Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CW HD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:36 AM

Will Dish ever be able to sell a national CW HD package? Neither Albuquerque nor El Paso TX offer CW in anything but SD and that pretty much covers the entire state of NM. I qualify for the superstations but they're in SD too.

The only way I've been able to get CW shows in HD is to download them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:09 AM

You and most of the rest of the US that doesnt have access to an HD version of the CW. There is an active thread over in the D* forums as well about this exact same issue.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:40 AM

With affiliates that have exclusive rights with their markets there isn't much hope for a national feed. The CW has sold the right to broadcast those shows to a local affiliate. They (and all affiliates) have to abide with their contract.

It is frustrating when the network is broadcast as a .2 in SD or not carried on satellite at all or is on an affiliate that does not do HD or preempts shows but it comes back to that contract. National feeds can only be provided where it doesn't infringe on a local affiliate's rights.

#4 OFFLINE   PEARLTONE

PEARLTONE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

Will Dish ever be able to sell a national CW HD package? Neither Albuquerque nor El Paso TX offer CW in anything but SD and that pretty much covers the entire state of NM. I qualify for the superstations but they're in SD too.

The only way I've been able to get CW shows in HD is to download them.

if its possible for you to put up ota antenna....... you will get it like me :)

#5 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

if its possible for you to put up ota antenna....... you will get it like me :)

Or you can get lucky and have the local Fox and CW change call signs and you get CW in HD that way.

#6 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

What difference does it make if I get it via OTA, SAT, or Cable if all of the sources are SD? Or are you claiming that El Paso is broadcasting it OTA in HD? That would be news to me.

if its possible for you to put up ota antenna.......
you will get it like me :)

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

All you can do is lobby your local CW station to go HD, otherwise there is NO hope of you getting CW in HD.

Fortunately our local CW does 720p, but having 2 720p signals plus a 480p on the same frequency, the picture is a little soft and sometines you can see some macro blocking.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

If I'm dependent on the local affiliate, this will be one of the last markets to get HD. Supernatural and Smallville were available to download in HD last night about the same time that they were shown here due to the time zone so I guess my HD content on the CW will be via the net with the added bonus of being commercial free. I can't wait for the day that the idea of a local affiliate is obsolete. Just imagine if the Internet were the medium of choice with reliable multicast streams that could be tapped into. The only local content I want to see is the news and that could actually be done just as well on a website.

#9 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

WUCW in Minneapolis has both HD on 23.1 and SD on 23.2.

I record Smallville OTA in HD from them.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#10 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

No such luck here. Where I live, MyNetwork and CW are broadcasting OTA on our local CBS and ABC affiliate's sub-channels. Which also shares bandwidth with those station's SD sub-channels. Nice huh? Not only is it in SD, it's bandwidth limited SD. There's no option in my area to get those channels in HD other than to subscribe to Charter cable. I would welcome a national CW feed or if one of the superstations was allow to broadcast their HD feed in addition to their SD feed.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#11 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

If there was a national HD feed, your local affiliate would have even less motivation to go HD. Get an antenna, and let the station know that you'd LOVE to have them in HD. Give them feedback...that's what stations like.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

Better yet, watch the station and visit with their local advertisers, hinting about the lack of High definition programming, loss of viewership, etc. Pressure them in the pocketbook.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

If there was a national HD feed, I wouldn't need the local affiliate. I don't think the stations give a crap about the antenna users; they're a small minority of their viewer base. Most views are using cable or satellite. The whole idea of a broadcast affiliate is simply a way to map an exclusive territory now. The last CW affiliate I was near was cable only so there wasn't even a pretense of a broadcast station.

Programming on each network is exclusive and the affiliates make sure that they have exclusivity for the market so what incentive is there for them to spend money on HD broadcasts? There's no competition.

The answer for me now is the Internet. It's probably illegal to upload the material but I don't think there's a been a prosecution of downloading on a non P2P network of OTA content. The shows I watch are available on the Internet even before the SD broadcasts and are commercial free.

I've never seen positive feedback to broadcasters do any good. The closest I've seen to have any affect is negative feedback on broadcast signals for a territory. They actually did work on improving reception issues by creating additional repeaters. The digital transition didn't work out very well for some of the more rural areas until more towers were put up.

If there was a national HD feed, your local affiliate would have even less motivation to go HD. Get an antenna, and let the station know that you'd LOVE to have them in HD. Give them feedback...that's what stations like.

#14 OFFLINE   fraisa

fraisa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Noticed that the canadian Sat company Bell TV Carries KTLA,WPIX,WGN and WSBK in HD......
Only Sat provider to date that has it.....

#15 OFFLINE   mlcarson

mlcarson

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

Nice. Unfortunately I can't get BEV this far south. I had Shaw Direct for a bit but had reception issues with it too on some transponders -- worked fine in MI though. Shaw has WGN HD. BEV would be nice but they won't willingly sell service to anybody in the US. Overall, I prefer DISH but on the issue of CW HD -- Canadian SAT wins.

#16 OFFLINE   fraisa

fraisa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:50 AM

Ya it was nice last night watching Smallville in HD..
I get the Package just for that show from CW...
WGN HD had basketball game on so they moved the show to Sat Night...
Glad i noticed ahead of time and was able to DVR it on WPIX HD...
I would rather watch to on dish,
What i dont understand is they have a Superstations package for 7$ a month
and none of the channels come in hd...
Totally Stupid
Maybe with all the extra bandwidth from loosing the fox affilite channels some one over at dish with a BRAIN will get it that they could make more money from there Superstations pack by making it availible in HD........

DONt Get it at all

Protected By... spam firewall...And...