Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Take receiver to friends house?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   atDev

atDev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

My friend has DirecTV. Is it possible for me to give him my receiver and he can watch NFL sunday ticket by simply switching out the receivers?

Will this throw up any flags on DirecTV's end where they may charge or cancel me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

My friend has DirecTV. Is it possible for me to give him my receiver and he can watch NFL sunday ticket by simply switching out the receivers?

Will this throw up any flags on DirecTV's end where they may charge or cancel me?

What you are proposing appears to violate the Terms of Service, so the issue isn't "flags from D*", but asking how safe it is to violate the TOS, which is a no-no on dbstalk.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:47 AM

"possible", yes, but is against the customer agreement big time!
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   atDev

atDev

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

Can you point me to where this is covered in the TOS?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

It has to do with the service location [address on the account].
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   atDev

atDev

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

I see. Yet they allow it to be viewed via a phone/internet connection anywhere despite location.

They also offer their "Sat-Go" equipment.

To me it seems that if you pay for the subscription it shouldn't matter where you watch it. It's not like your stealing anything. But I guess if its in the TOS it's not a good idea.

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

I see. Yet they allow it to be viewed via a phone/internet connection anywhere despite location.

To me it seems that if you pay for the subscription it shouldn't matter where you watch it. It's not like your stealing anything. But I guess if its in the TOS it's not a good idea.

But, that's not what you asked:

"give him my receiver and he can watch NFL sunday ticket"

He didn't pay for ST, you did. You propose that he double dip off your fee.

It might be a different matter (at least ethically), if you took your receiver to a tailgate and watched it. There has been a lot of discussion about that, and quite a few people do it. They get a 2nd dish (small), and take it to the game. In this case, you paid and you are very temporarily watching it at a new "portable" location. It still may be a technical violation of the TOS, but at least it passes the "smell" test.

Loaning a box to your buddy so he can watch what he didn't pay for doesn't come close to passing the smell test, in my opinion. Then again, my opinion doesn't count, and D*'s does. :)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

I didn't write the rules. You asked, and I tried to answer.
"I think" the difference between what they do offer via phone/internet and actually from the receiver is these aren't HD, so they are a degraded feed.
I doubt you'll find a lot of people sitting in front of an Iphone watching the sunday ticket, like you would a big screen.
A.K.A VOS

#9 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

I think this is an area where valor is the better part of discretion. Do the right thing, but what you have to do according to how you interpret the TOS, but just don't bring it up in a public forum.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I make my own decisions. I would rather ask forgiveness than (not then) ask permission.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

Thank you!

I didn't write the rules. You asked, and I tried to answer.
"I think" the difference between what they do offer via phone/internet and actually from the receiver is these aren't HD, so they are a degraded feed.
I doubt you'll find a lot of people sitting in front of an Iphone watching the sunday ticket, like you would a big screen.

So it is ok if I take a D12 and my little 6" TV somewhere else than my service address? It is a pretty degraded feed from an HD plasma.

IMO, if you want to take the box somewhere and watch it yourself, do it. HD or not. Now giving it to a friend to watch, that is a little different.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

If you are visiting your friend for the weekend, and you guys want to watch at his house for that weekend, then thats what some do, but for you to give him one of your receivers so he can watch at his house and you watch at your house, thats a complete no-no. That is technically account stacking, and that is super against the rules.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

Section 1(h)

(h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, enjoyment and home viewing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

This is a violation of FCC regulations. You cannot have receivers authorized in 2 homes at the same time. There is much more to this but for simplicity's sake that's what it is.
Slimline 5 SWM
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-100 :grin:
R22-100 :lol:
H25-500:hurah:

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

This is a violation of FCC regulations. You cannot have receivers authorized in 2 homes at the same time. There is much more to this but for simplicity's sake that's what it is.

Surely, you must be kidding, right? The FCC has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this issue. It is between D* and the customer, and appears to be a violation of the TOS, nothing more.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

People take receivers out of their homes and connect them in their campers all the time.
Just go camping. ;)
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#16 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

Watch on your computer with NFLST to GO

JACK,

#17 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by DIRECTV Customer Agreement
(h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, ENJOYMENT and home viewing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't enjoy the football game today so I think I violated the TOS.

#18 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by DIRECTV Customer Agreement
(h) Private Viewing. We provide Service only for your private non-commercial use, ENJOYMENT and home viewing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't enjoy the football game today so I think I violated the TOS.

:D

#19 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

If you're working for the provider's legal dept, post to us a QUOTE from the FCC document !

#20 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Sorry folks but the FCC is involved because of local channels. A consumer cannot obtain locals from multiple locations with 1 acct. This is called mirroring fraud. Legal source to follow.
Slimline 5 SWM
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-100 :grin:
R22-100 :lol:
H25-500:hurah:

spam firewall