Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ROKU introduces new line of HD streaming players

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1285212028

ROKU INTRODUCES NEW LINE OF HD STREAMING PLAYERS STARTING AT $59.99

New XD and XDS models feature 1080p HD, Wireless-N, and Instant Replay

Saratoga, Calif. – September 23, 2010 – Roku, Inc., maker of the best-selling and award-win- ning Roku streaming player, introduced today its new product lineup, featuring improved per- formance and the lowest prices in the industry. With up to 1080p HD streaming support and Instant Replay, the new players are shipping immediately at prices starting from just $59.99. All models feature high-definition playback as well as support for older, standard definition TVs.

There are three new Roku models: the entry-level Roku HD at $59.99; the Roku XD with Wireless-N and 1080p, and the top-of-the-line Roku XDS, which adds dual-band wireless technology and extensive connectivity options for home entertainment systems.

All Roku players will continue to deliver the largest collection of streaming entertainment available for the TV, including over 100,000 movies and TV shows from Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) and Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) Video On Demand; live and on-demand sports from MLB.TV; music from Pandora, MP3tunes, MOG, and RadioTime; photo and video sharing from Flickr and Facebook; plus news and entertainment from thousands of sources around the world.

“We’re committed to delivering the best entertainment experience at the lowest price in the industry,” said Anthony Wood, founder and CEO of Roku, Inc. “Customers can now buy an HD-capable Roku player with wireless for 40% less than the price of our original $100 Roku HD player. Or, think of it this way: for around the price of two Blu-ray Discs, a Roku player brings you access to limitless instant streaming entertainment choices available today and in the future. It’s perfect for anyone who wants the most choice and control over their entertain- ment.”

The new $59.99 Roku HD streams video in high-definition at up to 720p, and features built- in wireless and Ethernet for easy broadband connectivity anywhere in the home. The smaller, sleeker Roku HD is only 1 inch tall and less than 5 inches wide, so it fits anywhere and is tiny enough to take on a trip. Composite A/V cables are included so that it can connect to virtu- ally any TV, including standard definition models. An HDMI port enables HD playback on HDTVs.

The new Roku XD ($79.99) and XDS ($99.99) models deliver the next level of streaming performance, with 1080p HD support (delivered over HDMI) and extended-range Wireless- N. In addition, the XDS model features dual-band Wireless-N technology, component video output, optical audio output, and a USB port. Over USB, customers will be able to play stored music, photos, and up to 1080p video using a USB player channel, available as a free upgrade to XDS owners (expected to be available in November 2010).
Both XD and XDS models also feature an industry first in streaming devices for the TV: an in- novative Instant Replay button on the remote, enabling the viewer to instantly skip back in 10 second increments without having to wait for a rebuffering delay. It’s a convenience that until now has been limited to DVRs and other hard-drive based devices.

First introduced in May 2008, the Roku player provides an easy, affordable, and reliable way for hundreds of thousands of Netflix customers to watch movies and TV shows instantly on their TV. Since the launch of the Roku Channel Store last fall, all Roku customers now have ac- cess to over 85 channels from 50 unique content services, with more added all the time.

Pricing and availability The new Roku HD is available for $59.99, while the XD and XDS models are available for $79.99 and $99.99 respectively. All three Roku players are available immediately at www.roku. com, and available for preorders at www.amazon.com.

About Roku, Inc. The market leader in streaming entertainment devices for the TV, Roku has always believed that anything you want to watch, listen to, and enjoy should simply be there on your TV, when- ever you want it. Roku streaming players are renowned for their simplicity, variety of entertain- ment choices, and exceptional value. Roku is privately held and based in Saratoga, Calif.

For more information on the company and its products, visit: http://www.roku.com.

Attached Thumbnails

• ROKU.jpg

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

Already ordered my XDS. Can't wait!

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Already ordered my XDS. Can't wait!

