Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 20 generating noise on AM band.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   onchiman

onchiman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

I've got a problem with radio frequency noise coming from my HR-20. I have an outdoor long wire AM antenna. The HR-20 emits a steady 60 cycle noise on the AM band that's really pronounced. The HR-20 is grounded properly to the electrical ground via the dish. I tried unplugging the two converters, no change. The noise is there as long as the unit is plugged in. If I unplug the power cord, all is quiet. As soon as I plug it back in the radio noise starts again. Has anyone run into this issue and if so how did you solve it? I unplug the unit when I want to listen to the radio then plug it back in when I'm done. It's rather annoying when I want to listen to the local high school football games and wife wants to watch tv. Seems like it could be a power supply noise. Should i contact DTV and see if I can swap it for another?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

Try plugging it into a UPS, or run a ground wire from the DVR case to the center screw on your outlet (assuming your outlet box is metal), if plastic, you will have to remove the cover plate and attach it directly to the green ground wire connection inside (after making sure the breaker is off).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Be sure that both units are plugged into the same circuit (helps avoid ground loops) and that if the radio has a non-polarized plug, flip that around. Also, keep the antenna a far away from the DVR as possible, as it may not be a ground issue but direct pickup radiation. Also make sure the antenna does not run parallel with any power cords. You could try a ground lifter too.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...