Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stuttering cause

switching

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjreaves53

mjreaves53

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Here is the setup;
1 - HR21-700
2 - HR21-100
1 - HR24-500
SWIM 8, DECA and Internet connection by a wireless game adapter connected to the HR21-700.

I know this is not the correct way to connect the internet to the system, but it works.

My problem is I have stuttering, on the HR21-700, on anything I record from satellite or pause. I do not have stuttering on anything I download via On Demand from the internet. If I watch content from the HR21-700 to any other receiver I have stuttering. I do not have stuttering of any thing I have recorded on the HR24-500. Could the gaming adapter being connected to the HR21-700 be causing the stuttering problem?

Yes I have rebooted the system, reinstalled the software and done a hard drive scan. All to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Michael
HR22-100
HR24-500
H21-100 (2)
SWIM & DECA
Wireless DOD
Directv2Pc
Hitachi 42" Plasma
Toshiba DVD Recorder
JVC/Bose Surround Sound

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Here is the setup;
1 - HR21-700
2 - HR21-100
1 - HR24-500
SWIM 8, DECA and Internet connection by a wireless game adapter connected to the HR21-700.

I know this is not the correct way to connect the internet to the system, but it works.

My problem is I have stuttering, on the HR21-700, on anything I record from satellite or pause. I do not have stuttering on anything I download via On Demand from the internet. If I watch content from the HR21-700 to any other receiver I have stuttering. I do not have stuttering of any thing I have recorded on the HR24-500. Could the gaming adapter being connected to the HR21-700 be causing the stuttering problem?

Yes I have rebooted the system, reinstalled the software and done a hard drive scan. All to no avail.

It certainly could be part of the problem...some of the ways these boxes can connect doesn't mean they should be connected that way. It causes all sorts of issues with some of the different ways these things get connected.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Here is the setup;
1 - HR21-700
2 - HR21-100
1 - HR24-500

Had the same problem. Bad DECA module. Replaced it and the stuttering went away immediately and all recordings played correctly.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   mjreaves53

mjreaves53

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

Had a Directv Tech install a new receiver on Wed. It was a HR22-100 not a HR24 as I had hopped. Where can I find the specs on the HR22-100? I would like to know what the difference is between the HR21 and the HR22.

One minor disappointment, the tech was supposed to connect my internet to my swim, but said it wasn't on his order. He was correct, it was not on his work order, the CSR dropped the ball on adding it to his order.

At least it seems I can record shows to watch latter with out the stutters.
Michael
HR22-100
HR24-500
H21-100 (2)
SWIM & DECA
Wireless DOD
Directv2Pc
Hitachi 42" Plasma
Toshiba DVD Recorder
JVC/Bose Surround Sound

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Had a Directv Tech install a new receiver on Wed. It was a HR22-100 not a HR24 as I had hopped. Where can I find the specs on the HR22-100? I would like to know what the difference is between the HR21 and the HR22.

One minor disappointment, the tech was supposed to connect my internet to my swim, but said it wasn't on his order. He was correct, it was not on his work order, the CSR dropped the ball on adding it to his order.

At least it seems I can record shows to watch latter with out the stutters.

The 22-100 is a 21-100 with a larger internal drive. "Minor disappointment?" Mike Greer is available for a critique anytime you PM him. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to share his thoughts on the 22-100 with you.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

I run into stutter about once every 1-2 weeks, when watching MRV from the HR22, on the HR24. When I reset both, it goes away for another 1-2 weeks.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

I run into stutter about once every 1-2 weeks, when watching MRV from the HR22, on the HR24. When I reset both, it goes away for another 1-2 weeks.

Ever consider that the DECA module on the 22 is bad? I had massive stuttering on one 20-700 that I knew wasn't caused by the HDD and figured the module was bad. And it was. Changed it to another one and the stuttering stopped completely.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

Well, I thought that, but I watch 15-20 shows/week, and it only starts stuttering every 1-2 weeks, then its fixed by a re-boot. I've seen this since the newest NR, and did not have the issue when it was first installed. I'm assuming it's SW related.

If it gets worse, Ill call them (have the Prot Plan).
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#9 OFFLINE   Sully

Sully

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDecorah, IA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I just started noticing some stuttering on one of my units today (an HR21-700). At first, I thought it was a bad DECA module (since I noticed the stuttering while watching a show from a different DVR), but then noticed it again when my daughter was watching a show recorded locally. Is it a bad unit?

By the way, this same unit rebooted in the middle of a show I was streaming from another DVR last night! Another clue that the unit is going bad?!?!

HR23, HR24, HR34

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Rebooting spontaneously is an indication of less likelihood of it being a DECA problem. It still could be, but there are other things that can cause this, such as a failing HDD or a failing power supply. Either of those can also cause rebooting.

When there are numerous possibilities, the thing to do is to try the least-invasive fixes first, which would be in this case replacing the DECA module. Anything else is probably going to mean a DVR replacement anyway.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:59 AM

Rebooting spontaneously is an indication of less likelihood of it being a DECA problem. It still could be, but there are other things that can cause this, such as a failing HDD or a failing power supply. Either of those can also cause rebooting.

When there are numerous possibilities, the thing to do is to try the least-invasive fixes first, which would be in this case replacing the DECA module. Anything else is probably going to mean a DVR replacement anyway.

I tried to get a DECA module a couple weeks ago and they wouldn't send me one. They insisted that a "tech" be sent out and then escalated the issue to the Case Management Group who sent out a truck right away. While I had them on the phone, I told them about an HR that I was having problems with and the CMG guy told me he'd send a replacement on the truck. Got the DECA module and solved that problem and got a 24-200 (brand new) as a replacement. Whole thing made me happy. Point is, the PP folks told me that DECA modules going bad would trigger a truck to roll and that they wouldn't be sent by mail anymore.

Can't help but wonder if calling another call center would have resulted in a DECA module being shipped, but I called two centers and they both told me the same thing.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

I just started noticing some stuttering on one of my units today (an HR21-700). At first, I thought it was a bad DECA module (since I noticed the stuttering while watching a show from a different DVR), but then noticed it again when my daughter was watching a show recorded locally. Is it a bad unit?

By the way, this same unit rebooted in the middle of a show I was streaming from another DVR last night! Another clue that the unit is going bad?!?!

On my HR21-700 this was the precursor to my disk going south. I had an external drive in an MX1 enclosure that finally gave up the ghost a couple weeks later. New drive installed and all is well. Not sure if you've got an external drive and not sure if the internal will produce the same effects!

For me - No DECA, internet connected, no MRV

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: switching

Protected By... spam firewall...And...