Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ROKU introduces new line of HD streaming players

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

It happens to me but from what I can tell it seems to be HDMI issues. It doesn't reboot while I'm watching something. Only when I first start using it after I switch from another device using a HDMI switch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

It happens to me but from what I can tell it seems to be HDMI issues. It doesn't reboot while I'm watching something. Only when I first start using it after I switch from another device using a HDMI switch.

I watched half a movie yesterday in the early afternoon. No problems at all. Then I tried to watch the rest of it last night, and it wouldn't stream. This morning it's working fine. This is what I've been reading in the Roku forum. Apparently, it only gets buggy in the late afternoon and in the evening. I don't see any problem with the HDMI going from one device to another. Yet. I dunno what to do but wait. I should be contacted by someone from Roku today. I hope they are aware of the problem. I never had these problems up until a month or two ago.

Rich

#83 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

I'll have to try again today, but so far, I'm really close to sending it back and picking up another Blu-ray player. I was waiting on the Panny's to come back down to neat $100, and it sounds like they have.

Here's what I saw yesterday (this is on my brand new XD box)
Yesterday afternoon (maybe around 2ish CST), I tried to watch the second episode of Highlander, Season 1 and it rebooted twice during the 47 minute show. My wife tried to watch Iron Man around 4PM CST and she said it rebooted about 5 minutes in. The kids and I watched a Scooby Doo movie last night around 7CST and it ran fine for the entire movie. However, around 9CST, I tried to watch Zombie Land and it rebooted at the beginning, but made it through after that. So that's 4 spontaneous reboots in one day.

All of my streams show 4 dots. The Scooby one actually showed 4 dots and HD (first time I every saw the HD logo next to the dots).

Since everyone over on the Roku site points to this being an out of memory issue, I tried some of the suggestions to reduce the number of channels. So at this point, the only channel I have is NetFlix and I'm still getting reboots.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#84 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

I'll have to try again today, but so far, I'm really close to sending it back and picking up another Blu-ray player. I was waiting on the Panny's to come back down to neat $100, and it sounds like they have.

I'm very happy with my Panny BD65. As I said in an earlier post, I just ordered another one from Amazon. $103, free shipping (I pay for Prime Shipping because I do so much shopping on Amazon), no taxes. I had a really bad experience with the Panny BD45. I would not recommend that player to anyone, no matter how fast it loads. The BD65 loads quickly.

Here's what I saw yesterday (this is on my brand new XD box)
Yesterday afternoon (maybe around 2ish CST), I tried to watch the second episode of Highlander, Season 1 and it rebooted twice during the 47 minute show. My wife tried to watch Iron Man around 4PM CST and she said it rebooted about 5 minutes in. The kids and I watched a Scooby Doo movie last night around 7CST and it ran fine for the entire movie. However, around 9CST, I tried to watch Zombie Land and it rebooted at the beginning, but made it through after that. So that's 4 spontaneous reboots in one day.

All of my streams show 4 dots. The Scooby one actually showed 4 dots and HD (first time I every saw the HD logo next to the dots).

In the description of the movie or program, you should see whether it is in HD or not. If it shows HD and you only get four dots, something is wrong.

Since everyone over on the Roku site points to this being an out of memory issue, I tried some of the suggestions to reduce the number of channels. So at this point, the only channel I have is NetFlix and I'm still getting reboots.

Huh. How are the Roku boxes supposed to deal with NetFlix streaming in 1080p? I got a feeling I'm gonna end up with three Roku boxes on a shelf collecting dust along with all the other crappy electronics. I won't sell them on eBay. I won't sell anything that I know doesn't work correctly. Too much trouble for $300.

Rich

#85 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

I just watched a NetFlix Instant Queue movie on my Panny BD65 and it upgraded the resolution to 1080p.

Then I watched a 4:3 program that I first watched on one of my Rokus and the picture was a whole lot better. Night and day!

I watched these on a 1080p plasma and when I get the new BD65 I'll try it on one of my 720p TVs, but so far, I'm extremely surprised by the PQ difference.

If the shows play as well on the 720ps, I'll be getting at least one more BD65 and putting the Rokus on a shelf. Retired.

Must seem strange that I never watched a NetFlix streaming show on my BD player, but I've been watching DVDs on it since I got it and never bothered.

Never a reboot or restart or anything out of the ordinary. Not nearly as many channels to choose from, but all I really wanted the Rokus for was to watch streaming programs. I do have You Tube and Pandora on it.

Rich

#86 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

Well, yesterday came and went and the promised contact by Roku never happened. I'll be receiving the new BD65 this afternoon and will promptly hook it up to a 720 plasma and see what happens. If it performs anywhere close to how it works on a 1080p plasma, I'll definitely get another BD65. I have used one of my Roku boxes on my 1080p plasma and didn't see the same results as I see using the Panny BD65.

Rich

#87 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 924 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

Last four times I went to watch something on my Roku, it was frozen and I had to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it worked fine all day, but not the next morning.

#88 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Last four times I went to watch something on my Roku, it was frozen and I had to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it worked fine all day, but not the next morning.

I've had to do that many times. Really sucks doesn't it? I still want to know how the Roku boxes are going to deal with 1080p if their memory cannot support 720p.

The problem has to be with the Roku boxes. Can't be NetFlix that's causing the problem I have had no problems streaming NetFlix content from my BD65. But, I've only done it a couple times. I'll be doing it pretty steadily now, tho.

Rich

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I just set up the new Panny BD65 and it works very well on my 50" Panny 720p plasma. Much better than the Roku. Surprisingly good picture quality on NetFlix, which is really all I wanted the Rokus for in the first place.

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

I watched a movie from NetFlix streaming queue last night on my 720p TV and the picture was great and I had no problems with the BD65. All my Rokus are now disabled and my third BD65 arrives tomorrow.

