Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Response from dish on local Weather Channel 213 service.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:17 AM

Here is an email received from ceo@echostar.com asking when the local Weather Channel 213 will start.

Good Day Mr. Hevener,

Thank you for contacting DISH Network with your question. As part of our discussions with The Weather Channel, we expressed our customer's interest in the option of having more local-focused weather as a counterpart to their current programming line up which has grown to include weather specials and historical weather event programs. As of today, we do not have any additional information on the timeline for the local weather options for Channel 213. However, we value your question and will be submitting it to Charlie Chat as we are sure other customers also have the same request for additional information on this subject.

Thank you,

Melanie ********
Executive Communications
10:30 AM - 7 PM MST Sunday
12:30 PM - 9 PM MST Monday - Thursday
Dish Network LLC.

Edited by James Long, 21 September 2010 - 12:21 PM.
Redacted employee's last name for privacy

AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:09 AM

AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM.

You forgot the time hack every hour on the hour.

#3 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

Who needs the weather channel. Get free local weather from link below

http://www.ambientwe...eedownload.html

#4 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:16 AM

Who needs the weather channel. Get free local weather from link below

http://www.ambientwe...eedownload.html

That's great for me but how about the rest of my family that aren't computer users?
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#5 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

That's great for me but how about the rest of my family that aren't computer users?

Tell them to press the Dish Home button on the remote control,select Yes to load interactive,select News button on the bottom of Interactive,select TWC Weather.:)

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Tell them to press the Dish Home button on the remote control,select Yes to load interactive,select News button on the bottom of Interactive,select TWC Weather.:)

And wait 5 minutes for it to load.

Well, it's not that bad, but it is a little clunky.

Edited by Jim5506, 21 September 2010 - 04:17 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:40 AM

The radar image is so small you can almost tell it's there. How about a full screen radar image. :mad:

#8 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

Just get your weather from AccuWeather.Com or Weather.Com. Bonus is they don't disappear during storms just when you most need them.

#9 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

Just get your weather from AccuWeather.Com or Weather.Com. Bonus is they don't disappear during storms just when you most need them.

Or, just go to NOAA's National Weather Service on your computer. No ads or animated crap at all. Strictly weather customised to your location by entering your zip code / city, state. Simple 7 day forecast with radar and even hour by hour forecast graphic. Fast if you just want to know if its going to rain today or on the weekend. But also full of detail if you want to know more of what mother nature has in store.
No rain fade or loss of signal during heavy weather is an added bonus.
Dish Home weather is local but radar screen is tiny and forecast lacks detail.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,300 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:53 AM

A channel would be nice ... not only because it was promised but because of it would be convenient and would provide something nationally that other providers don't. Weather on the 8's would be a step in the right direction (and match cable's offering) but would require more work to be done by the receiver to make it work for every different area of the country. DISH promised a better version of that years ago (with alerts on any channel) but failed to deliver. The version available via DISH Home only works via DISH Home or the SD version of the channel ... DISH needs to develop a HD version. (Kinda sad that they got the SD local weather overlay application on channel 214 working just before adding the HD channel 214 - which made watching SD 214 less likely.)

Barring replacement or serious software work on all DISH receivers still in service to provide a full screen "Weather on the 8's" separate regional 213's solve the problem. Delivering via their system the weather they promised to deliver. Sure, we can go to other sources but we're not paying DISH to be told to go elsewhere. We're paying DISH to deliver on their promises.

The least they could do is make channel 213 direct access to the SD TWC application ... so people don't have to go through the DISH Home menu or the SD 214 to get localized weather. This could be done at no cost. Just mirror the current ITV TWC application channel (channel 19075) to 213. The second least would be to produce a new application that was full screen including the same data but larger maps.

I was looking forward to seeing how DISH was going to pull off their promise of live video feed on channel 213 (live on satellite) and make it regionally different but on the same channel number. I like technology and was looking forward to seeing how they solved the problem. But it appears that DISH is simply going to fail at this challenge and the promise of channel channel 213 will simply fade away along with the promise of "any channel" severe weather alerts.

I hope DISH can rise to the challenge instead of slinking away.

#11 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

And wait 5 minutes for it to load.

Well, it's not that bad, but it is a little clunky.

It loads alot faster than that on my 625.:)

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

The radar image is so small you can almost tell it's there. How about a full screen radar image. :mad:

It is?..Oh wait a minute that's on my 50" screen..sorry.:o

#13 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

It is?..Oh wait a minute that's on my 50" screen..sorry.:o

My little 12" set must be the problem. :) I hope Charlie brings up the Channel 213 service in the next Charlie Chat per the email from Dish.

#14 OFFLINE   mrc54

mrc54

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Internet weather is the best, but in heavy storms, internet can go out. This Summer it happened, had to use local channels that went full time with radar. The sub channels also broadcast weather full time.

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Internet weather is the best, but in heavy storms, internet can go out. This Summer it happened, had to use local channels that went full time with radar. The sub channels also broadcast weather full time.

You need a different ISP.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#16 OFFLINE   mrc54

mrc54

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

You need a different ISP.

Look at my location, there are only two and they are both terrible !!

spam firewall