Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pros and Cons for moving from HR2X to Dish 922

suggestions

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

For me, any enrty from 100 - 499 results in an instant epg change, two-handed or otherwise. Above 499 + right arrow jumps to the end of the epg.

!00-399 instant epg change actually

Edited by VDP07, 18 September 2010 - 09:17 AM.
incorrect info

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

For me, any enrty from 100 - 499 results in an instant epg change, two-handed or otherwise. Above 499 + right arrow jumps to the end of the epg.

!00-399 instant epg change actually

To much time on my hands actually:grin:

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

I think the 922 offers a "benefit" by accident here, because sometimes it is slower to process channel recognition than my 622/722 receivers... which gives me that extra fraction of a second needed to jump ahead in the guide like I want.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#24 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

I think the 922 offers a "benefit" by accident here, because sometimes it is slower to process channel recognition than my 622/722 receivers... which gives me that extra fraction of a second needed to jump ahead in the guide like I want.

24-48-72-96 right arrow, work fine on both my 722's. Anything larger than 96 it goes directly to that channel.

#25 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Added two more things:

No live buffer captured on 922 when watching a recorded show
Scoreguide on my HR21 was nice too
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Added two more things:

Technically it does buffer... but only on one tuner. All of the Dish DVRs have this particular quirk.

Put tuner 1 on Syfy and swap to the other tuner and put tuner 2 on USA.

Swap back to tuner 1 and then go into the DVR menu and watch a recorded movie.

After the movie, you are correct that Syfy will not have buffered and you can't rewind from before your playback ended... BUT if you swap to tuner 2 you will find you can go back in the buffer there.

I use this "trick" all the time if I want to watch something on DVR before watching a show that is coming on soon... I'll put the "other" tuner on that channel and then swap back before watching my DVR event.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

I use this "trick" all the time if I want to watch something on DVR before watching a show that is coming on soon... I'll put the "other" tuner on that channel and then swap back before watching my DVR event.

My trick if I know something is coming is to set a timer.

Where the "buffer when watching something else" would come in handy is in those times where you come out of a DVR playback and find yourself in a show worth rewinding and watching. Something you didn't know was good enough to watch until you missed part of it.

#28 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Added two more things:

Live buffer is captured on the other tuner. If you want to watch a recording, and have a show be buffered, always swap tuners, than start the recording. After the show, swap back and the show is buffered upto 60 minutes.

#29 OFFLINE   labmansid

labmansid

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

Pretty good roundup of the differences between the two systems. I too recently switched from the HRxx series to Dish and the 922. One other difference to note, which I suppose would be a pro for the HRxx, is while watching "The Weather Channel" when the "Local on the 8s" would come on, your local conditions/forecast/radar would show, rather than the generic national broadcast.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:38 PM

A currently missing feature from the 922 that is on other ViP series Dish receivers... are the "TV enhancements". On other Dish receivers there are popups sometimes, like when watching the Weather channel, that allow you to click and go run an app that does something relevant.

I keep wondering when the 922 will see those features.

spam firewall