Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kingdome & Dish - Only get Satellite 129

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

Facts:

Kingdome in motion 9762-LP
Dish Network VIP211
Installed in Motorhome
Kingdome set to Dish 110-119
Currently get HD Channels and local digital (Satellite 129) but not Standard Dish (Satellite 110-119)
I at one time got standard and HD channels

I've gone from bad to worse, spent 10+ hours on phone calls, Internet, trying ****, and two tech visits. I've learned that Dish hires idiots, and Kingdome says they'll have some one call in a couple of hours.

I went from getting both Standard Channels and HD Channels to just standard. After jacking around with the Kingdome (setting to Dish 129) I got only HD channels. I changed it back to Dish 110-119 and still only get HD and Digital local.

The display on the Kingdome says:

Run: Lock Verify (I can't find reference to the Verify part in the manuals or Internet)
DISH 110/119 (which flashes to) Now On? ==> (which Flashes to) ALL REGIONS

I've changed regions to my region - no help
I've changed satellite to just 110 -- no help

On the Dish receiver I've done the 6 1 1 (point satellite) a dozen times and still only come up with 129 and not 110 and 119

I've moved the motorhome into wide open area -- so that's not the deal.

I feel like it has something to do with the Kingdome not properly setting itself up to point at 110 and 119.

Dish says they can give me numbers of places like Camping World who I can pay to figure out. Kingdome's tech support is a leave your name and number and we'll call back withing two hours.

I long ago figured out that you need to learn how to fix your own stuff when you have a motorhome -- so if anyone has had this issue, or deals with this in the their job -- please roll me a bone and let me in on the secret.

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Dish isn't going to be able to provide support for your Kingdome because they don't make it and have no control over how it works. They are a specialty item that has to be supported by the manufacturer (Kingdome) or their retailers (Camping World).

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality.

#3 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

I feel your pain. I've struggled long and hard with my 9762-LP and finally gave up. I now have a Winegard Trav'ler SK-1000 and have had zero issues (other than trees blocking the view sometimes. :rolleyes:)

I didn't have much luck getting the King Controls folks on the phone. I had better luck using their forum when it was first set up, but it seems pretty dead now: http://kingdome.10.forumer.com/ I went and looked, and the topic I had created way back in May 2008 is no longer there.

I had tried everything to get it to work. Multiple check switch operations, different receivers, etc. I never could get a check switch test to successfully complete, it seemed that the response time of the dome to switch satellites was much slower than the test procedure allowed. The receiver would give the command to switch satellites, and by the time the dome found the new bird, the satellite was several tests past that point.

I finally got lucky, and a new receiver out of the box happened to be set up with the proper switch type (SW64, if I recall correctly) so I didn't need to run the check switch operation to get it to work. And it did work well, for a couple weeks, then started acting up. I was getting Lock Verify errors, and it just didn't seem to be able to find the satellites any more. During many emails and forum postings back and forth with the King Controls tech support people, I replaced the LNB and some electronics under the dome, I upgraded the software in the control box, and did many other debugging steps. I finally got it to the point where it would find the satellites, but it was not switching properly as I changed channels. At that point, they realized I was using a dual tuner receiver (not your problem) and they said they do strange things and are not supported, and the help stopped.

On the Dish receiver I've done the 6 1 1 (point satellite) a dozen times and still only come up with 129 and not 110 and 119

Have you successfully done the "Check Switch" test, or just gone to the Point Dish screen? What are the results of the Check Switch? It should be similar to the following, except that you shouldn't have the second satellite input since you only have a dual tuner receiver:

Posted Image
(This is the picture I sent to the tech support guy after which he realized I had a dual tuner and he stopped helping me.)

This is with the dome set to "Dish 1000A" mode (110/119/61.5) which simulates a Dish 500 with wing dish, like I have at home. In "Dish 1000" mode you should get 110/119/129. Maybe you should try one of those dish modes?

The best luck I had with the dome was to follow the steps they outline for the portable VuQube: disconnect the satellite input, run a check switch, and save the results even though it complains a couple times about seeing less satellites than before, and that it may affect operation. Then, reconnect the input cable. Then, to use the dome/receiver, manually command the dome to the desired satellite, and press and hold the receiver button until it resets. This will cause it to rescan for the currently active satellite, and download a program guide for the correct bird. You can then watch any channel on that one satellite. To watch a channel on a different satellite, manually command the dish to the new satellite, press and hold the receiver power button to restart, and once it downloads the new program guide you can watch any of those channels. It's far from ideal, and takes a long time to switch satellites, but at least it works. Using that method, I was able to at least watch something when nothing else would work.

Good luck with your dome. I hope you have better luck than I did. I wish I didn't wait so long before going with the Winegard Trav'ler -- it might not look as sleek as the dome, and it doesn't work in motion, but when parked it works so much better than the dome: much less rain fade, no satellite switching issues, and supports more than one tuner without restrictions.

Dish isn't going to be able to provide support for your Kingdome because they don't make it and have no control over how it works. They are a specialty item that has to be supported by the manufacturer (Kingdome) or their retailers (Camping World).

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the reality.

Very true. Trying to get Dish to support it is a dead end. If the receiver works with one of their own dishes, then that's the end of their responsibility (and rightfully so, in my opinion.)

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...