Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you pay $30 for a first run DVD??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

http://news.cnet.com...l?tag=cnetRiver

NO!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

A lot would depend on what the distance is between:

- Theater Release Date
*** What date for available
- Home DVD Date

Just for my family of 4 (two adults, two kids) we spent $38 just on Tickets alone.
We spent another $40 on Popcorn, Drinks, and candy.

I have a 55 inch LED TV, a Stereo System that is pelnty powerfull for my living room.

We only go to two or three movies a year, because of the cost. Not to mention the logistics.

If this model goes through and takes off... then I can easily see my family/friends spending the $30 for the major movies more often.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

I certainly would, I have a theater room and THX Ultra 2 setup, so bring it. It sure would be less expensive to watch in my home than taking my family to see it, in the comfort of my own home too. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

Oh, hell no! To do so would be stupid.

(The ability to delay gratification being a sign of maturity.)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

In a heartbeat. My 106" projection system has been patiently waiting.

#6 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Oh, hell no! To do so would be stupid.

That pretty much suns it up for me.

I'm rather curious to see how the breach of HDCP security will affect this.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#7 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

Nope.

Having not been to the commercial theater in almost 10 years, I'm used to waiting for the DVD/Blu Ray release so I can watch movies in my home theater.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,041 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

If the movie was still in theaters, and people were still talking about it, then maybe. If it was halfway between the release and DVD release, then no.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

I think the last movie I saw in a theater was in 1997 or 1998 and that was only because I had to kill 4 hours. It was either that or drive 1 hour+ each way to home and then back.

Ever since then I wait til they appear on Netflix. Not many of the new titles appeal to me. So many of the new titles seem to plug action or Special effects over telling what the movie is really about in their adverts.

Once they hit Netflix I can tell easily what they are about and decide.

So NO I wouldn't pay a premium!
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#10 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,415 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

It really sounds like some folks took a hiatus from movie going. I know I did, I rented them for the longest time, or purchased them. With the kids though, it is fun to catch it when it is released, especially the animations. The kids love them. Ok, I do too, but the experience is much better than it was, at least for me. However, that said...I guess we all change at some point (grow up?). I don't ever wish to grow up, ok?! :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,219 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

If we are talking about a couple weeks or so before it comes to DVD then NO but otherwise I would consider it especially if it is a movie the entire family really wanted to see.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:10 AM

No, I don't think I would.

I still enjoy going to the theatre occasionally.

#13 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,219 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

I still enjoy going to the theatre occasionally.

It never seems to fail when I go out to a theatre, we either end up in a theatre where someone has to talk during the entire picture or someone has brought an infant and is totally clueless as to why the kid is screaming.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#14 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

When I read the title, I thought it was the ability to buy a DVD of the movie for $30 (while it was still in the theatre). For all the reasons people have said above, my family of 4 could go for that. Based on the article, this looks like a set top box that would somehow stream the movie to your house. Definitely not interested in that.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,777 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

I've invested a large sum of money in my home theater room (construction, equipment, furniture, ect.). No way in hell would I pay that amount for a movie and I can well afford it! This is just more Hollywood greed. The Chinese have a saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

No chance in hell. If I really want to see the movie I’ll go the theater and/or buy the blu-ray. If the movie seems “iffy”, I’ll add it to my Netflix queue. If I’m spending $30 bucks, I want to hold the movie in my hand.

#17 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,041 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

One thing that might help sway me is if the movie is only available in the theaters in 3D. If it is movie I really want to see, and it is available via STB while still in theaters and only in 3D, then I may be more inclined to buy it.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

No chance in hell. If I really want to see the movie I’ll go the theater and/or buy the blu-ray. If the movie seems “iffy”, I’ll add it to my Netflix queue. If I’m spending $30 bucks, I want to hold the movie in my hand.

To play devil's advocate.

How much would it cost you to go to the movie theater to see it?
You still don't get to take it home with you, and hold it in your hand.

In my family case, it can cost us upwards to $60 to go just for the 4 of us.
Mix in that we do often go with other extended members of our family and friends, that evening to the movies can turn into $200 very quickly.

For a fraction of that, we could have some better quality food and drink at home, watch the movie on our schedule, not the movie theaters... And then still hang out or even watch a second movie or play cards, or something else for the rest of the night.

Now... I would still pretty much use my normal justification for watching a Theater Movie, vs waiting for the actual DVD, or even the movie channels. Not like I am going to drop this $30 every weekend. But I may increase from the 3-4 times we go to the theater, to maybe on average 1 a month.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Mix in that we do often go with other extended members of our family and friends, that evening to the movies can turn into $200 very quickly.

For a fraction of that, we could have some better quality food and drink at home, watch the movie on our schedule, not the movie theaters... And then still hang out or even watch a second movie or play cards, or something else for the rest of the night.

Now... I would still pretty much use my normal justification for watching a Theater Movie, vs waiting for the actual DVD, or even the movie channels. Not like I am going to drop this $30 every weekend. But I may increase from the 3-4 times we go to the theater, to maybe on average 1 a month.

You do have good points. Far more $$ to take the whole family to the movies. However, you can spend less than $30 (and keep the movie) get better picture and sound, and still do all the fun activities (cards, good food etc.). I guess it all comes down to how long do you want to wait to see a movie. I personally put A/V quality ahead of swiftness. Peace

#20 ONLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

But why not wait a bit longer until it comes out on Blu Ray and buy the movie for less than $30? Then you have the same experience you're talking about, but you own it and can watch it whenever you want.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...