Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24: recording conflicting show

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   herzzreh

herzzreh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

In Series, do I have to select "Both" or "First-run" in order to record a later showing of the conflicting show? One I'm interested conflicts with two other at 9pm but is rerun at midnight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

It should do it automatically even with "First Run" selected.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   herzzreh

herzzreh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ah, I see.. it just scared me that they would not show up in the TDL. I guess it needs some time to refresh.

Also, if I want to record reruns of the old show, which option do I pick?

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

"Both"

IIRC, that is governed by the 28-day rule, meaning that if recorded or on the schedule in the previous 28 days, it will be ignored, which is done to prevent recording multiple showings of the same episode in the same flight (if Weeds airs the same ep 4 times this week, it will record only one of them)
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

It should be set for “First Run”, unless you really do want repeats but “Both” is not necessary. I do this all the time. I have several SLs that I moved to the bottom of the priority list, banking on the fact that when they conflict they will record the next available showing.

It almost always records the showing later that night (early the next morning) but I have seen it record a Sunday night SL on Tuesday morning. That’s rare though and was related to some movie recording during late night showings on Sunday & Monday. However, it does illustrate that the SL will keep looking for the next available airing of the original first run until it gets it.

I really like the fact that I can take advantage of this “feature”. It allows us to have those USA, Syfy, Discovery, etc series and not miss the network shows we watch as family.

Move the SL with multiple showings to the bottom of you priority list and you’ll be good to go. It usually shows up in the To-Do list quickly but don't get discouraged it you don't see it. Sometimes, for what ever reason, it shows up right before. I don't even bother checking to see that it's been moved any more. It works and that's all that I care about. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

"Both"

IIRC, that is governed by the 28-day rule, meaning that if recorded or on the schedule in the previous 28 days, it will be ignored, which is done to prevent recording multiple showings of the same episode in the same flight (if Weeds airs the same ep 4 times this week, it will record only one of them)

The 28 day rule doesn't apply here.

When you have two shows set to record on Monday at same time and request a 3rd show to record, the DVR asks you which episode to cancel (or neither). Canceling a scheduled recording for a show you have a Series Link/Season Pass to will automatically schedule the same episode the next time it airs.

I think if you just cancel a recording from the To Do List, then the 28 day rule applies.

As MicroBeta pointed out, the To Do List on the HR2* dvrs is slow to update, but *should* work.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...