Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ext Hard Drive can share between 2 DVRs? monthly cost 2nd DVR?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I currently have a VIP722 DVR with an external hard drive. I'm looking at buying my own VIP722K to put in the bedroom. I asked DISH about this and they said no activation fee for VIP722K but $14/mo more having it. That figure sounds really high to me - is that what others are paying for a 2nd DVR in their home?

Second question, can the external hard drive from my VIP722 be shared with the VIP722K if I activate the VIP722K on my same account in my same home?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Yes you can share the drive between DVRs on your acount.
A second DUO DVR would be an additional $17 a month.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

A cheaper solution may be to by a 211 and a EHD turning it into a HD DVR. One time fee of $40 to activate ability to use EHD. Monthly cost would be $7/mo. You would NOT be able to move EHD's between 211 and 722 though.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

If the new DVR you're contemplating is your second box and unless you're going to tinker with the insides of the unit, there is no advantage to buying.

The monthly fee for a Duo DVR is $17. (The $14 is for a Duo Receiver.) This is for each and every one other than your first, whether you own them or not.

You could save some money depending on your needs. The ViP612DVR is considered a Solo DVR which is $10. It has two satellite and one OTA receiver so it can record three programs at a time just like the 722. It cannot do PIP. Of course, a 722k does have two OTA receivers when you buy the module.

While the difference between $17 and $10 is only $84 a year, if that bedroom unit isn't going to get a lot of use other than recording things for your EHD you may want to consider the 612. I use a 722 and a 612, but I'm cheap. My experience with the 612 is it's a little kludgy - underpowered - so if you're going to use it to regularly watch HD recordings skipping commercials while simultaneously recording two or three HD programs, get the 722k.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall