Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Camera Phones At Work?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: What are the restrictions on camera phones at work (83 member(s) have cast votes)

What are the restrictions on camera phones at work

1. I have camera phone restrictions where I work. (21 votes [25.30%])

Percentage of vote: 25.30%

2. I know someone who has camera phone restrictions at their job. (10 votes [12.05%])

Percentage of vote: 12.05%

3. I have, and I know other companies locally, who have camera phone restrictions at work. (10 votes [12.05%])

Percentage of vote: 12.05%

4. I do not have, nor do I know anyone who has, camera phone restrictions at work (42 votes [50.60%])

Percentage of vote: 50.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Every time I see someone ask a question about finding a cell phone without a camera, there are always those who say there aren’t enough people affected by this to worry about it.

This got me to wondering just how many people have restrictions on cameras phones at work.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

We don't, but I've seen several "business" models of phones that are identical except the camera's removed.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

I have a personal restriction against camera phones. Since I freelance, does that count? :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

I do not have, nor do I know anyone who has, camera phone restrictions at work

They tend to frown on it at the stip clubs though.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

I do not have, nor do I know anyone who has, camera phone restrictions at work

They tend to frown on it at the stip clubs though.

Ba-Dum-Bump-Crash :lol:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

We don't, but some of our clients do, so they either have to get a phone without a camera, or leave it with security. For obvious reasons, security wouldn't care if I had disabled the user's camera.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

We don't, but some of our clients do, so they either have to get a phone without a camera, or leave it with security. For obvious reasons, security wouldn't care if I had disabled the user's camera.

I found a couple of sites will remove cameras but it seems to be targeted at iPhones.

Then there's always those posts/sites that give you step by step tear down of a phone. I found one for the Captivate but I think I'll stick to swapping my SIM to my other phone when I go to work. :grin:

Mike

µß

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

I know people who work at very large facilities that require cell phones to be checked in when they arrive at work, not as uncommon as you think. Most R&D facilities are like this. You will probably find that in these same facilities USB ports on PC's are disabled and the PC have no DVD or CD burners installed.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

I think its time for folks to wake up to the fact that you can get decent quality video out of a camera smaller than a 9volt battery and understand that a camera phone should be the least of their concerns. A camera phone is as much a threat in most cases as a non pirate is to the movie business. You will inconvenience the honest people but the criminals, they will laugh at your efforts.

Maybe someone should try to completely bathe an area in high levels of IR. This might cause most digital cameras to at the very least wash out. Privacy form hidden cameras is gone. Time to accept that and move forward.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

I know people who work at very large facilities that require cell phones to be checked in when they arrive at work, not as uncommon as you think. Most R&D facilities are like this. You will probably find that in these same facilities USB ports on PC's are disabled and the PC have no DVD or CD burners installed.

Our USB ports used to be disabled. However now they’re enabled but we have an encryption program that automatically encrypts anything written to it. The idea being that you can only read what’s on it from another machine with the same program.

Mike

µß

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

I think its time for folks to wake up to the fact that you can get decent quality video out of a camera smaller than a 9volt battery and understand that a camera phone should be the least of their concerns. A camera phone is as much a threat in most cases as a non pirate is to the movie business. You will inconvenience the honest people but the criminals, they will laugh at your efforts.

Maybe someone should try to completely bathe an area in high levels of IR. This might cause most digital cameras to at the very least wash out. Privacy form hidden cameras is gone. Time to accept that and move forward.

They can take a decent enough still to get some good info. I do agree with you though. Restricting camera phones is like putting a lock on your shed...it just keeps honest people honest. :grin:

Mike

µß

#12 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

I work for a contract company that does work for the Government & Military so there are restrictions on camera phones. Until last year, no one at the company could have a company-owned camera phone. Now, though, those who work at non-Government or Military sites can get them (or rather, the phones provided for non-Government & Military sites now have cameras).

#13 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

They can take a decent enough still to get some good info. I do agree with you though. Restricting camera phones is like putting a lock on your shed...it just keeps honest people honest. :grin:

See now youre hearin me ;) its just like the BS laptop searches at the border when anyone could swallow a wax coated microsd card and carry that with no laptop. Do they really expect a competent terrorist to have their plans to blow up something in power point or an mp3 so they can observe the plans? Seriously?

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

See now youre hearin me ;) its just like the BS laptop searches at the border when anyone could swallow a wax coated microsd card and carry that with no laptop. Do they really expect a competent terrorist to have their plans to blow up something in power point or an mp3 so they can observe the plans? Seriously?

In the end though, it doesn't change the fact that restrictions exist. Regardless of the futility of those restrictions, they are in place and are not likely to go away any time soon.

The real question is, are decent smart phones ever going to be available without cameras. When AT&T comes to work they bring some basic non-camera phones (all crap) and can special order a few BlackBerry’s without a camera (don’t remember which models). Beyond that there’s nothing. :shrug:

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 29 September 2010 - 12:52 PM.

µß

#15 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

My wife's company issued Blackberry has the camera disabled through their server. Not sure if they outright ban camera phones as lots of people she works with bring their own phones every day and they have functional cameras on them.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#16 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Mike, as you know, I work in a highly sensitive environment, camera phones are a huge no-no. To that end, cellular phones are outlawed too. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

Mike, as you know, I work in a highly sensitive environment, camera phones are a huge no-no. To that end, cellular phones are outlawed too. :)

We have a couple of areas where there are no electronic devices of any kind allowed. For 99% of the facility cell phones (sans camera) are allowed.

Mike

µß

#18 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

I know at least one Nudist resort that restricts all cell phones to an out-of-the-way area that is visually blocked from the other areas of the resort.

#19 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

I know at least one Nudist resort that restricts all cell phones to an out-of-the-way area that is visually blocked from the other areas of the resort.

http://www.thinkgeek.../security/c3eb/ ;)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#20 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

http://www.thinkgeek.../security/c3eb/ ;)

Exactly my earlier point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...