Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ROKU introduces new line of HD streaming players

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

The fact that Apple won't let me stream off my external hard drive is enough to put it aside. I have tons of 720p torrents I've downloaded and like the ability to stream them onto my Roku.

How are you streaming stuff from your PC to the Roku? Since the kids destroy so many DVD's, I make backup copies of every DVD when I buy it. So I probably have 20 or 30 iso's sitting on my HD. If I could stream those to the Roku, that would be great.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

How are you streaming stuff from your PC to the Roku? Since the kids destroy so many DVD's, I make backup copies of every DVD when I buy it. So I probably have 20 or 30 iso's sitting on my HD. If I could stream those to the Roku, that would be great.

Try http://www.chaneru.com/
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#103 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

I'm referring to the torrents I download.

Like for instance, I found several Season 3 720p episodes of 'Pawn Stars', I converted them from '.mkv' to '.mp4' in order for the Roku to be able to play them. Unfortunately at this time, the only format Roku will play is in fact .mp4

So I just hook up my Western Digital 2TB My Book to the Roku via the USB port and I watch them like that.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#104 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

Boxee Box started arriving in peoples hands today and, while it's early, there's a ton of problems.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#105 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

Boxee Box started arriving in peoples hands today and, while it's early, there's a ton of problems.

DLink makes those, correct?

Man there's so many different types of streaming devices now, it's hard to keep up :eek2:

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (3) HR20-700s *2 Owned, (1) HR21-700, (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) HR24-200, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#106 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

DLink makes those, correct?

Correct. It's Boxee software in hardware developed by DLink.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#107 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Try http://www.chaneru.com/

Cool, I'll have to give this a try.

I'm referring to the torrents I download.

Like for instance, I found several Season 3 720p episodes of 'Pawn Stars', I converted them from '.mkv' to '.mp4' in order for the Roku to be able to play them. Unfortunately at this time, the only format Roku will play is in fact .mp4

So I just hook up my Western Digital 2TB My Book to the Roku via the USB port and I watch them like that.

Ahhh, I bought the HD version, so it doesn't support external USB drives.

Thanks,
Rich

HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

#108 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Cool, I'll have to give this a try. Ahhh, I bought the HD version, so it doesn't support external USB drives.

I have three Roku XRs that are HD ready and have USB ports. Cheap.

Rich

#109 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

In case anyone was considering the Panasonic BD-65, Ebay Deals has them on special right now for $89 with free shipping. Looks like the special will end in about 3.5 hours

http://cgi.ebay.com/...468660.m2000036

Thanks,
Rich

#110 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

In case anyone was considering the Panasonic BD-65, Ebay Deals has them on special right now for $89 with free shipping. Looks like the special will end in about 3.5 hours

http://cgi.ebay.com/...468660.m2000036

That figures. I paid $103 for the two I just bought. Still rather spend the extra money and get them from Amazon. If they don't work properly, Amazon has a pretty hassle free return program. I don't trust eBay dealers. Ask our friend Volman what he thinks of eBay sellers. Send him a PM if he doesn't weigh in on this. I'm sure he'd like the chance to vent. He got screwed and nothing happened.

Rich

#111 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

Looking at the comments about limited file type support for playing video off of a USB drive makes me happy that I got a Western Digital Live Plus for streaming Netflix. It plays 99% of my files including my HD captures from 2 USB Drives and a NAS.

I was looking at the Roku and several other alternatives before I bought the WD player.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Looking at the comments about limited file type support for playing video off of a USB drive makes me happy that I got a Western Digital Live Plus for streaming Netflix. It plays 99% of my files including my HD captures from 2 USB Drives and a NAS.

I was looking at the Roku and several other alternatives before I bought the WD player.

Doesn't the WD player use 1.4 HDMI? And if it does, and I know one of them does, do you find any incompatibilities with your equipment? That kinda put me off when I read the specs. Wasn't sure how to cope with that. I think the 1.4 HDMI was just for 1080p.

