Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Would you pay $30 for a first run DVD??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,367 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hollywood Money Making: A film is produced on a budget with the goal being recouping their envestment followed by a profit. This is accomplished with it's theatrical release, foreign and domestic. If the film was a mega hit it is re-released theatrically for more profits. It is then placed on the ppv market. "More" profit. Then comes the DVD release. "More" profit. Premium channels then pay for the right to broadcast the film followed by national channels. "More" profits x2. And now this new concept to achieve "more" profits.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

But why not wait a bit longer until it comes out on Blu Ray and buy the movie for less than $30? Then you have the same experience you're talking about, but you own it and can watch it whenever you want.

Don't get me wrong... there are plenty of movies that I will wait for the optical version to come out (and I do selectively purchase blu-rays)

For example, the new Harry Potter movie that is comming out this fall... we have waited a long time for it, and my wife and I are big fans of the books and the movie series. We don't want to wait yet another 6 months for it to hit optical.

Same for this past summer, with Toy Story 3 (as a family).
As a group of friends, we couldn't wait to see A-Team.

So there are several movies that we want to see when the hit the theaters, but in most cases I do wait for optical, or premium channel release.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,367 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have never enjoyed a movie less for having waited for it's DVD release or premium channel broadcast. I gave up "having to be one of the first" when I was in high school.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#24 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,427 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

I would only if I was throwing a movie party. I have never thrown a movie party.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have never enjoyed a movie less for having waited for it's DVD release or premium channel broadcast. I gave up "having to be one of the first" when I was in high school.

Ditto. I'll admit when we first gave up the commercial theater 10 years ago, the first year was rough because anything coming out on DVD, we had already seen in the theater. After that, it was easy, because now there's always something good coming out on BD/DVD every couple of weeks, just like there's always something new coming to the theater.

The hardest was waiting for the LOTR extended versions to come to DVD each year at xmas. I almost caved and went to see ROTK at the theater, but I'm glad I waited, because it was well worth seeing it in my theater for the first time.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

Oh, hell no! To do so would be stupid.

(The ability to delay gratification being a sign of maturity.)

The ability to recognize that other's preferences maybe different from yours and not criticize them for it is a sign of wisdom.

#27 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

~~~ In Loving Memory of ~~~ Lisa Sullivan

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,086 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

Touché. Well said!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#28 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,246 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

I would watch it both upfront, like Earl points out sever of the movies he mentioned, we couldn't wait for, and, we're also going to purchase them. To me it is a matter of entertainment, not a cost driver in the least. All of the movies we will purchase on BluRay we've already seen in the theaters, in fact we prefer to see them first to see if we do indeed like them. I won't purchase a movie blindly (for the optical backup). I could wait until it comes out on a Premium channel, but how long is that? I like discussing movies at the "water cooler" when they come out, for the intrinsic value of conversation and social aspects of it. All fun stuff! ;)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#29 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

I like discussing movies at the "water cooler" when they come out, for the intrinsic value of conversation and social aspects of it. All fun stuff! ;)

I don't like talking to people, so that aspect is out for me.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

I won't purchase a movie blindly (for the optical backup).

I used to buy all the "great new movies" on Tuesday when they came out. First on DVD then BR. And we would watch most of them. But as our daughter got older, we stopped watching as many and they started piling up unwatched. Finally stopped when I realized I had several hundred dollars worth of BR that hadn't been watched and probably weren't going to get watched.

Now I just wait for the movie to show up on the premiums. Last movie I bought was The Hangover and that was because I had to see it again ASAP.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

spam firewall