope it is a trend that doesn't catch on and I don't want to see Dish-only programs and Time-Warner-only programs, etc. etc. We'll be like all those Blu/DVD releases where you get different content if you buy from Target instead of Best Buy.

I don't want my TV going down that road.

I don't think FNL had much of a choice, as they didn't have any other funding source. But I agree that I don't want to see this pattern continue...I'd hate to have my favorite shows spread out on different providers.

#8 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

You can press number keys and then the left/right arrow to jump a specific number of hours. OF course eventually any high number (999 for example) goes to the end/beginning of the guide...

But you could type 7+2+Right arrow to jump 3 days ahead. It's not as good as specific-date entry, but if you can do the math in your head you can get pretty close.

Awesome! Thanks!!

#9 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Awesome! Thanks!!

Also in the guide if you hit the skip/fwd button you can jump a day ahead too.
Helps with jumping as many days you want. Next thursday, push skip 7 times your are there.

#10 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Also in the guide if you hit the skip/fwd button you can jump a day ahead too.
Helps with jumping as many days you want. Next thursday, push skip 7 times your are there.

Thanks, that one I knew...but it still seems pretty slow to jump ahead 7 days using this method.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

The RSNs just don't seem to be a priority for Dish... and I guess I can understand that. There was mention of the possibility of full-time RSNs by next year... but I'm not sure I'd hold my breath for it.

Fortunately I mostly get what I want since my ACC college football/basketball seems to be fairly well covered on the channels I already have and for the most part I seem to get the FOX Sports-carried ACC games when I want.

I'm not into baseball or hockey, and that seems to be where the most games get missed by Dish (except of course for also not having Sunday Ticket). I at least don't mind not having Sunday Ticket since the cost is way way more than I'd ever dream of justifying and most of the time I get a decent game or 4 to watch every Sunday via the OTA channels and RedZone helps to fill in the gaps on the scoring drives for the other games.

I think if you get past most of those kinds of hurdles, even the stuff that is missing or different becomes a function of what you're already used to... so once you adjust to Dish you might not miss some of the nice-to-have features as much as the functional/unavailable-channel ones.

#12 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thanks, that one I knew...but it still seems pretty slow to jump ahead 7 days using this method.

I was curious so I gave it a go. It took me 3 seconds to hit the Guide button and Skip forward button 7 times. How long does it take on an HR2x?

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Based on my experience with the HR20 & HR21, it could take longer than that to get it to respond to the remote at all, let alone actually do something.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#14 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

I was curious so I gave it a go. It took me 3 seconds to hit the Guide button and Skip forward button 7 times. How long does it take on an HR2x?

Well, I guess I never tried to hit it multiple times at once. I had always hit it once, waited for it go forward one day then hit it again. I just hit it 7 times and it quickly moved to a week ahead!

You still get more flexibility with D* (to move forward to a certain time on a certain day, plus you have two weeks of guide data) but it is definitely slower to bring up the guide and switch to that specific day/time compared to this...

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

One can also type in the number of hours one wants to skip forward and back and press the right or left arrows respectively. 168 > jumps one week ahead.

(Yes, that requires math. I prefer the "skip forward" seven times method for ease of use. My fingers are not on the numberpad.)

#16 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Actually, entering 168 changes the EPG to channel 168.
At least it does on my 722.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Actually, entering 168 changes the EPG to channel 168.
At least it does on my 722.

168 arrow right?

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

You have to be careful OR quick... because for some channels the EPG jumps immediately to the channel in the guide if it recognizes.

For example... if I type 144 it jumps to ESPN2... so it would be tough to jump 144 hours (6 days) ahead using that method unless you can hit the right arrow before the receiver recognizes the channel #.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Quick works ... Trying it one handed isn't recommended. When I tested it earlier today (before posting the suggestion) I used my left hand for the digits and the right thumb for the arrow (and I did say I prefer just using the "skip forward").

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

...the EPG jumps immediately to the channel in the guide if it recognizes.

This is what happens when I enter 168 on my 722 regardless of how fast I attempt to press the arrow key. The EPG change happens almost instantly.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...