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

So Roku released a post 2.8 update. I think the initial 2.8 update was 2.8 1150. They are now at 2.8 1158 and in the release notes, it says it's supposed to fix a specific crash scenario. It looks like it was released on 11/4, but maybe it took a few days to get to their update server. Because I hooked up my HD on the 6th and it didn't download that version of 2.8.

I updated mine last night, but haven't had a chance to play with it to see of the reboot issue was gone away.

Thanks,
Rich

#114 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

So Roku released a post 2.8 update. I think the initial 2.8 update was 2.8 1150. They are now at 2.8 1158 and in the release notes, it says it's supposed to fix a specific crash scenario. It looks like it was released on 11/4, but maybe it took a few days to get to their update server. Because I hooked up my HD on the 6th and it didn't download that version of 2.8.

I updated mine last night, but haven't had a chance to play with it to see of the reboot issue was gone away.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for that Roku agent to get in touch with me. I'm actually kinda glad it happened (the crashing) or I would have never realized just how good my Panny BD65 players upscale both HD and SD programming. If they get the Rokus fixed, I'll put a couple of them back in service. Their tech support really sucks. For those of you who ridicule the CSRs at D*, give Roku a call.

Rich

#115 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Well, here's one for you. After 2 months my XD/S completely died. No power. I called Roku support and they ran me through some tests and also decided the box is dead. I obtained a RMA and will ship the box back to them today.

So far the support as been fine. I could tell their call center was overseas but no biggy. Will let you know what happens when I get the new box and how long it takes.

#116 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Well, here's one for you. After 2 months my XD/S completely died. No power. I called Roku support and they ran me through some tests and also decided the box is dead. I obtained a RMA and will ship the box back to them today.

So far the support as been fine. I could tell their call center was overseas but no biggy. Will let you know what happens when I get the new box and how long it takes.

I just sent one back and it was received by them on the 15th. They promised a three day return once they received the returned box. I should get it Monday. I'm still waiting for that promised call from one of their support people. I did have to call them three times to get them to finally decide there was something amiss with the box.

Rich

#117 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

I bought a ROKU player from Amazon early this year, but it was DOA right out of the box. Called ROKU tech support to see if they had any troubleshooting suggestions, but after waiting on hold for 45 minutes without getting a CSR on the line, I gave up. Got an RMA # from Amazon, shipped it back, and got a BD player instead.

#118 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

I finally got notification that my replacement Roku box was shipped today. They received it on Nov. 15 and were supposed to ship it so that I would receive it three days after they received the bad box. I should have it on the 30th. Fifteen days after they received the bad box. If I hadn't kept calling them, I don't think I would have ever gotten the replacement.

Did you have to pay for the shipping of the box to them? I did. First time I can remember having to do that with any return. If I would have returned it in the first 30 days, the shipping would have been without cost, but the one year warranty doesn't include shipping costs. At least I don't have to pay shipping on the replacement.

Rich

#119 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

As a follow up. I sent the broken box last Saturday via first class priority mail. Yes, I paid the shipping (is was about $9). They received it on Monday and shipped my replacement box on Tuesday. I received the replacement on Friday (it would have been Thursday but Thanksgiving got in the way LOL).

The new box works fine. It's a brand new unit.

Roku came through. The only draw back is having to pay shipping.

#120 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

As a follow up. I sent the broken box last Saturday via first class priority mail. Yes, I paid the shipping (is was about $9). They received it on Monday and shipped my replacement box on Tuesday. I received the replacement on Friday (it would have been Thursday but Thanksgiving got in the way LOL).

The new box works fine. It's a brand new unit.

Roku came through. The only draw back is having to pay shipping.

Well, I'll have mine on the 30th. Don't know why the delay was so much longer then yours, but that's not unusual factoring in my lack of luck.

Rich

spam firewall