Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Remote Access from my Android phone

timer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaCypher

DaCypher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

I've got a few issues using DISH Remote Access from my Android phone:

1) I can't login directly from dish.sling.com (says invalid password), instead I have to login on dishnetwork.com and click the remote access link from there. This is mainly annoying because I can't get dishnetwork.com to save my login credentials and instead I have to enter them each time (dish.sling.com seems to offer an option to save my password).

2) I find that using some of the features (My DVR, remote control, etc) come up with an error message that indicates that my DVR is not online. My DVR is most certainly online and I can access these features using remote access from a PC. I have found that if I clear the cache in the web browser on my phone and then relogin which is cumbersome (see #1) then the issue goes away (at least until the next time I try to use remote access and I have to repeat this process). This seems like a bug in the mobile version of the remote access site.

3) Not all of my recordings are listed in the My DVR section for some reason. None of the records made by DISH Pass timers show up, but I also have some more "normal" timers that record all new episodes of some shows and none of them are listed.

Anyone experience anything similar?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rbonzer

rbonzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

I don't have issue #1 exactly, but this is my problem:

For some reason, I have to log into dish.sling.com with a different name/password than the iPad/iPhone app. I can't find any way to change either of them.

I haven't noticed any missing timers or recordings.

#3 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

dish.sling.com has it's own login/password system and doesn't automatically add receivers by looking at your DISH account. (At least at the time I made my account, I had to enter that information manually.)

Using the Remote Access button is DISH's perferred way for their customers to access their remote guides as it requires no previous setup and uses the same login as their online account access. (Which I know people aren't too happy about.)

If you look at the dish.sling.com page is says:

"Login here ... but not for long!

We've made major improvements to Dish Remote
Access, only available at Dishnetwork.com. This
page is going away soon
so sign up today - all
accounts* are now eligible!

Meaning that at any time, dish.sling.com and your user account there will at some point stop working.

My advice is to be patient, the official Android app will be up in the coming weeks.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#4 OFFLINE   rbonzer

rbonzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

I guess I should pay more attention to the page. Although now I know I shouldn't even go to that page. Time to update my bookmark.

#5 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

In my opinion the whole dish/sling, Dish Online, " Remote Access" is not ready for prime time. :blackeye: Dish/sling was down for days this summer with zero information from dishTV and very little from Sling. :blackeye::blackeye:The only mention from Dish was "server changes", Sling after several days started posting weak, non-informative updates.:blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:
The Web page continues to evolve with mixed results, the latest for me is having to log in and out to get "Best/HD" to work, if not you get a "try again later" message..........which one time out of 4 operates. :icon_lame
The beta "Dish Online" is another point of contention, although the title "beta" saves the incompetence and annoyances bacon. :barf:The newest twist? upon logging on or in... you recieve a message your offline....yet occasionally by clicking on the reciever icon you get a sub-menu of your DVR's recording......when attempting to view your TV programming you are informed again you are not connected/offline and sent to a page offering to upgrade you to a DVR which you already have.......get the picture? !pepsi!
This stuff barely works........over at Dish Support, a relatively obscure support sight moderated by Dish you get the cheerleader telling everyone to be patient because the big fix is coming......:preach:I sincerely hope so.......:icon_da:
:icon_band

Literally minutes after posting above...:eek: my beta "Dish Online" connection was re-established...:brush: a new window appeared informing me I was not connected and I could "check it", which I did, twice...and it worked.......:alterhase thanks dishtv, just incase your monitoring our discussions..........:coffee
:icon_band

Edited by 356B, 28 September 2010 - 05:17 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#6 OFFLINE   DaCypher

DaCypher

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

It seems like most of my issues are due to some flaky software on Dish/Sling's part. Hopefully they are aware of them and are working on them. But as was mentioned, there is no visibility into any of this stuff so the customers are left in the dark speculating on web forums. :)

Interesting point about the Android app. Though, I must say that I prefer to just use a web site as it is now (assuming they fix the issues) rather than an app since the app would do everything the web site does except I'd have to install something on my phone. If I had a SlingBox or a ViP922 I might think differently as I can see how a dedicated app would be required in order to stream video to my phone.

#7 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

When will the android app be available ....

