Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4 2010 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4033 replies to this topic

#2161 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

Shorts HD only have 30 minutes films & most have subtitles.

Point being?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2162 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I followed suit, asking for AMC-HD, IFC-HD and Sundance HD (in 3 separate submissions).

If a significant number of people do that, Rainbow will use it as leverage to demand a higher rate. If they think that people are willing to leave D* to get their programming, they will hold their ground.

The only way to get to them is to tell them that you refuse to switch, you refuse to watch in sd, and you refuse to purchase on disk or download until they offer it in HD on D*. No HD, no business!

#2163 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

But not all of it, and I must of caught a newer show, because it was in full quality.

That's good to hear!

#2164 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

If a significant number of people do that, Rainbow will use it as leverage to demand a higher rate. If they think that people are willing to leave D* to get their programming, they will hold their ground.

The only way to get to them is to tell them that you refuse to switch, you refuse to watch in sd, and you refuse to purchase on disk or download until they offer it in HD on D*. No HD, no business!

I pretty much said that it's unbearable to watch in the poor DirecTV's SD quality and if it was offered in HD more people would watch legally, rather being forced to download illegal rips of Rainbow-Media owned copies from Internet sites. HD will provide a better quality experience that enhances brand perception, increase revenue from ads, increase ratings and total viewership numbers while combating piracy. Many people are locked into contracts with DirecTV and cannot switch without facing a huge ETF penalty.

I also made similar comments to Fuse.tv and E! As our household would love to see those channels in HD. I'll see if Scripps Networks has a contact too, as I want DIY in HD.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#2165 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

... The only way to get to them is to tell them that you refuse to switch, you refuse to watch in sd, and you refuse to purchase on disk or download until they offer it in HD on D*. No HD, no business!

I told them, for each of 3 channels, that I have not ever watched any of their offerings in fuzzyvision, and that I don't watch SD anymore.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#2166 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

btw, for people who have been having slow channel changing issues/slow remote response, etc., I just noticed that D* just had an update to the DVR software. My update took place on 11/3. These types of issues seem to follow updates, and are usually fixed rather quickly (within a month). What was strange, was I was having these issues just prior to the update as well, which I haven't noticed in the past.

Thanks. I noticed over the past few days that mine was particularly unresponsive when I enter channel numbers.

#2167 OFFLINE   Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. I noticed over the past few days that mine was particularly unresponsive when I enter channel numbers.

Agreed. Thanks for the heads up, studdad! :D

#2168 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:01 PM

The cable provider in my area is launching new HD channels this week. I only get Internet and Phone through them, but I do get a few ClearQAM channels, including their bulletin board channel. Their BB channel said these channels will be added this week:
In Demand Game HD, In Demand Game HD2, WPPX (Ion), Lifetime Movie, BET, Fox Soccer, Reelz Channel, Sprout, GSN, Ovation, NASA, TBN.

Last month during the week of October 11, they also did a set of HD channels like that. It seems once a month they are adding 5 to 10 HD channels. That's pretty darn awesome.

I didn't even know there was an HD Version of Reelz, Sprout, Ovation, Nasa and TBN!

I was at my Dad's house yesterday and he has the same cable company. I checked some of the HD channels like DIY Network, The Hub HD, SWRV HD(Music Choice) and a few others that we don't get on DirecTV, and they were all showing native crystal clear 16:9 content. I would of thought DIY would of had some "Stretch-o-vision" stuff, but no, it was just as clear as HGTV. The C-SPAN HD's were 4:3 with blue C-SPAN branded pillar-bars.

I just couldn't stand their slow Motorola HD set top. They have great content, which is king, but the software is so horrible, especially with a big honkin' banner ad at the bottom of the screen. Plus you have to remember 2 sets of channel numbers (HD starts at 500 and goes to 699).

If only we could get a huge HD channel expantion with DirecTV, we would have the perfect provider. D*'s software and equipment destroys anything that cable has... just the content is not up to par. I would subscribe to this cable co, but I can't afford to pay two providers for the package level I need. I have a friend who works for them, so maybe he can get me a box registered on his account that I can plug in. I'll pay him for the box. Just have to swap that filter out in the box for a different one.

The DVR/receiver from U-verse was Motorola and it was HORID. AT&T U-verse simply sucks!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#2169 OFFLINE   ddebrunner

ddebrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Finally found some rating figures for BBC America:

153,000 average primetime viewers for week of Oct 17.
295,000 peak (TopGear).

So if those were all on Directv that would be 0.8-1.6% of its subscriber base, but in reality it's probably more like 0.16-0.32%. Any wonder there's no real rush to have BBC America in HD!

http://discussions.b...=16094&tstart=0

#2170 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

"The Walking Dead" is one fire ratings wise and you'd have to peel me off the floor if D* gets that channel in HD in the next 6 months. I seriously doubt that they will even have it for the next season of Mad Men come August 2011.

#2171 OFFLINE   ruthiesea

ruthiesea

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

Finally found some rating figures for BBC America:

153,000 average primetime viewers for week of Oct 17.
295,000 peak (TopGear).

So if those were all on Directv that would be 0.8-1.6% of its subscriber base, but in reality it's probably more like 0.16-0.32%. Any wonder there's no real rush to have BBC America in HD!

http://discussions.b...=16094&tstart=0

I know that if we got BBC in HD that number would be at least one viewer higher.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Robert J. Hanlon

#2172 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

^ Unfortunately, it's called BROADcasting for a reason.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2173 OFFLINE   juventuz

juventuz

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

I know that if we got BBC in HD that number would be at least one viewer higher.

I recently switched to TWC for the majority of my tv programming (keeping D* for a couple channels) and I get BBCA HD and have watched more of it in the past two weeks than since the channel was launched. Law & Order UK, Luther and Top Gear look great in HD.

#2174 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

^ Unfortunately, it's called BROADcasting for a reason.

I thought that was in Reference to The Playboy Channel!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#2175 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

So...any need to set up the Festivus pole for this Wednesday???
:scratch:

#2176 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Add me to that list.

#2177 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

Yes, ALL shopping channels will be in HD!:P

#2178 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 910 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Anyone try hitting up the content owners from their side of things? I have sent countless e-mails to DirecTV, and spoke with them on the phone to add channels in HD. But I came across a Contact Us link on Rainbow-Media's website. I filled it out and urged them to get an agreement with DirecTV to offer AMC in HD, as well as other Rainbow Media owned networks.

Here is a link to their Contact Us page. I urge anyone who wants AMC in HD to at least fill it out and send them something.

http://www.rainbow-m...com/contact.jsp

I'll see if there are any other contacts for the other networks.

Did it. Thanks. :)

#2179 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

The Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook not so good".

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#2180 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

AMC Renews "Walking Dead" for season 2
http://www.deadline....d-for-season-2/

And yet DirecTV STILL does not see the value of this popular series enough to carry it in HD.

HD Leader my ass.

spam firewall