Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722 issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

I walked in the house after work today to find my VIP722 locked up and the fan blowing at high speed. I waited for about 5 minutes thinking that it might be a software update but it didn't come up. I tried the reset by keeping the power button pressed down but it didn't seem to do anything. No video, no menus, lighted on the front cycled from none to 1 green light on the TV1 left LED. I eventually unplugged it and reset it that way but nothing changed. Sometime later I unplugged it and kept it unplugged for 5 minutes. The unit then came up after what seemed like an extended amount of time.

This is the first problem I've had with the receiver. Is this a common problem? Is the receiver going bad? I've only had this for about 2 months.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,866 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

I have to ask the dreaded question...

Is it installed in a location without proper ventilation? These newer receivers generate a lot of heat, and a very loud fan is typically the first sign of overheating causing the receiver to crank up its cooling process... and if that still is too hot, you get behavior similar to what you are describing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

It's in an open TV stand (both front and back) and the box has 9 inches open space above and around it. It doesn't appear to be overheating in any way. Temp stats in Diagnostics for HD is 96 low, 116 ave, 127 high. Kind of expected the fan to kick on like it did when it was locked up if it were having heat issues but have never heard it except that one time.

No repeats of that incident yet.

I have to ask the dreaded question...

Is it installed in a location without proper ventilation? These newer receivers generate a lot of heat, and a very loud fan is typically the first sign of overheating causing the receiver to crank up its cooling process... and if that still is too hot, you get behavior similar to what you are describing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...