Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No NFL 2011/2012

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

It would appear that the NFL players association is getting ready to vote and fire the Union. The reason being is that the owners are wanting a bigger cut of the revenues and the players do not want to take a pay cut. As it stands now with the union in place the players are not allowed to sue the owners. If the union is out of the way, then the players can sue the owners. Also take note that the real reason the owners are pushing for a 18 game season is for more revenue funds. If the players vote out the union and are able to sue, then there could be a lock out for the 2011/2012 season.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

Good, more college games to watch...real football.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

.. Also take note that the real reason the owners are pushing for a 18 game season is for more revenue funds.

Umm... yah... what do you think it was for? More competition?

Based on the hundreds of articles out there on the topic... there is so much more to this then just one issue, but money is certainly the largest of them.

From this article: http://sports.yahoo....lug=ap-nfllabor

"The players currently get 59.6 percent of designated NFL revenues, a number agreed to in the 2006 CBA. The owners say that’s too much, arguing that they have huge debts for building stadiums and starting up the NFL Network and other ventures, making it impossible to be profitable.

The NFL generates nearly $8 billion in revenues annually, with about $1 billion going to operating expenses. The owners get about 40 percent of the rest, but they want about $1.3 billion more before the players get their cut, and they’d like two more regular-season games to get more money out of the networks for everyone.
"

So there is no doubt that $$$ is probably the largest issue here.
And obviously, ultimately what ever works out... won't be good for any of us as fans. I haven't been to a pro-football game in about 3 years, and that last visit was on a half-price ticket... and even that was $$$.

Mix in the home experience watching games, going to see a game is the lowest on my list of options. Just not worth it. I would rather attend a college game, then a pro-game.

But also mix in the DL vs IR discussions, some of the health concerns.
It is a big big deal... that will dramatically impact the 18 vs 16 discussions.

Bottom line... I hope the Owners, the Union, and the Players are looking at the bigger picture....

People LOVE NFL football... love it. But... every day we get reminded how much these players get for playing a game, and how much these owners make on the teams....

This MONSTER statdiums were a BAD idea by the owners. Especially the ones that are dedicated for football... BAD BAD... and that is really impacting things.

The Dallas stadium is the glimmering example of it. That massive stadium wasn't necessary... A new one maybe, but it didn't have to be that.

Look at the Giants and Jets... I think they have it right... share a stadium. Flip/Flop weekends... keep the building and it's staff working for 16+ weekends, instead of half of that...

This is going to be an ugly ugly mess comes this summer.

And honestly, if the players start to sue the owners... NFL football as we know it, is over.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

But the Jets and Giants funded their stadium off of the backs of their fans (which is better than off the taxpayers) and have absolutely ridiculous personal seat license (PSL) and have jacked up their seat prices.

Which is resulting in less than sold out stadiums.

I gave up my season tickets (which we've had since 1967) as I refused to pay an exhorbitant PSL and ticket prices....

There is definitely something wrong in the mix here.

#5 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Looks like the "Golden Goose" is heading for the saluter house :lol:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'll be very surprised if there is a lockout.

The NFL did have a replacement players season some years back... and the NBA had a mini-season one year not so long back... but I think the NHL proved to everyone just what is at risk when you lockout for a season. The NHL has not been the same since sitting out an entire season and finding out that even their biggest fans barely noticed.

The NFL does not want to have a missed season... and ultimately neither do the players for the same reason. It's also about the money for the players too... and while I'm usually for players getting the lionshare of the money since they are who make the sport work... they too have to be realistic about their own value and realize in this economy that people will choose food over football if it comes to that... and if the NFL misses part or all of a season, they just help fans find something else to do and need the league less.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,180 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 AM

Looks like the "Golden Goose" is heading for the saluter house :lol:

WTF? Is that supposed to say "slaughter"?:D:lol:

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,355 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

The recent Supreme Court ruling this summer that dealt with the NFL and individual team's licensing rights has a major impact upon the players' future actions. Not many realize this. Time will tell more, of course.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#9 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

All the players can see right now is there ability to sue the owners. Under the current system set up I believe in 2006 or 2007 or there abouts. With the players union signing off on that agreement. The players were not allowed to sue the owners for any reason. Now there are at least four teams of players and growing daily that want to change this. The only way at the current time is to vote out the union. Also they would like to have the vote in before next summer. They do not want to have to look for the players from all the teams during the off season to get the votes. Since they are into the active season, they are trying to do it as soon as possible.

