Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D12 receiver no signal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TNMUSTANG

TNMUSTANG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

My wife and I have purchased a Lake home about 60 miles from us. It has a SLIMLINE 5LNB dish installed on the roof. We have a Slimline 3LNB dish installed at our regular home with a swm8 switch hooked to a DVR and 3 other receivers. Last week, I bought a D12D-100 receiver from my local directv supplier, to take with us when we go to the lake home, so we can have TV. But, I can't get any signal to the receiver. I activated the reciever at home with our "home" settings. I went back to my Directv supplier to talk to them (which was a young kid working on saturday, the owner wasn't there, and I think the kid thought I was wasting his time) stated that I would have to change the satelite settings in the D12 receiver, when I take the box to the lake home. He also stated that I wouldn't need a power inserter for the dish. I still can't get any signal. My only question is.... Does the slimline 5LNB dish require a power inserter or not when installing only a D12D-100 receiver? I've checked the wires, and everything else. I'm sorry about asking such a stupid question... But my wife is peeved that I wasted $99 for a receiver that doesn't work!! HELP!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

How many cables are coming out of the Slimline 5, 1 or 4 ?
If 1 it is a SWM system and needs a power inserter.
If 4, it is a conventional system and does not need the power inserter.
If it is a conventional system you will need to setup the D12 quite differently than it is set up at home.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   TNMUSTANG

TNMUSTANG

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

There is only one wire coming out of satelite. Thanks for your reply!!!

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

There is only one wire coming out of satelite. Thanks for your reply!!!

Appears that you have SWM at home and the Lake.
Both use the Power Inserter.
You might only have to go into setup and resetup the satellite and change the dish type to the one that is at the lake.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 October 2010 - 01:21 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   TNMUSTANG

TNMUSTANG

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Jimmie, THANKS!! The first time I went to the lake, I took my power inserter from home and tried it out... But, I didn't know I had to change the satelite type so I got no signal. Then after talking to the "kid" at the directv shop, and him telling me that I didn't need a power inserter, I tried changing the satelite type and still couldn't get any signal. So, now, maybe 3rd times charm, I'll try it again. Thanks for your help!!

#6 OFFLINE   n17987

n17987

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

Jimmie, THANKS!! The first time I went to the lake, I took my power inserter from home and tried it out... But, I didn't know I had to change the satelite type so I got no signal. Then after talking to the "kid" at the directv shop, and him telling me that I didn't need a power inserter, I tried changing the satelite type and still couldn't get any signal. So, now, maybe 3rd times charm, I'll try it again. Thanks for your help!!

i have been having the same issue, but when i go into change the satellite type it will not let me. if i have a slimline dish and the d12, starting from the dish to the tv, what exactly do i need to do, how many cables from the dish, what type of splitter, power or not. that's the rough of it.
thanks for any help

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Try changing the settings on the d12 before you connect the satellite coax into it. That's what I have to do in order to change dish settings on my d12 when I go tailgating at football games.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...