SOON! :beatdeadhorse:

Just like the sling player for andriod that they FINALLY released like last week. That was cruel to take that long to make it available to US Cellular users. I don't know if others had it for theuir phones sooner. Now ... why is it another $30 to get if for android if you paid for it to be used on WinMobile already? Actually ... why is it $30 at all! That is too much for an app that you can't use without their hardware already bought and paid for in your house.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#8 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

There won't be an android app. Why would they want to make one that only some phones can use and only those phones running certain software when they can do it simple and make one for the iPhone that will have iPhone,iPad and iPod touch users able to use it. Millions upon millions.

Other then not liking AT&T i can't figure out why anyone would use android.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

Really? You bothered posting that? I'm not a zealot, but there's clearly room in the market for both, and Android's picking up marketshare at a pace Apple can only dream about because they're going their usual myopic route.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

It's simple ... Android is an OPEN SYSTEM.

Yes, there is plenty of room for both and even a little space left over for WinMobile.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#11 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

There won't be an android app. Why would they want to make one that only some phones can use and only those phones running certain software when they can do it simple and make one for the iPhone that will have iPhone,iPad and iPod touch users able to use it. Millions upon millions.

^ This guy....:thats:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about...that is three devices you listed there that Apple will NEVER open up due to arrogance...

With Android, you have (guessing) probably 30 different devices active on all the carriers, and that list is CONSTANTLY growing at an astronomic rate, vs. Apple once every couple years. This is soon to be expanded to tablets as well as smartphones as well. Android is clearly on a rocket ship and there is most likely no end in sight.

#12 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

I love how everyone thinks android is open. The issue with android is every phone is different and every carrier puts something different on and then each manuf puts it's spin GUI on top of the Android system.

Android is no more open then anything else. Plus with the lawsuit against them for java and the fact that apple owns the right to the multi touch. Let's see how that playa out.

Sure android is growing only because other then the iPhone it's the only choice for smart phone unless you want a bb. Which as we know is headed down.
The issue is to you have to understand business but I would much rather be apple. Why? Because apple can sell the phone at the same price and mAke allot more money. Google makes nothing on the phone at all. Thier only hope is you will use their search engine. If you use bing or yahoo or something then they lose.
VeriZon has already switched all android devices over to bing.

Msft once thought they ruled too and now look. Android is really only growing much here in the the us. Other countries where iPhone is available on any carrier they are #1.

The issue also is if I am a developer I make an app for ios and it now works on millions upon millions of units. For android sure it's up and coming but they have tons of issues and complaints and for a developer I have to make several versions of my app. Then which store do I put it in since there is more then one.

The thing that bugs me about google is theyhad an idea for a phone ANd it was junk. But then they sat on board of apple and sat in on the iPhone discussions and then decided hey apple has a better product let's make something like that.

Apple leads everyone else follows. I love competition but I love true competition where someone else does not play copy cat.
My whole point was many developers don't want to mess with android because it's so fragmented between phones and GUIs and so forth. Many of the phones can't upgrade and some crash allot.

Apple is no more closed then anyone else. You can blame AT&T for things like no wifi hotspot on the phone.

#13 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

^ This guy....:thats:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about...that is three devices you listed there that Apple will NEVER open up due to arrogance...

With Android, you have (guessing) probably 30 different devices active on all the carriers, and that list is CONSTANTLY growing at an astronomic rate, vs. Apple once every couple years. This is soon to be expanded to tablets as well as smartphones as well. Android is clearly on a rocket ship and there is most likely no end in sight.

Yea androids so far badly copied tablets. And maybe you don't know but android as google has stated is not made to be blown up on a large device it was written for phones. So far the only ones look like copies other then smaller of the iPad. And they are being panned pretty bad. I have no doubt the iPad will remain the #1 tablet.
Android can't last forever. Again a company not getting anything out of this how long will shareholders allow then to throw money at something and not make it back. Oh wait msft has been doing that for years on everything lol.

#14 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

I was able to use the $30 Android app on my HTC Hero with Android 2.1 although very cluddgy. It won't work on my EVO which has 2.2. It turns the EVO into a remote. When I tried just now when it was supposed to be playing a recorded program it never enlarged the thumbnail. I also had my 922 on listening to a bit of music and when I went back in the family room this is what was on the screen. This is definitely not what was in the thumbnail. The Jetsons were on FX this am when I checked to see if we had lost it and I guess it was still on that tuner. When I clicked Swap the Jetsons went away and when I clicked again the same thing came back.

