Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

$9 Monthly Primary Receiver fee

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   avchong

avchong

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

My only receiver is a DVR625 with annual subscription to AT200 programming and I am being charged a monthly Primary Receiver Lease fee of $9. I thought that there is no monthly fee for your first receiver. Is this $9 fee because of the annual programming?
If so, this seems ridiculous as with annual subscription you save one month $53 but pay $108 in monthly fees.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

My only receiver is a DVR625 with annual subscription to AT200 programming ....

Years ago I paid 12 months in advance and essentially was charged for 11 months IIRC. I thought that this option was no longer avaialble.

By "annual subscription" I take it to mean you're receaving a discount by paying in advance????

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

It sounds like an old fee that should have fallen off. Without any changes to programming some things don't fall off.

Call DISH.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I was in this scenario about a year ago... and ultimately had to take an "upgrade" to the same receiver I already had for them to eliminate the fee for the first receiver on my account.

The executive resolution team also told me they could have fixed it in the computer without the faux upgrade process... but to get there you have to be on the verge of cancellation, and I wasn't quite there yet at the time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

Years ago I paid 12 months in advance and essentially was charged for 11 months IIRC. I thought that this option was no longer avaialble.

By "annual subscription" I take it to mean you're receaving a discount by paying in advance????

Thanks, anyway.

I did an on-line chat and found that it is indeed possible to pay in a year in advance and save a month's fees.

EDIT: Phoned in and tried to pay in advance. Not eligible because I have Free HD For Life. Sounds suspicious. I sent an E-mail to CEO Problem Solvers. They've always been helpful in the past when conflicting info provided.

EDIT2: I had to go thru the CEO's office to do this. I made a payment of 11 X Monthly bill and the rep credited me with a month free.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 27 September 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   naptime

naptime

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

I had a talk a week ago with a CSR who seemed to know way more than the average at Dish. I have the same fee, and he said it was due to being on annual subscription, and that if I switched to monthly, it would be gone, with me paying only for additional receiver(s). I pointed out the same discrepancy between the annual subscription savings and the additional lease fee not only erasing those savings, but adding to my bill even more. It seems with Dish, the annual subscription puts you in a different class of customer, one who is not entitled to other 'deals'.

#7 OFFLINE   dish_n3t

dish_n3t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

You aren't supposed to pay that fee. I'm sure on your bill you would also see a credit of $9. Either $7 + $2 or $5 + $4.

That fee is only charged to Dish customers if they do not have a basic package. In your case you have a basic package for which you are paying annually.

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

You aren't supposed to pay that fee. I'm sure on your bill you would also see a credit of $9. Either $7 + $2 or $5 + $4.

That fee is only charged to Dish customers if they do not have a basic package. In your case you have a basic package for which you are paying annually.

So how can we call you directly to get the $9 monthly fee removed?

In Aug '09, a CSR took me off of Annual so that HD Platinum could be combined for the single $10 HD fee. The prorated refund was based on "old prices" and Annual was added back using "new prices". Something still didn't work, so I switched to monthly billing just over a year ago.

In late Feb, I tried to go back on Annual, and that's when the $9/month charges started. I didn't check "Recent Activity" for a couple days to even spot the added fee, but at least DISH still allowed you to see them on the web site then. Several calls got nowhere, but one CSR did some calculation and added a monthly $8.33 credit. Close enough to whole to not spend more time for little $. There certainly isn't any automatic $9 credit on the bills.

Since HD for Life also isn't available to someone that pays annually, I found it easier to just give up and go back to monthly billing. I'd been annual from '97 to '09 and would like to do annual by next Feb. I'm told it would end my (automatic conversion) of HD for Life if I went back today. That would add $19/month - so much for one month free.

#9 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

Since HD for Life also isn't available to someone that pays annually, I found it easier to just give up and go back to monthly billing. I'd been annual from '97 to '09 and would like to do annual by next Feb. I'm told it would end my (automatic conversion) of HD for Life if I went back today. That would add $19/month - so much for one month free.

CABill,

See Post 5 above - the two edits.
I can not be positive, but my account still reflects the Free HD For Life. It may be that the CEO rep had the ability/authority to over-ride that restriction?

Financially, I would think it would be just as financially worthwhile to get 11 months in advance whether HD for life is there or not.

#10 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

I can not be positive, but my account still reflects the Free HD For Life. It may be that the CEO rep had the ability/authority to over-ride that restriction?

I'm not privy to what the CEO rep did, but I don't think you really became an annual sub. As naptime stated, you become an entirely different class of sub with annual payments. My GUESS is that the rep gave you a one month credit and charged the account 11 times ATxxx, and your account now has a big credit balance. You're likely paperless and won't care that DISH usually doesn't mail a bill to someone with a credit balance (or at least didn't use to do so). If I were to pay for annual AT120, it isn't 11 * $39.99 because locals aren't included with annual. So it is $385 = 11 * $35. *IF* an annual sub chooses locals (not required with annual) they pay a monthly $5.99. The also can't (couldn't - haven't seen since Feb) display the Programming tab online. It says something about not available to annual subs.

Your route is preferable, but it also may not offer what I liked the best - defer the Feb price increase into the next calendar year. A big credit balance may not last you 12 months!

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:44 AM

I'm not privy to what the CEO rep did, but I don't think you really became an annual sub ....
Your route is preferable, but it also may not offer what I liked the best - defer the Feb price increase into the next calendar year. A big credit balance may not last you 12 months!

Bill,

I suspect that you are exactly right.

While the money I paid in advance may not cover do to the anticipated Feb increase, I'm still ahead of the game.

Tnx.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...