Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR issues with AM21 (SideCar)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bbrookfield

bbrookfield

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSt Pete Florida

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

I have been pulling my hair out over a problem I traced back to the AM21. I have the DECA Whole home DVR setup (Was Hardwired) and was getting "Disconnected from network" error messages all the time when viewing a recording on another DVR. The problem was only occurring on my Living romm DVR. I swapped it out with my 3rd bed room dvr but the problem persisted.
What was different I asked. THE AM21!!!

I disconnected the USB cable from the AM21 and what do know, it works perfectly (4 hrs of playback no errors). Plug it back in and tried playing a recording and after 1.5 mins got the disconnect error.

WHY???

My guess is that the USB port is right next to the Ethernet Port. With the USB streaming digital data from the AM21, it may be a noise issue causing corrupt packets on the Ethernet side (Just a Guess). I am going to try using the FRONT PANEL USB and see if the problems persist. and will update my post one way or the other.

Just wanted to let the community know of another possible cause of flaky Whole Home Dvr use.

Update: Using the FRONT USB port appears to have solved the problem. I have played back 2 recordings with no Disconnect errors while leaving the DVR tuned to a HD OTA channel.

Edited by bbrookfield, 22 September 2010 - 06:45 PM.
More information

SETUP:
HR21-200 
HR21-700 

HR44-500
SWM-16
SLIMLINE DISH
ROKU 3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Veally veally interesting!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   ChicagoTC

ChicagoTC

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Good info!
Tom

#4 OFFLINE   Ken O'Dea

Ken O'Dea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Have same problem. I'll pull the AM21 and hopefully get the same result.

Good info!

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

I have two AM21s and no MRV problems at all (DECA based). Both are plugged in the rear (one on an HR21-100 and the other on an H21-200)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   bbrookfield

bbrookfield

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSt Pete Florida

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

I my case it was very repeatable. So my assumption of the USB and Ethernet ports being so close seemed reasonable. If could just as likely be a poorly shielded USB cable or a maybe the USB cable was too close to the Ethernet cable. All I know is the moving it to the Front USB port solved my problem.

SETUP:
HR21-200 
HR21-700 

HR44-500
SWM-16
SLIMLINE DISH
ROKU 3

Protected By... spam firewall...And...