Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

difference between 2 WD eSTATA drives: My Book AV vs My DVR Expander

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Decolliber

Decolliber

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I have a WD 1TB eSATA drive (My DVR Expander WDG1S10000) connected to an HR21 and it has worked fine for over a year, except for slowing down a lot as the drive fills up.
I just acquired an HR24, and when I checked WD web page, they now have a new drive called My Book AV (WDBABT10010HBK), which they claim is HR 20-23 compatible (and I assume HR24). The WD web site gives no technical info about how they differ, other than that the newer My Book has a USB port (that I do not need), and "Silkstream technology" (=???) for "smoother" recording and playback, but I have no idea whether that has any significance for DTV customers.

Since I know that the older My DVR works with HR2*, that would be the safe choice, but I am wondering if the newer My Book has some technical improvements (eg, does the HD spin at a faster speed, say 10k rpm instead of 7200rpm?).

Does anyone know if these two models differ, beyond the USB port and "Silkstream"?

Has anyone tried the newer My Book on an HR24?

ps. Just noticed an Amazon customer review of the My Book AV:
"...I got approximately 60-68MB/Sec with ESATA and 27MB/Sec with USB2. It initially starts out at approximately 100+Mb/Sec ESATA and very rapidly drops to 60-68. I spoke to WD about the speed drop and they said that was normal. ..." (this customer had it connected to a "new" Toshiba laptop, not a DVR).
I would have thought that 60-68 mb/s is very slow for a SATA connection.

Edited by Decolliber, 22 September 2010 - 01:56 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

For the record, the Western Digital WD20EADS and WD20EVDS seem to work fine when enclosed in Antec MX-1s. I don't think that I have EVER seen a problem posted here with either of those combinations on any model HD-DVR.
(I have had four for over a year.)
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

I would have thought that 60-68 mb/s is very slow for a SATA connection. - that's common mistake: it's MB/s what would roughly equivalent to 600 Mbps, it would be pretty good result if you connect it to 1.5 Gbps [1500 Mbps] host. Remember it is [electro]mechanical device [HDD].

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

For the record, the Western Digital WD20EADS and WD20EVDS seem to work fine when enclosed in Antec MX-1s. I don't think that I have EVER seen a problem posted here with either of those combinations on any model HD-DVR.

+1. They also seem to work well as drop-ins (internals). I would not get caught up in the minutia of these other drives; the ones oldbamaguy lists are tried and true.

HDD throughput is typically not an issue. Modern drives are pretty fast, even at 7200 RPM (which will generate less heat than 10K). WD claims that their drives can handle 12 HD streams at once (compressed, of course). A HR only accesses 3 at one time at the most (2 records + 1 playback). DoublePlay may take a bit more overhead (which is possibly why we are given the option to turn it off).

HDDs should not "slow down" as the drive fills. I have had HR drives full with no slow down. DVRs do not fragment their HDDs, and there is nothing "in play" regarding recording space you are not accessing that is empty that is different in any way to when that space is occupied. All the system knows is the sector it is reading at the time, and there is nothing different about R/W when space is nearly full on a DVR (not so on your PC). The level of background tasks may increase if you have a lot of SLs, however (which may explain the limit of 50).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   fullcourt81

fullcourt81

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Amazon has the WD20EARS, which has a 64MB cache instead of the EADS 32 MB, for less than the EADS. both are Caviar Green and identical specs
any reason to get the EADS? EARS is $20 less with free shipping

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Amazon has the WD20EARS, which has a 64MB cache instead of the EADS 32 MB, for less than the EADS. both are Caviar Green and identical specs
any reason to get the EADS? EARS is $20 less with free shipping

Just search for "EARS" here and you'll know why it's NOT recommended.

#7 OFFLINE   fullcourt81

fullcourt81

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

Well I found this post, it is pretty easy to understand. Thanks for the tip!
EADS for me.

I keep doing this, but I guess it's time again:

The WD EARS HDDs do not work with the HRs.

So far, I've seen one post about a member having an EARS work. One.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Folks report good luck with the EVDS also, which is built specifically for DVR (multimedia) use.

Specwise, the EARS seems like a good candidate. Turns out, it just isn't.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info on these 2 Hard drives. Do both of them work with the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U connected to DirecTv DVRs?

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...