Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving - how to temporarily get locals in new location?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

I'm moving to a new job which requires a relocation so while our house is on the market my wife will remain in the original location - keeping the primary D* service there. I'm planning on setting up a temporary dish and taking "my" HR20 with me (I know this bends the TOS but I'm not really worried about it as it's functionally no different than having the IRDs in different rooms) so I can keep up with my content. The problem is that the move is far enough that it's a different spot beam, which means I will lose my current locals. I know I can't have 1 account and different locals on different IRDs (or can I?) but since I've got an HR20 can I just hook up the off-air antenna to get the off-air HD locals in the temporary location? The guide data might be incorrect but I could always convert to manual recordings so long as the tuning works properly.

Edited by Tom M, 23 September 2010 - 05:22 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Connect an antenna to the HR20 and rerun setup with local zip. That might work. Dont connect phone or ethernet.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

This doesn't "bend" ths TOS. This breaks them. Having service on the same account at 2 addresses/locations simultaneously IS against DirecTV policy

Edited by xmetalx, 23 September 2010 - 10:28 PM.

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#4 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

This doesn't "bend" ths TOS. This breaks them. Having service on the same account at 2 addresses/locations simultaneously IS against DirecTV policy

"Bend" means he knows, doesn't care, and doesn't want to get into a debate about it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...