Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All lower channels loss signal

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Well was just watching football on one of the lower channels, and all sudden searching for signal comes up, and checked the other lower channels they are out also. But channels in the 200's are working in hd. The weather is not bad outside at all. Everything is new regarding wiring, and all recievers doing same thing.
So what do you think can be the problem? Is it possible there is a satellite issue locally? or the dish on the house moved? The weather is nice, a little wind today SSW 13 mph.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:37 PM

my guess is if your locals come from a satellite other than the 101, which is likely the case, and there's no weather in your area, its heavy weather at the uplink facility more than likely, or some other issue with the uplink facility. If it were a satellite, we'd probably see alot more comments. :D
I am not really a codfish.

#3 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

Here are the signals, not looking that good to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Well called Directv CS, and there was no local issue that they know of, So the ladie told me someone should give me a call back withen 2 hours, something about case people calling me back, to get the issue fixed as soon as possible. Hopefully someone calls me soon, because I will be mad if this isn't fixed by tomorrow, Being a big football fan I am, and the local channels not working.

Edited by lilstone87, 25 September 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

Here are the signals, not looking that good to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No, not looking good. You're missing every other transponder. Typically a symptom of loose, moist or corroded coax connector at your dish, ground or multiswitch/splitter. Check those.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Well I talked to the case manager, and i reset the one bedroom box when i called directv cs earlier, and it still hadn't loaded when I talked to the case manager. So she had me unplug the cable to the box in the bedroom, and check to make sure the middle wire wasn't bent, and it was fine. Because all cables, and etc are new from problems before.
So she then had me run a system test on the bedroom box, and it gave me a error code, and soon after i gave it to her, the mini box in the top corner started showing the channel for different sports packages, you can get. After that checked local channels working fine, and signals looked good again.Then she had me reset all the other boxes, which caused my bedroom box to lose signal for a short time, but now all signals look good again, and local channels working again.

So now I'm wondering why this issue happen, and if she did something on her end to fix this problem.
Really I'm just happy its working again, But this signal issue has poped up a few times before. I do know when they first installed directv at this place, they used the swim setup, and they had to switch setups withen a few weeks, because of major signal issues we had. I know I'm venting a little bit, But I just wish this problem would stop happening.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Sounds like an intermittent coax connector problem. I'm betting the problem will reappear until the offending connection is fixed.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:06 AM

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be a bad connector on my switch. Tech came out, fixed the connector and all was well.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#9 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Well same thing happen again today. All local/HD channels went out on all tv's for a couple hour period, and i run the system check again, and today it gave a error, Saying the dish may have moved causing issue. But I don't think the dish has moved. I do have a tech coming out tomorrow after having to call my case manager again today. He thinks its a issue between the switch, and dish. Which I think is to.

I do know for a good 2 or so month period the switch outside laid on the ground, and wouldn't be surprised it has somehow gotten damaged. The tech who came out a month ago, screwed it to the house, and make sure all connections to the switch were tight.
But who goes to say he didn't tighten one too much and break it. So I'm gunna have the tech out tomorrow check all wires to the dish, and the dish to make sure it isn't moving on the roof.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Let us know what the tech finds.

#11 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

Will do, I'm gunna have a nice chat with the tech tomorrow. I'm gunna be straight up with him, and tell him I have had nothing but signal problems since having DTV installed last august.

#12 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Well tech has come and gone, first thing he did was check dish, and he said it was off a little bit, so he adjusted it. But told me if I had anymore problems. most likely next step would be replacing the dish. So its still a wait and see game, on if the dish was really out of position. Trust me if there is anymore signal issues. I will make the next tech check everything, because now its been a little over a year with signal issues, and I'm about tired of this headache.

#13 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

Well Had another tech out at my place this morning, But due to flash flood warning, and tornado watch today. I had to setup another tech visit for tomorrow. From the looks of it, most likely the next step in fixing my local hd's issue, Is to replace the dish. The tech this morning mention about changing out something on the dish, that may fix the issue. So I don't know if a total dish replacement is needed.

So anyone want to explain what he was talking about changing out on the dish? Because our discussion on this, was cut short due to having to setup visit for tomorrow on the phone.

#14 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

He's probably thinking about changing the lnb, which is the active part of the dish hooked to the coax, at the end of the arm.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#15 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

He's probably thinking about changing the lnb, which is the active part of the dish hooked to the coax, at the end of the arm.

Come to think of it, he did mention the LNB. I just wonder why it really only affects my local/local hd channels most the time.

#16 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

Well I don't know anything about LNB's, but I do know we run 4 boxes, 2 hd dvr's, and 2hd boxes. Only one is not hooked up to a hd tv. So I'm wondering is the LNB they have on the dish just not the right one for our setup.

#17 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

Well the tech came out today, and he replaced the lnb's, Hopefully this fixes the signal issue. He did mention that the dish is pointed at pole on the street, and the transformer could be causing the signal issue. Have any of you seen or heard of this being a problem before?

#18 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

With the symptoms you were showing it was/is one of three things. The LNB, a cable between the LNB and mutiswitch or a multiswitch. Not know what your setup is...SWMLNB, legacy LNB with SWM8, legacy LNB with WB68...it is hard to say if swapping the LNB will fix the problem. If you have an LNB with a single wire coming out of it to a splitter then the LNB is the only part that could cause your issue. If you have four cables coming from the dish to another switch then the issue could be in the cables between the LNB and the dish, or in the switch.

#19 OFFLINE   66stang351

66stang351

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

Well the tech came out today, and he replaced the lnb's, Hopefully this fixes the signal issue. He did mention that the dish is pointed at pole on the street, and the transformer could be causing the signal issue. Have any of you seen or heard of this being a problem before?

Highly doubt this is your issue based on the signals you were showing...lots of 100's and high 90's interspersed with 0's on the same satellite.

#20 OFFLINE   lilstone87

lilstone87

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Well I do know there is multiple cables that come from the dish, and looks to be 2 lnb's on there. I don't know if that tells you much or not. But hopefully the lnb he replaced was the problem. Also now all signals are looking very good. the higher hd channels signal avg about 95 now, and even all the hd locals signal are in the 90's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...