Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What receiver do new installs get?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

DTV is coming out tomorrow for a new install at my home. I'm wondering if I'm able to get the latest DVR the HR24-500. I got the premium package with NFL Sunday Ticket and the HD-DVR. Any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Boomer38

Boomer38

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

Let us know what you got.. ;)

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hate to tell you this, but in my area, they are bringing out units such as (refurbed) HR20's & HR21 - even in spite of a sub wanting MRV... :eek:

The techs here say they can't keep up with all the demand just for MRV alone, & that at first they were getting H/HR24's, & now all they seem to get are units such as the ones I mentioned.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:45 AM

DTV is coming out tomorrow for a new install at my home. I'm wondering if I'm able to get the latest DVR the HR24-500. I got the premium package with NFL Sunday Ticket and the HD-DVR. Any ideas?

Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

That's a good question because we don't really know the answer. If you have a chance before the install, try to call the installer and ask what they have and what they're installing. You might be able to make arrangements to get a certain model DVR...no guarantees though. The way the system is setup, whichever DVR they have in their supply chain is what they are installing. :shrug:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

Are you getting the Whole House DVR, too, Nocturnal? The plan was that all those new installs would get HR24 DVRs and H24 receivers. With the great DVR shortage, that plan has gone out the window, but it still is the plan.

As has been said upthread, talk to the installer before he comes and tell him what you want. That's your best bet.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

Order WHOLE HOME DVR SERVICE w/internet connection kit. Best way to get the HR24 is to ask the installer when he calls (like said above), saying that you will wait until he can acquire one. This is what I did with my 3 HR24-500's. I called in to reschedule when the installer said they didn't have any. Two weeks later the installer called and said they had them. I've had all the various models of these DVR's and the HR24's are definitely the best, no others compare.

None of the other models were even ENERGYSTAR qualified, which the HR24 is. The HR24's don't get nearly as hot as the other models either, which would account for the energy efficiency as well as responding faster to commands. Be sure to get the new 2way remote to, my older RC64 remotes don't respond as fast as the new RC65X remotes.

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

None of the other models were even ENERGYSTAR qualified, which the HR24 is. The HR24's don't get nearly as hot as the other models either, which would account for the energy efficiency as well as responding faster to commands. Be sure to get the new 2way remote to, my older RC64 remotes don't respond as fast as the new RC65X remotes.

While there are many reasons to prefer the HR24, there are other DVRs that are ENERGYSTAR qualified. This document shows that the HR22-100 and the HR23-700 are also qualified.
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Weird, none of my other DVR manuals ever stated being ENERGYSTAR compliant. Hard to believe they ever were, considering just how hot they always got when operating and even to the touch. These HR24's run much cooler according to the internal operating screen than my previous DVR's and are barely warm to the touch, which must contribute to more overall energy savings and performance. Gonna have to pull out the "KILL A WATT" to be sure.

#9 OFFLINE   mdrew

mdrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

I logged onto this sight to gather some info on the HR24-200 and saw this question.

I just swapped to DTV. They installed it yesterday. I ordered the whole home set up with the Sunday NFL ticket. I ended up with the 24-200.

I have an External hard drive and was wondering if there is anything special I need to do to get the DVR to recognize it. I was using it with cable provider's box.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...