I tried Dish Remote but the EVO doesn't like the video stream. It will play the stream when I pick a movie on Dishonline. Still a bit of work on Dish's end, yeah? :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0009.jpg

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Apple leads everyone else follows. I love competition but I love true competition where someone else does not play copy cat.
My whole point was many developers don't want to mess with android because it's so fragmented between phones and GUIs and so forth. Many of the phones can't upgrade and some crash allot.

Apple is no more closed then anyone else. You can blame AT&T for things like no wifi hotspot on the phone.

Fragmentation is a bugaboo; it doesn't really exist. I'm pretty sure based on what you're saying you have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about.

Mainly because in Europe, iPhones are nowhere near #1. It was and is still Nokia.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

According to this article in Engadget 2nd quarter 2010 sales were 33% Android phones, 28% Blackberry and 22% for ibooksrule's vaunted iPhone. Android phones had passed iPhone in the 1st quarter, by the way.

Trying to remain on topic, I think someone at Dish needs to be reminded which is the leading mobile phone OS so we Android users can watch our 922s. :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Pay careful attention to all of these "Android is beating Apple iPhone" reports and you'll find that the "studies" on which they are based have chosen their dates and what they cover very carefully in order to favor Android. Yes, Android is growing rapidly. In the initial quarters after launch, that's what happens. The same thing happened with iPhone, too.

Measuring Apple iPhone sales at their low point (everybody knows a new one is coming around June), with a massive new model leak saturating even the non-tech media, limiting to one country (in which Apple has an long-running and hopefully soon-to-end single carrier exclusive), and even excluding entire market segments in which Apple's iPhone has a rapidly-growing presence in order to make Android phones look more successful than iPhone would be laughable if so many saps didn't swallow it hook, line, and sinker.

Why is this happening? The answer, as usual, likely has much to do with who stands to benefit most from the disinformation.
The only reason Android is growing is because iPhone is available on only AT&T. I read this article and it clearly shows that wherever iPhone is available on multiple carrier Android isn't that big a deal. Also if 2/3 of customer dont have the option to buy the iPhone what do you expect.
http://techztalk.com...ep-rising-in-us

#18 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, NPD chose the dates carefully. The 1st quarter of this year and then the 2nd quarter of this year. And they chose the market area carefully also. The United States. :nono2:

#19 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

According to this article in Engadget 2nd quarter 2010 sales were 33% Android phones, 28% Blackberry and 22% for ibooksrule's vaunted iPhone. Android phones had passed iPhone in the 1st quarter, by the way.

Trying to remain on topic, I think someone at Dish needs to be reminded which is the leading mobile phone OS so we Android users can watch our 922s. :lol:

It is absolutely hilarious to see the "statistics" being used. Aside from the "date picking" MDN rightly points out, there even further glaring problems with the comparisons:

- iPhone vs Android? Surely these "analysts" understand that one is a piece of computer hardware and the other is an operating system. They should be comparing iOS to Android. Otherwise please tell us which Android based phone has outsold the Apple iPhone?

- secondly, why are they looking at percentage of market share between one period and the next? Unless the total number of phones in the marketplace has remained static, then market share means zip. What would be more interesting is how many total devices each manufacturer sold (and is being used in the marketplace) and how many are being sold day to day.
The issue android is facing is its fragmented and some devices cant be upgraded and some can only be upgraded part way.

See the issue i have is Android is broken fragmented and a mess. i have read report after report of issues where it cant be upgraded or cant upgrade to the latest that everyone wants.
I just see it being windows all over again. I mean how long are these companies going to want to do android with patent infringment after infringment coming against them and the fact they are not making any money on it.
http://tech.fortune....ustrys-profits/

#20 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, NPD chose the dates carefully. The 1st quarter of this year and then the 2nd quarter of this year. And they chose the market area carefully also. The United States. :nono2:

Yea i mean its very easy to manipulate data to tip it towards anyone. Well ok not MSFT but the others. I dont think anyone would believe MSFT had a high market share.
I also know that when the exclusive deal with ATT runs out and Apple opens up to the other carriers it will be interesting to see how it goes. Since in Europe where most of the countries have unlocked phones or the iphone is on many carriers iphone is far above the others.
I think android proves more of a threat against MSFT and BB then Apple. Apple has tons and tons of money and they have many loyal followers and They have a great eco system and now with airplay.

But anyway i will stop now i just wanted to state what i was thinking

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timer

spam firewall