I've got three Roku XRs, used to be the top-of-the-line Rokus. I just got off the phone with Roku support and asked them if the XRs would be updated to support 1080p. The answer was "yes an update is being worked on and will be out shortly." Don't know about the two other older models.

I only use mine for radio stations and NetFlix streaming content and I'm wondering if NetFlix is gonna start streaming 1080i or 1080p. The tech didn't know.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Will these boxes also stream videos from a networked PC such as AVI, MKV and ISO files like the Popcorn Hour, Cinema Tube or Western Digital boxes do and I assume Google TV will do as well when it comes out?

I have a Cinema Tube media streamer box on my network and between that box and PlayOn software there is nothing (that I need) that I can't watch or access.

#5 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

I have the original Roku and the non-network WD. I was looking to update to the new WD Live HD box, but would rather have the XDS if it will play mpeg video from an external HD via the USB port as my WD does. I didn't see any specs on what formats it will be compatible with.

#6 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

I love my Roku. My kids using it this very second.

Here's a review on the new players: http://reviews.cnet....7-34182625.html

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Will these boxes also stream videos from a networked PC such as AVI, MKV and ISO files like the Popcorn Hour, Cinema Tube or Western Digital boxes do and I assume Google TV will do as well when it comes out?

I have a Cinema Tube media streamer box on my network and between that box and PlayOn software there is nothing (that I need) that I can't watch or access.

I don't think you can stream anything other than what they offer. I only use mine for NetFlix and the radio stations. As poor as the reception is on 1050 ESPN on the radio, it's a pleasure to listen to it on the Roku. Clear and strong.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

I'm wondering if NetFlix is gonna start streaming 1080i or 1080p.

This won't be happening in the near future. The bandwidth necessary just isn't available yet.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

This won't be happening in the near future. The bandwidth necessary just isn't available yet.

Figured that. Guess Roku just wanted to put out new models. Their wireless function leaves a lot to be desired. I've got all three of mine on Ethernet cables.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

Actually there is already 1080p content available. The bandwidth is there its just how much they decide to compress the data.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Actually there is already 1080p content available. The bandwidth is there its just how much they decide to compress the data.

Is that for NetFlix?

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Is that for NetFlix?

Rich

No, Netflix only has 720p for the near future.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#13 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

I don't think you can stream anything other than what they offer. I only use mine for NetFlix and the radio stations. As poor as the reception is on 1050 ESPN on the radio, it's a pleasure to listen to it on the Roku. Clear and strong.

Rich

Streaming my network contennt and web-surfing are why I'm waiting for reviews if Revue. Just a few more weeks, best I can tell.

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Well yeah but the Vimeo channel on the Netflix device does have 1080p content available to watch now.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

So the 1080p content will have to be bought. I've spoken to NetFlix folks and they think the better resolutions are coming, just don't know when.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,867 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

Well yeah but the Vimeo channel on the Netflix device does have 1080p content available to watch now.

What content does Vimeo have and does it cost much? Without the promised update, I can't get Vimeo.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Right now you can watch MPEG-4 video streaming from a USB device. More formats are slated to be available in the future along with DLNA capability.

#18 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

I’m digging the MainSqueeze channel. It links with the squeezebox player. A cool way to play your tunes.

Details (with pics):
http://forums.roku.c...hp?f=28&t=31915

#19 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

I've never had a Roku, but thinking about getting the xds from Amazon for $99. Supposed to ship Oct 7th. Are they usually cheaper in stores, or is Amazon the way to go?

Edited by IndyMichael, 26 September 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

I have the original Roku and the non-network WD. I was looking to update to the new WD Live HD box, but would rather have the XDS if it will play mpeg video from an external HD via the USB port as my WD does. I didn't see any specs on what formats it will be compatible with.

It's in a "See Specs" button:

USB 2.0 port (enabled via free software upgrade Nov 2010). Supports the following file formats: mp4 and m4v (video); mp3, aac and m4a (audio); jpg and png (photos).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...