Did you know that NetFlix only allows six (6) streaming devices on an account? I didn't, but I do now.

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

Ok, I’m a long time Roku HD user. I love my Roku. I decided to pick up the new Apple TV yesterday. All I can say is, wow! The Apple TV is better in every way. The GUI is awesome. Video quality much better than my Roku. Even the non HD videos look better. I kid you not, the quality improvement was very obvious. I simply unplugged my Roku and swapped it with my Apple TV. I’m using same TV settings and the same HDMI cable. The video quality improvements are due to the Apple TV alone.

The load time is off the charts. This is the other cool factor. I could not believe how fast the Apple TV loaded. Smoked the Roku HD player. The Netflix UI is great too. The whole system integrated seamlessly with my iPad and iTunes. Now for YouTube. That was flat out awesome. I know the Roku YouTube channel is still “private”. However, streaming YouTube HD video is the best. Even on my 52” TV the video was unexpectedly good.

The Apple TV replaced my Roku and my Squeezebox server. The Squeezebox is now in my closet. The Roku in my daughter’s room. Once Apple upgrades the iPad to v4.2, we’ll be able to stream pics, music and video from our iPad straight to the Apple TV. If I had to pick just two things I love about the Apple TV, video quality and load times. That alone is reason to get the Apple TV. Do yourself a favor, consider the Apple TV too.

#92 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

I agree about the Apple TV. The video quality even on standard def movies is quite good. Unfortunately I use Amazon on demand and other "channels" that are available on the ROKU box. So, I have both. :)

#93 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

Ok, I’m a long time Roku HD user. I love my Roku. I decided to pick up the new Apple TV yesterday. All I can say is, wow! The Apple TV is better in every way. The GUI is awesome. Video quality much better than my Roku. Even the non HD videos look better. I kid you not, the quality improvement was very obvious. I simply unplugged my Roku and swapped it with my Apple TV. I’m using same TV settings and the same HDMI cable. The video quality improvements are due to the Apple TV alone.

The load time is off the charts. This is the other cool factor. I could not believe how fast the Apple TV loaded. Smoked the Roku HD player. The Netflix UI is great too. The whole system integrated seamlessly with my iPad and iTunes. Now for YouTube. That was flat out awesome. I know the Roku YouTube channel is still “private”. However, streaming YouTube HD video is the best. Even on my 52” TV the video was unexpectedly good.

The Apple TV replaced my Roku and my Squeezebox server. The Squeezebox is now in my closet. The Roku in my daughter’s room. Once Apple upgrades the iPad to v4.2, we’ll be able to stream pics, music and video from our iPad straight to the Apple TV. If I had to pick just two things I love about the Apple TV, video quality and load times. That alone is reason to get the Apple TV. Do yourself a favor, consider the Apple TV too.

The fact that Apple won't let me stream off my external hard drive is enough to put it aside. I have tons of 720p torrents I've downloaded and like the ability to stream them onto my Roku.

My buddy has an Apple TV and I see no difference. Besides the fact that it has YouTube, that's about it. We both have the same television: Panasonic plasma circa 2006 and the picture quality looks the same.

My gripe with Apple is their constant "control" factor. Forcing users to use iTunes and "rent" movies is absurd. All to drive up their record revenues and stock price. I own 1 Apple product, and old 3rd generation iPod Nano, that's it. I think their products are severely overpriced and over hyped. But to each their own.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#94 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

The fact that Apple won't let me stream off my external hard drive is enough to put it aside. I have tons of 720p torrents I've downloaded and like the ability to stream them onto my Roku.

My buddy has an Apple TV and I see no difference. Besides the fact that it has YouTube, that's about it. We both have the same television: Panasonic plasma circa 2006 and the picture quality looks the same.

My gripe with Apple is their constant "control" factor. Forcing users to use iTunes and "rent" movies is absurd. All to drive up their record revenues and stock price. I own 1 Apple product, and old 3rd generation iPod Nano, that's it. I think their products are severely overpriced and over hyped. But to each their own.

Maybe I’m a newbie and don’t understand what you’re trying to do. Last night I streamed home movies from my networked PC to the Apple TV. The quality was great.

As for picture quality, we’ll agree to disagree. :D The video improvement was obvious on the Apple TV.

#95 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Maybe I’m a newbie and don’t understand what you’re trying to do. Last night I streamed home movies from my networked PC to the Apple TV. The quality was great.

As for picture quality, we’ll agree to disagree. :D The video improvement was obvious on the Apple TV.

I was under the impression you could only stream iTunes purchased/rented movies to the Apple TV?

So you're telling me if you downloaded the entire 1st season of Pawn Stars via torrents, that you could stream it to your Apple TV with no restrictions?

Just curious about this.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#96 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

If the files are imported into iTunes on a local networked computer (and they are the correct format), you can stream them to an Apple TV, no restrictions.

#97 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

One other thing. The files can remain on your external hard drive. You don't have to actually copy them into iTunes. As long as iTunes knows where to find them.

#98 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm glad Roku has been selling so many of these now, because when the Neo 550 comes out in a couple of weeks, they might not sell any more.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#99 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,625 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'm glad Roku has been selling so many of these now, because when the Neo 550 comes out in a couple of weeks, they might not sell any more.

God, this never stops. Now I gotta Google that. :lol:

Rich

#100 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

If the files are imported into iTunes on a local networked computer (and they are the correct format), you can stream them to an Apple TV, no restrictions.

One other thing. The files can remain on your external hard drive. You don't have to actually copy them into iTunes. As long as iTunes knows where to find them.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

So the DRM that Apple previously had through iTunes doesn't apply to the Apple TV?

That's nice to hear.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...