#10 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I personally find it very hard to root for millionaire players fighting with billionaire owners...

#11 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,370 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

But the Jets and Giants funded their stadium off of the backs of their fans (which is better than off the taxpayers) and have absolutely ridiculous personal seat license (PSL) and have jacked up their seat prices.

Which is resulting in less than sold out stadiums.

I gave up my season tickets (which we've had since 1967) as I refused to pay an exhorbitant PSL and ticket prices....

There is definitely something wrong in the mix here.

I also gave up my season tickets which were my father's then mine which I had for 49 years

Edited by JACKIEGAGA, 23 January 2011 - 07:17 PM.

JACK,

#12 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

Good, more college games to watch...real football.

:rolleyes: Puhlease. "Real" football determines a National Champion by head-to-head playoffs and doesn't leave it up to computers.

I personally find it very hard to root for millionaire players fighting with billionaire owners...

I can see it more from the players' side though. No one wants to work more and get paid less. It's unimaginable that an entity that makes money hand over fist couldn't get this resolved before a lockout. In this economy it's impossible to sympathize when an industry that's recession-proof walks away.

I've scaled my programming down to Choice Select, partly because the RSNs aren't that important to me. When it's all said and done, the NFL is my only "must see" Sport, but if they lock out I'm prepared to walk away too. Maybe do without pay TV entirely.

One last thing, "saluter" house:
http://cache.boston....543728_3657.jpg

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

I can see it more from the players' side though. No one wants to work more and get paid less. It's unimaginable that an entity that makes money hand over fist couldn't get this resolved before a lockout. In this economy it's impossible to sympathize when an industry that's recession-proof walks away.

The thing is, generally speaking, only the "rookies" are likely to be being paid less--when compared to other rookie classes.

The amount of money given to players next year will still go up--just less than it would have gone otherwise.

And 18 games means a bigger TV pie of money to split for everyone.

I do understand the concern for injuries. I'd like to see the rosters enlarged to 60 plus 10 on the practice squad. They don't even have to increase the game-day number.

Lastly, thinking out loud for a moment, maybe something like a 4 game disabled list should be created, much like the physically unable to perform list, that can be applied even in mid-season.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!!! :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

The amount of money given to players next year will still go up--just less than it would have gone otherwise.

Not that our income is on a parallel with the pro athlete, but wouldn't you have an issue if your employer conveyed that message to you? And when you ask where the money that would have gone to you is now being directed and you're told the owners, would that lessen the blow?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Not that our income is on a parallel with the pro athlete, but wouldn't you have an issue if your employer conveyed that message to you? And when you ask where the money that would have gone to you is now being directed and you're told the owners, would that lessen the blow?

I was just grateful that my income went up. And that I had some control of how my income improved year to year, ie. my own contributions would get me a promotion.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#16 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Although I think both sides should just sit down and work it out, if an 18 game schedule is on the table, then the players deserve more money. I like the 16 game schedule.

#17 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

LOL. I'm doing more work for less money today. Got a pay cut 2 years ago, and haven't received a raise in 3 years. Its happening everywhere. We're in a recession. And these guys want more money on top of what they're already receiving now? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

They should be grateful for what they have. If they do strike I'll be done watching football for good.

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

LOL. I'm doing more work for less money today. Got a pay cut 2 years ago, and haven't received a raise in 3 years. Its happening everywhere. We're in a recession. And these guys want more money on top of what they're already receiving now? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

They should be grateful for what they have. If they do strike I'll be done watching football for good.

This is why I no longer watch much sports. I use to be an avid fan of both Baseball and Football and then came the lock-out's and strikes and so on and that was it for me Today, I do not think I have actually watched an entire game in either sport in at least 20 years. I might flip by and catch a few minutes but for the most part I no longer care.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Congress should pass a law making it a felony with an ten year automatic prison sentence for anybody who is found making an owner of a football team pay these outrages rookies salaries. This of course does not applied to the Oakland Raiders.:)

#20 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps you should look at the life expectancy rate for pro football players. Very short. The quality of life for all pro athletes is not good. The number of players with mega dollar contracts are small. Most only last for a couple of years and have to live with injuries the rest of their lives.

I'm tired of guys that whine about athletes making too much money. Sounds more like envy to me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...