Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

esata Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi hoping you guys can help. i just went to the mrv yesterday. i had an old hr21, which directv replaced with another hr21. i thought i'd buy an esata drive (so looking around here) i purchased a wd WD20EVDS and Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station.

Hooked up and rebooted my hr21, how do i know if it's been recognized? is there a menu to see the capacity etc?

also the deca, stopped working on the same hr21, so i plugged the ethernet cable from the hr21 into my router.... even though tech support told me not to. it seems to be working. is there anything wrong with this. i have a second hr21 that is plugged in through the deca. everything seems to be talking ok.

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,053 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

if MRV working, then no worry

eSATA drive? check your old schedule, if missed, then using eSATA
TT BlacX has LED - if blinking in red, then it using by DVR

#3 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

If you can, disconnect the Thermaltake, record a short portion of a show on your internal drive. Then reconnect the esata and go to your playlist. If the partial recording is not listed, then you are on the esata.
(Of course, you have to reboot your dvr between connecting/disconnecting the esata.)
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Hi hoping you guys can help. i just went to the mrv yesterday. i had an old hr21, which directv replaced with another hr21. i thought i'd buy an esata drive (so looking around here) i purchased a wd WD20EVDS and Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station.

Hooked up and rebooted my hr21, how do i know if it's been recognized? is there a menu to see the capacity etc?

You must have had recordings on your 21's internal drive. When you hooked up the external drive, you should have seen an empty Playlist. That's indication enough that you're on the external HDD.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   drfever10

drfever10

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

I treated myself to a brand new Fantom 1TB with a new replacement HR-20, any way to tell that the external drive is working without the plugging/unplugging routine?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,053 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

I treated myself to a brand new Fantom 1TB with a new replacement HR-20, any way to tell that the external drive is working without the plugging/unplugging routine?

Post#2 ?

#7 OFFLINE   EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. External hard drive not working. Not sure what to do now?

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. External hard drive not working. Not sure what to do now?

Did you: Unplug both the HR and the docking station leaving the eSATA to eSATA cable hooked up and then power up the docking station for about a minute until you could feel the HDD spinning? And then plug in the HR?

That's the proper protocol for starting up an external on an HR.

The other thing you might try if that doesn't work is reversing the eSATA to eSATA jumper cable. Know that sounds crazy, but it's worked for me a couple times, have no idea why.

If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at the HR as the culprit.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...