Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H21-200 No Signal over HDMI to Samsung LCD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yesterday, I noticed I had no signal on this receiver. I tried a red button reset, unplugging for 15 seconds, running a new HDMI cable, even switching HDMI inputs on the TV. Nothing worked, except for connecting the receiver via S-Video.

When I went to unplug the receiver, I did notice the box was rather hot (not burn your hand hot) but close. I let it cool off for a while, thinking that may be part of the problem, tried again, but still got nothing through HDMI.

Is there anything I'm missing here? This box has been fine for 3+ years. I doubt I have 2 bad HDMI cables all of the sudden. Could the HDMI output on the receiver go bad? What should my next step be?

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Yes, it's possible, especially if the receiver was running hot. Call DirecTV and tell them that you aren't getting any signal from your receiver to your TV. Don't elaborate or speculate as to the cause; you'll only confuse things. Follow their troubleshooting steps, and when they fail, they'll schedule a service call.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

The HDMI chip probably burned up.
If you connect the TV with Component cables ( Red , Blue and Green for Video and Red and White or Digital or Optical for Audio ) you can get the same picture as with the HDMI.

The only drawback is you can not play a 1080p/24 movie using them.

Press and hold the Info button for about 3 to 4 seconds and it will take you to the System Info Screen. Your Internal Operating Temperature will be shown on the first or secon page of that info.
My unit runs between 111 and 118° all the time.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

The HDMI chip probably burned up.
If you connect the TV with Component cables ( Red , Blue and Green for Video and Red and White or Digital or Optical for Audio ) you can get the same picture as with the HDMI.

The only drawback is you can not play a 1080p/24 movie using them.

Press and hold the Info button for about 3 to 4 seconds and it will take you to the System Info Screen. Your Internal Operating Temperature will be shown on the first or secon page of that info.
My unit runs between 111 and 118° all the time.

The TV is only 720P, so the resolution part wouldn't matter, but my 2 component inputs are tied up currently. HDMI is my only option.

I'll give DirecTV a call and see what they say.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

The TV is only 720P, so the resolution part wouldn't matter, but my 2 component inputs are tied up currently. HDMI is my only option.

I'll give DirecTV a call and see what they say.

Still, use Native OFF and set the resolution to 720p Edit: Deleted reference to HDMI since it is a problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

Gave DirecTV a call tonight, explained my problem, CSR walked me through a couple troubleshooting steps; switching resolutions on receiver, unplugging an replugging in HDMI multiple times, resetting TV, and receiver. Still had no picture through HDMI. I told her I could get picture through S-Video, so she had me do that and look at some menus to make sure everything was right. It was.

She then asked if I could connect the receiver up to the TV with component cables (I don't have any) to see if that worked. She said if it did, I would just have to use that because they offer the same picture quality. I told her I had Wii and PS2 using component jacks. She said you may have to get a splitter or something or just unplug stuff when I want to use it. That's not acceptable to me. I realize I have a million old RCA cables that I could temporarily hook-up to test the component connection. She tells me to try those then call back if it doesn't work. I just had a movers install 88 days ago and it's warranted for 90 days so a service call would be free. If it does work, I just have to live without HDMI.

I hang up, try the RCA cables, and it works. Knowing if I call back and tell them that, they're going to say "sorry, just use the component cables, they're the exact same HD quality picture", I try to prove it's the receiver. I bring my HD-DVR in, plug it up, and it works. Using the same TV and HDMI cable as before. I take the HD receiver and try it where the HD-DVR was and get no picture. Boom, Roasted.

Call DirecTV back, explain the situation again, how the problem follows the receiver. They agree to setup a free service call since I'm in my "90 days since initial install" period. Hopefully they'll just replace the receiver and be done with it. I'll keep this thread updated.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Gave DirecTV a call tonight, explained my problem, CSR walked me through a couple troubleshooting steps; switching resolutions on receiver, unplugging an replugging in HDMI multiple times, resetting TV, and receiver. Still had no picture through HDMI. I told her I could get picture through S-Video, so she had me do that and look at some menus to make sure everything was right. It was.

She then asked if I could connect the receiver up to the TV with component cables (I don't have any) to see if that worked. She said if it did, I would just have to use that because they offer the same picture quality. I told her I had Wii and PS2 using component jacks. She said you may have to get a splitter or something or just unplug stuff when I want to use it. That's not acceptable to me. I realize I have a million old RCA cables that I could temporarily hook-up to test the component connection. She tells me to try those then call back if it doesn't work. I just had a movers install 88 days ago and it's warranted for 90 days so a service call would be free. If it does work, I just have to live without HDMI.

I hang up, try the RCA cables, and it works. Knowing if I call back and tell them that, they're going to say "sorry, just use the component cables, they're the exact same HD quality picture", I try to prove it's the receiver. I bring my HD-DVR in, plug it up, and it works. Using the same TV and HDMI cable as before. I take the HD receiver and try it where the HD-DVR was and get no picture. Boom, Roasted.

Call DirecTV back, explain the situation again, how the problem follows the receiver. They agree to setup a free service call since I'm in my "90 days since initial install" period. Hopefully they'll just replace the receiver and be done with it. I'll keep this thread updated.

Them telling you that the HDMI feature is not enough to get a replacement is BS. I called the PP a couple times and they told me the same thing. Then I called the PP a third time and they referred me to the Case Management Group. The CMG called me back within minutes. They agreed that the HR's bad HDMI port (it was an owned 20-700, I could see where a previous owner had tried to remove the HDMI port and had really screwed it up. Apparently he tried to dig it out with a screwdriver.) was enough to warrant a replacement. Naturally the replacement was bad (it was so noisy I couldn't stand it) and that morphed into a 24-200. Took a while, but I ended up happy. :)

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   woodardhsd

woodardhsd

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Tech just got finished installing a brand new H24 (well, I installed it, he programmed it). The problem appears to be fixed.

Now if I can just get my network connection back up and running......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...